Never meet your heroes

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Never meet your heroes

Post by Michael O. » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:43 pm

Thankfully and luckily I’ve never experienced this. Maybe it has to do with my (overly) tempered expectations or my tendency to (over-) research, but regardless of whether it’s massive vintage synths, UREI compressors, vintage Neumann mics, Lexicon mainframe reverbs, or any of the other old classics I know and love, all of these pieces have met or exceeded my expectations, and they see near-constant and highly enjoyable use.

As for literally meeting my human heroes, oof, that’s usually been a mixed bag of the inspiring, the saddening, and/or the mundane.

Edit: the one major caveat to what I’ve already posted is tape machines. Most of the classics I’ve used have been utterly disappointing, obviously in terms of workflow (tape machine operation and maintenance is brutal any way you slice it), but even in terms of sound. Even some of the most well-regarded machines can sound boring and uninspiring compared to digital (I’m looking at you, Sony/MCI 24 tracks). However, there have been exceptions that have absolutely blown me away- some older devices, in particular old 2 or 4 track Ampexes, Studers, and the like, can be absolutely breathtaking in sound and relatively simple in workflow. Even the 3m multitracks blow away the ubiquitous MCI’s to me, but maybe it’s a different strokes for different folks sort of situation?

BTG
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BTG » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:36 pm

Waldorf Q+ and Macbeth Elements -- maximum wait/excitement that turned into 'meh'

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:42 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:44 pm
6036E6D5-E3D2-42C6-8016-92DD506DA39D.jpeg
I had this tee shirt... when I was 15
I was so stupid
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:50 pm

bphenix wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:42 am
I’ve bought and sold a Jupiter-6 several times and even moddded one with Europa. Just couldn’t get into it, though I know it is a great synth.
What didn’t you like about it? I’ve been considering getting one for a while now but have never played one

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:54 pm

Severed head wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:42 pm
I was so stupid
OG Manson shirts fetch high prices online. Should’ve kept it.
TOO FAR GONE

Severed head
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Severed head » Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:22 pm

Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:54 pm
Severed head wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:42 pm
I was so stupid
OG Manson shirts fetch high prices online. Should’ve kept it.
Yeah T-shirts in general
It’s boxed with others stuff in a outbuild from a move to stay with friends for a whole summer overseas actually
Got a cool one with a cop holding a gun to his head.
Incesticide in olive. Some other
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

bphenix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by bphenix » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:13 pm

gloamtrotter wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:50 pm
bphenix wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:42 am
I’ve bought and sold a Jupiter-6 several times and even moddded one with Europa. Just couldn’t get into it, though I know it is a great synth.
What didn’t you like about it? I’ve been considering getting one for a while now but have never played one
There is nothing wrong with it, it just never seemed to suit what I was looking for or perhaps its suite spot wasn’t mine.

If I had to pin it down, it didn’t have the richness I had with synths like the Prophet 5 or Jupiter 8 or even the MKS70 nor was a pad machine without dripping it with effects. It didn’t cut like early Waldorf. I think it may be a dream for arpeggios but that wasn’t what I was looking for. I think it as a more expensive Juno 106, which is another synth which is a nice synth but not something I feel I am missing even though I’ve spent a lot time with. Horses for courses, and all.

Like others have said, there are some great modern machines. The vintage stuff is fantastic and there are some worthy of their place but much is also fetishized and reflect the skill of those who use may have used them.

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:43 pm

Nice, I adore my Juno 106 so that bodes well for me haha. I've heard people mention that it's colder than the JP8, but the JP8 goes for like $8k more so I would hope so. The layout looks really inviting and fun to play though and that's what I'm after most of all.

Thanks for elaborating :drinking:

inoshi
Wiggling with Experience

Post by inoshi » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:29 pm

this is how i feel every time i buy something. it takes me months to like anything.

