Vermona DRM-1 MKIII in the year 2020

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Vermona DRM-1 MKIII in the year 2020

Post by orangehexagon » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:51 pm

I just started gassing over the DRM1. I already have an Elektron Analog Rytm, but I sometimes struggle with how "boxy" everything sounds and often have a hard time getting my mixes where I like them. I feel like the Rytm requires a lot of finesse to get it to breath and punch and that takes me out of the zone of making music.

So my question is: What are your thoughts on the DRM1 MKIII in the year of 2020?

Talk me into it or out of it

oldgearguy
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Vermona DRM-1 MKIII in the year 2020

Post by oldgearguy » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:43 pm

I had once for a while and the pairing of the DRM and a Polyend Seq made for very fast and easy drum programming.

However, the DRM trigger inputs are not velocity/ level sensitive (on/off only), the MIDI side only responds to note number and velocity. You get the variation/ modulation via the params for each sound.

When it came time to downsize, replacing the pair with my existing sampler and existing hw sequencer (QY700) was more than sufficient and I don't miss either unit.

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:49 pm

Don't know why Vermona doesn't release DRM MKII as individual eurorack modules with CV controls...would buy kick, clap and HH in a minute!

I had MKIII but it was just too big for my room, no CV etc.
Last edited by Jaypee on Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:23 am

Okay so I bought the DRM1 and I am in love with it. I'm sick of menus that take me out of the moment. OH! and how glorious does the snare sound. I'm using a beatstep pro to trigger it via midi with the velocity option and boy is it fun!

Feinstrom
Common Wiggler

Post by Feinstrom » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:17 am

Well, that was quick!
Looking at our posts, you asked for our thoughts yesterday evening at nearly 9pm, and not even eleven hours later on Sunday morning you have already bought one and fallen in love with it! Probably different time zone, unless you broke into a music shop...
Have fun with it! Good choice!

Funny however, the snare has always been my least favourite instrument - I strongly prefer the ADX-1 snare.

Cheers,
Bert

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Haha, I bought it second-hand from someone local who posted it online. While following social distancing and hygiene of-course. I honestly wish I had bought a DRM1 a decade ago. I've never been so quick to feel inspired by a drum machine before. I've grown to appreciate machines that don't do ‘everything but the kitchen sink’. In all seriousness I feel like the more a machine tries to do, the more cumbersome it is to make music with. I love Elektron and don't forsee myself parting with the Digitone, but I realize I need more 'straightforward' boxes like the DRM1 and the 0coast.

The Drum 1 and Drum 2 channels on the DRM1 are absolutely a joy... very flexible without being too limitless as to deter from making music and getting too lost.

@Feinstrom -- I'll be looking into the ADX-1 now. Thanks for the recommendation!

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:26 pm

Sweet! A DRM-1 thread! Loved this drum synth too :)

I’m going to leave this here, as this important feature is buried a little deeper in the manual ... which nobody reads because the DRM-1 is so easy to use :hihi:
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:41 pm

That's a great trick with the stereo cable! I wish more gear had that.

On the talk me into/out-of matter.... Well, it certainly is big. I'd consider it except it's gigantic. Fine if you have the space, but a serious matter of real estate reassignment if not. For something reasonably similar but far smaller, how about the new Division Department 01/IV

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:42 pm

Damn, that’s a really cool feature. Thanks for sharing

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:16 am

I'm since years on the edge of buying me one. I saw an MKII lately auctioned but it was only around 15% less of the MKIII retail price. I guess soundwise they should be the same.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

ionraygun
Learning to Wiggle

Post by ionraygun » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:45 am

I have an old Touched By Sound DRM1. It has a great character that seems kinda melancholic and vintage while not sounding quite like anything else. Don't do much MIDI sequencing at the moment so haven't used mine in a while, but will always keep it around.

plantman
1-Post Wiggler

Post by plantman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:37 am

Has anyone seen any trigger upgrade kits available? got a mk3 off ebay a while ago with midi only, i had originally won one with trigger inputs, but the seller canceled my order without explanation! and eventually sent a refund. Looking for a budget upgrade!!!

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jaypee » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:26 pm

flx wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:26 pm

I’m going to leave this here, as this important feature is buried a little deeper in the manual ... which nobody reads because the DRM-1 is so easy to use :hihi:
Wow! made my day!
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

kwaidan
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kwaidan » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:58 pm

You used to be able to buy a trigger input board separately, and install it yourself, but I don’t think it’s still offered. I seem to remember another thread on this site where someone made there own trigger input and successively mounted it. The procedure didn’t look difficult.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:00 pm

Can do that fx insert trick on the Perfourmer too. So cool!

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:27 pm

the deluxe version is purty
kind of wishing i snagged it when it was up on perfectcircuit a few weeks ago but i was fending off the GAS

nodog
Common Wiggler

Post by nodog » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:49 pm

Last year you could still get the trigger input board from Vermona for 100E, I guess you still can.

Feinstrom
Common Wiggler

Post by Feinstrom » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:47 am

The MkIII version had changes in the kick channel, maybe others too. If you want THAT kick, you'll have to prowl for this version.

The "luxury version" looks even more classy in black...

Oh, and the DRM's trigger inputs are not velocity-sensitive, which would be so easy to include (OT: all the pad inputs on older drum modules have velocity - why is this such a completely forgotten feature nowadays :mad: ?)...

Cheers,
Bert
DSCF3631.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Halfgeleider
Common Wiggler

Post by Halfgeleider » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:55 am

First thing i did when i bought a DRM and a perfourmer was buying a dozen insert cables to apply effects on the sounds.

mg05
Common Wiggler

Post by mg05 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:42 pm

I like the DRM-1 MKII a lot.
But I'm still trying to find the 'perfect' the sequencer for me&DRM1.
I tried some. Most fun almost like playing drums were two EHX Clockworks triggering the EHX.
Right now I'm thinking to try it with a drumbrute or Model:Cycles.
Next after I'll a drum pad (via MIDI).

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:27 pm

I liked the MPC 500 and 1000 as a sequencer. Very powerful and you get proper sensitive pads :)
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
Instagram
nightmachines.tv

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:59 pm

I'm using my guitar stand for the DRM1 to improve ergonomics. I'm in love with this machine. Anyone that doesn't like some of the sounds out of the box might not have taken the time to get a good grasp on how to coax the most out of this box. The lack of "presets" might be a cause of that. So much of this is the interdependence of parameters and gain staging. I'm loving not having menus and not having presets.
IMG_3610.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Therockfrog
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Therockfrog » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:44 am

I just received a DRM mk3 with built in triggers. I won’t use the triggers but it’s nice to have. Bought it from an English shop for $200 less than Perfect Circuit are selling them for....great deal.

Have a Beatstep Pro coming but I also have a Rytm mk2 coming. