Never meet your heroes

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Never meet your heroes

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:58 am

daphnid wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:36 am
I had a MDUW for a looong time
I hope you still have it :tu: my personal favorite Elektron box
TOO FAR GONE

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:31 pm

I've had the good fortune of "meeting" a few of my heroes over the years and only the Minimoog has truly surpassed the hype. It really is a sublime instrument that got so much right out of the gate. I can look past its flaws like note priority, lack of retriggering, no sync or sweepable PWM, etc, and just appreciate how wonderful and playable it is. Everything on the front panel gets used.

The Odyssey and the SEM lived up to the hype for me but didn't exceed it. Great instruments in their own ways, but lacking that last 10% of jaw drop that would make them keepers. The modern iterations are more than good enough for me.

Everything else from the putative golden age has underwhelmed me to some degree, though in fairness I've never spent time on a 2600 or any of the old school modular gear from before 1980. The 303 was dreadful and I thought so when they were "only" fetching $700 for minty examples. It was an Eighties Timbrewolf. Never bonded with the Pro-One either and was eager to see the back of it. It felt like it was going to break every time I touched it.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:35 pm

borututu f. wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:55 am

MI Ambika: crazy digital oscillators through real analog filters, hard to find a fully assembled one, had to be the unique polysynth I was looking for. Sounded muffled and boring regardless of which oscillator type I chose and UI wasn't a lot of fun either.
I tried to convince myself several times that the Ambika was a good instrument but it had aliasing that would've been horribly unacceptable on a late '80s instrument, and with an equally arcane OS. What a thoroughly unpleasant piece of gear.

cornutt
Fig juggler

Post by cornutt » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:00 pm

I look at a lot of these classics the way I'd look at a Model A Ford:

A classic that helped define a genre: yes
Fun to play with: yes
Daily driver: no
Sequence 15 -- sequence15.blogspot.com

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:23 pm

3hands wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:43 am
ObsoleteModular wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:40 am
dubonaire wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:36 am
I'd forgotten I had an Octatrack.
Lolz! There's an endorsement.

The new Elektron Octatrack. You'll forget you've got it!

Ricky Tinez, who I really rate, loves his but if you actually dig down and work out what he uses it for it's NOT as a sampler.

Hahaha! That made me laugh out loud!

People keep talking to me about the MPC but I’m not sure for my music (which is less pattern based and more songwriting) if it would hinder workflow.
Same. I went through lots of hardware sequencers but for songwriting I can't find anything that suits me better than a DAW

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:19 pm

tIB wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:47 am
The very worse thing about the octatrack for me was that I had to suffer months of people telling me my broken unit was 'a very complex machine' and insinuating I didn't understand how to use it. Erm, no it was broken. In fairness I found plenty of other things that annoyed me about it, but that period was incredibly frustrating.

Anyway, I absolutely could use the Octatrack, I just never enjoyed using it... and ironically I never found it that complex!
That's a funny story, but must have been frustrating.

I'm not impressed by the audio coming out of it, same for the Digitone.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:15 pm

borututu f. wrote:
MI Ambika: crazy digital oscillators through real analog filters, hard to find a fully assembled one, had to be the unique polysynth I was looking for. Sounded muffled and boring regardless of which oscillator type I chose and UI wasn't a lot of fun either.
oh, yes! this one! what a deception.
I tried a Shruthi before, loved the characterful sound, really, but at the time I needed polyphony since I become bored of my NL 2x and therefore the Ambika looked like the perfect one to replace it.

I found a stellar builder, Raph, from Michigan Synth Works...at my request he built me the most beautiful Ambika ever, doing every thing I asked for, a polar one, with white metal case, recessed aluminum sides, whit/blue leds, white display, white knobs and buttons...a real beauty of a synth

When finally got it in my studio I found it VERY boring sounding, with none of the Shruthi character...and though I already knowed it´s not a polyphonic Shruthi I expected to find a more interesting result...I finally sold it after some months of trying to like with it...never happened
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am
one of the reasons Buchla synths were originally appealing precisely because they were cheaper than moog, and you could probably trade drugs for them.

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:15 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:58 am
daphnid wrote:
Nothing I regret selling more and now they're double the price I sold mine for. Got caught up in the hype for the Analog boxes :doh:

If I had to pick OT or Machinedrum though I'd probably pick OT. By the end of my time with it I was using the UW machines on the MD about 80%of the time and sample management sucked. There's still nothing quite like it though, such a unique and inspired instrument lurking underneath that drum machine interface and marketing.

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:21 pm

borututu f. wrote:
Technics WSA1R: mystical physical modelling synth from the 90s, must yield sounds never heard before by mankind. I bought one for way too much money from a strange old guy who loved it for realistic accordion sounds. Turned out to be a rompler and the physical modelling aspect was kinda neglible. I made a cool demo though.
I've always wondered about this thing. Had eBay alerts set up for years and nothing, and then I eventually got over my high-end 90s rompler fascination after a few years of wasting weekends making fairly useless generative space drones on my K2000R.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:14 pm

daphnid wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:15 pm
Nothing I regret selling more and now they're double the price I sold mine for. Got caught up in the hype for the Analog boxes :doh:

If I had to pick OT or Machinedrum though I'd probably pick OT. By the end of my time with it I was using the UW machines on the MD about 80%of the time and sample management sucked. There's still nothing quite like it though, such a unique and inspired instrument lurking underneath that drum machine interface and marketing.
I prefer the sample management on the MW over the AR. I’ve never owner an OT, but its tough to beat the 12-bit sample playback of the MD.
TOO FAR GONE

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:47 pm

daphnid wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:58 am
daphnid wrote:

Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:14 pm
daphnid wrote:

I prefer the sample management on the MW over the AR. I’ve never owner an OT, but its tough to beat the 12-bit sample playback of the MD.

for a sampling drum machine only I´d choose the Digitakt any day
the sound is better than any other sample-based elektron machine...not dark as in the Rytm, not "far" as in the OT, and more versatile than in the MDUW
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am
one of the reasons Buchla synths were originally appealing precisely because they were cheaper than moog, and you could probably trade drugs for them.