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:35 pm

I've had a 909 for a few months and it instantly made me realize just how hard I'd been working to get my drums to groove. Every time I get my hands on classic gear like that I immediately "get it". With one exception, the Juno 106. It's not bad at all, just completely underwhelming after wanting one for so long. I honestly prefer the Alpha Juno.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:17 am

daphnid wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:35 pm
I've had a 909 for a few months and it instantly made me realize just how hard I'd been working to get my drums to groove. Every time I get my hands on classic gear like that I immediately "get it". With one exception, the Juno 106. It's not bad at all, just completely underwhelming after wanting one for so long. I honestly prefer the Alpha Juno.
100% agree with the 909...instant groove with the most stupid of the pstterns you program...hsrd to achieve this with other gear...I don´t believe in magic but this thing desserve its status
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am
one of the reasons Buchla synths were originally appealing precisely because they were cheaper than moog, and you could probably trade drugs for them.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:40 am

Boss SP-303 - I worked it to the core with oversampling and use of FX until I could not stand the inherent sound of the otherwise lovely little box anymore.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:47 am

anselmi wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:17 am
daphnid wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:35 pm
100% agree with the 909...instant groove with the most stupid of the pstterns you program...hsrd to achieve this with other gear...I don´t believe in magic but this thing desserve its status
It's all about the dynamics! It also just has the perfect amount of slop. With modern gear you have to go manually set all that stuff and the 909 just does incredibly musical dynamics by default. I picked up an MPC 2000XL in a trade a while back and it's so much easier to get grooving than my Rytm MK1 because you can actually use the pads to get a nice subtle dynamic range instead of holding down each trig and manually adjusting velocity. Doing it in Live with those little velocity bars on the piano roll? :bang: Now I wanna try a 3000

sutekina bipu-on
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sutekina bipu-on » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:40 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:26 am
sutekina bipu-on wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:12 am
Voltcontrol wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:56 am
Have you experienced finally getting your hands on a piece of gear you'd been lusting after- or were inspired by for ages and being deeply disappointed by what you found yourself with?

I had this with the TB303.
Lol you couldnt have bought any of the 10000 303 clones out there to see if you get on with it before getting the real thing?
You are making an incorrect assumption. I've been in love with Acid (music) since me early teens. I dj'ed for a couple of years already when I got in contact with a local electronic music artist and went over to jam on the gear in his studio (I didn't own anything besides DJ decks and a mixer). First thing I went for was the 303 and based on my reaction he recognized the disappointment and laughed. "Try the SH-101 mate" was what he said in response and after apprehensively playing it I very quickly realized what it was exactly the sounds of that instrument which I was after. That said I have used several TB303 software emulations to good effect, but it is definitely not the hero instrument I thought it to be. I always remember this experience whan I have GAS.

>

Some very interesting comparable experiences shared already, thanks for chipping in everyone.
I stopped reading halfway thru cause all my tears from reading this post were clouding my vision!

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:36 am

ObsoleteModular wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:12 pm
tIB wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:41 am
Oh and Octatrack - i'd long dreamed of a full elektron sampler since playing with the MDUW. I still have the Machinedrum, don't get me started on the Octatrack.
The thing that surprised me about the Octatrack was that the sample machines didn't actually have that many parameters. Sure all the delights come from the combination of everything but even so, I was surprised.

And I also flipped mine.
I'd forgotten I had an Octatrack. There is not one thing I liked about it. Not one thing. I feel like there must be something very awesome about people who like it. I can't get into the Digitone either. I should sell it.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:41 am

dubonaire wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:36 am
ObsoleteModular wrote:
tIB wrote:
Oh and Octatrack - i'd long dreamed of a full elektron sampler since playing with the MDUW. I still have the Machinedrum, don't get me started on the Octatrack.
The thing that surprised me about the Octatrack was that the sample machines didn't actually have that many parameters. Sure all the delights come from the combination of everything but even so, I was surprised.

And I also flipped mine.
I'd forgotten I had an Octatrack. There is not one thing I liked about it. Not one thing. I feel like there must be something very awesome about people who like it. I can't get into the Digitone either. I should sell it.
I wonder which devices fill the spot(s) you had imagined the OT to take in your setup.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:44 am

Little deformer 2 along with the MDUW I already had in my case.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:14 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:41 am
dubonaire wrote:
ObsoleteModular wrote:
tIB wrote:

And I also flipped mine.
I wonder which devices fill the spot(s) you had imagined the OT to take in your setup.
It never created a spot for itself that needed filling. But for samples I now use an SP-16 and an ER-301.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:40 am

dubonaire wrote:
I'd forgotten I had an Octatrack.
Lolz! There's an endorsement.

The new Elektron Octatrack. You'll forget you've got it!

Ricky Tinez, who I really rate, loves his but if you actually dig down and work out what he uses it for it's NOT as a sampler.

otnemem
Common Wiggler

Post by otnemem » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:27 am

dubonaire wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:14 am
Voltcontrol wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
ObsoleteModular wrote:
tIB wrote:

And I also flipped mine.
It never created a spot for itself that needed filling. But for samples I now use an SP-16 and an ER-301.
I’ve been wanting an octatrack for ages now but have an ER-301 on the way. I have pretty high expectations and hoping that this will kill my interest in an octatrack

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:36 am

otnemem wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:27 am
dubonaire wrote:
Voltcontrol wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
ObsoleteModular wrote:
tIB wrote:

And I also flipped mine.
I’ve been wanting an octatrack for ages now but have an ER-301 on the way. I have pretty high expectations and hoping that this will kill my interest in an octatrack
I had a MDUW for a looong time and when I got the OT it baffled me. Took about 2-3 years for me to fully appreciate it. Sometimes you're just spacing out at work or something and have "ah-ha" moment about some trick you could do. You start to accumulate these over time and the Octatrack starts to reveal itself. It's a machine that rewards patience, dedication, and creative thinking. Not for everyone but I personally couldn't imagine not having it. Absolutely brilliant for both composition and performance and so easy to curl up on the couch with when you don't feel like sitting in the studio, which is huge for me, being able to have that kind of power and depth in that size package. It means I get more hours in making music when I'd otherwise be staring at my phone. I think history will be kind to the Octatrack.

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:43 am

ObsoleteModular wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:40 am
dubonaire wrote:
I'd forgotten I had an Octatrack.
Lolz! There's an endorsement.

The new Elektron Octatrack. You'll forget you've got it!

Ricky Tinez, who I really rate, loves his but if you actually dig down and work out what he uses it for it's NOT as a sampler.

Hahaha! That made me laugh out loud!

People keep talking to me about the MPC but I’m not sure for my music (which is less pattern based and more songwriting) if it would hinder workflow.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

borututu f.
Learning to Wiggle

Post by borututu f. » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:55 am

Good to hear about some of these shiny expensive things being overrated. These are my favourite disappointments:

Eurorack: endless possibilities, sounds that aren't available from any standalone machine... Just before my 6U 84HP case was full and worth way more than I could actually afford I realised the sounds I made with it weren't so special at all and performing live with this cable mess wouldn't be fun, so I sold it all again.

MI Ambika: crazy digital oscillators through real analog filters, hard to find a fully assembled one, had to be the unique polysynth I was looking for. Sounded muffled and boring regardless of which oscillator type I chose and UI wasn't a lot of fun either.

Technics WSA1R: mystical physical modelling synth from the 90s, must yield sounds never heard before by mankind. I bought one for way too much money from a strange old guy who loved it for realistic accordion sounds. Turned out to be a rompler and the physical modelling aspect was kinda neglible. I made a cool demo though.

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by th0mas » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:56 am

dubonaire wrote:

I owned a mk1 when it first came out, it sat unused, I sold it. I would take it off the shelf once and awhile, make some loops out of samples, get frustrated and put it back.

Like 8 years later I bought a mk2, it sat unused for a few months, until I was starting to build a live set and wanted a mixer with sequenceable effects, and oh hey I can play some samples with it too, oh hey it could MIDI sequence this part, oh hey I could live loop my x0xb0x and layer a second part on top, oh hey I could do master effects, oh hey...

now it's indispensable to me, my main MIDI sequencer and centre of my setup whether live or in my music room.

The key breakthrough was not treating it like a sample playback machine and treating it like a mixer of other gear. Once I wasn't immediately dealing with loading and chopping samples, and just running audio through it, it became pretty quick and versatile.

It still has lots of rough edges (like no level meter to see how hot each track is), but it's super useful if you can integrate with it.

tIB
Stainer!

Post by tIB » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:47 am

The very worse thing about the octatrack for me was that I had to suffer months of people telling me my broken unit was 'a very complex machine' and insinuating I didn't understand how to use it. Erm, no it was broken. In fairness I found plenty of other things that annoyed me about it, but that period was incredibly frustrating.

Anyway, I absolutely could use the Octatrack, I just never enjoyed using it... and ironically I never found it that complex!

Return to “General Gear”