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:56 pm

Bought an MPC 2000, let’s see how this goes...
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:23 pm

anselmi wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:47 pm
the sound is better than any other sample-based elektron machine...not dark as in the Rytm, not "far" as in the OT, and more versatile than in the MDUW
Lack of individual analog outputs doesn’t cut it for me, especially in a drum machine.
TOO FAR GONE

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:35 pm

anselmi wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:47 pm

The Rytm is definitely dark and murky. It works for me for the most part, I love how old PCM toms sounds through it and you can get some really great sound when you learn to tweak the global distortion and compressor just right. I always run the OT through a Sherman Restyler or Erica Acidbox to liven up the sound as it's the most flat and lifeless sounding sampler I own. These things were bought mainly for use as live tools but they're always doing something in the studio, they're just so flexible. And the OT is such an absurdly creative tool that I can deal with it's dull sound.

Digitakt is great tho! Excellent drum sampler, I thought about getting one before I got the Rytm, but I wanted the pads for performance, muting, and scene modes which really open it up as a live instrument, esp in a dark club. Unfortunately they are unusable for tapping in beats lol.

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:34 pm

EMS Synthi. Uninteresting, uninspiring, felt like a homemade kit that was going to fall apart under even gentle use, sounded about as good as a monotron or volca. For the life of me I will never underhand the hype and the status and can only conclude that it’s the rest of mass psychosis.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:25 am

3hands wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:56 pm
Bought an MPC 2000, let’s see how this goes...
i sold it as soon as i got to the "structure a song part"...also not doing the scsi expansion or USB input they probably now have for it - was a bit of a slog grabbing floppies.

i really dug the timing, and the immediacy though.

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:31 am

Bath House wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:34 pm
EMS Synthi. Uninteresting, uninspiring, felt like a homemade kit that was going to fall apart under even gentle use, sounded about as good as a monotron or volca. For the life of me I will never underhand the hype and the status and can only conclude that it’s the rest of mass psychosis.
Just wow... :eek: My experience with a VCS3 could not have been more different. Are you sure it wasn't actually broken?

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:39 am

Lots of people get gear based on hearsay ie what they read in forums, then they find out soon enough most gear demand work, some real dedication to learn to operate, and with no disrespect intended, something that's unfortunately not available for sale: talent/creativity/experience.

slutty-setups674.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:26 am

Graham Hinton wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:36 pm
Voltcontrol wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:56 am
Have you experienced finally getting your hands on a piece of gear you'd been lusting after- or were inspired by for ages and being deeply disappointed by what you found yourself with?
I think that the EMS Synthi 100 is the ultimate disappointment. In 1976 I got a job in a studio that had just bought one for £35,000 (which was several houses then, a whole street in some parts of the country) and it was the dullest sounding and by far the worst synthesizer I have ever come across. They also had the £15,000 Computer Synthi that couldn't even boot. It still makes me weep to think of what a good EM studio I could have put together for that money then.
So true.

What a waste of electronic component parts the Synthi 100 is (on a par with an ARP 2500 in terms of bulk vs. flexibility). Had a go at the one at Osnabrück University (which is rumoured to be a Synthi 200... whatever that means), and I had a go at Stockhausen's old one… meh! Give me two VCS-3 with some outboard devices and a KS, and I'd be perfectly happy.

Not that the Synthi 100 had ever been a hero of mine before I touched it. Playing the Synthi 100 was a bit like meeting Klaus Schulze or Jean Michel Jarre in person.

Stephen

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:53 am

+1 for the octatrack, it took way too long for me to figure out that i dont like it.

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:43 am

We should move forward, as much as I love 303, sh-101, 808 and 909 I would take a DFAM, Mother-32, 0-Coast or any Elektron machine over any of those anyday.

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:54 pm

oscilloscope wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:39 am
Lots of people get gear based on hearsay ie what they read in forums, then they find out soon enough most gear demand work, some real dedication to learn to operate, and with no disrespect intended, something that's unfortunately not available for sale: talent/creativity/experience.
+1K! More for the part I bolded, as the latter three manifest or derive from the bolded work.

slutty-setups674.jpg

So true! If this isn't already in the synthmemes thread, it should be!

KSS
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by KSS » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:59 pm

doombient.music wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:26 am
What a waste of electronic component parts the Synthi 100 is (on a par with an ARP 2500 in terms of bulk vs. flexibility).
I can agree about the Synthi100 but the part I underlined? No way. The absolutely massive flexibility of a 2500 more than makes up for its bulk.

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:02 pm

KSS wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:59 pm
doombient.music wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:26 am
What a waste of electronic component parts the Synthi 100 is (on a par with an ARP 2500 in terms of bulk vs. flexibility).
I can agree about the Synthi100 but the part I underlined? No way. The absolutely massive flexibility of a 2500 more than makes up for its bulk.
In terms of sound I tend to agree with you but the silly routing system… almost as intimidating as the Synthi 100's giant patchbays.

But that's only me, of course.

Stephen

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:44 pm

The only thing i've ever found underwhelming on first acquaintance is modular synthesizers.

And also tinder dates who don't look anything like their photo.
Last edited by francoprussian on Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Gear”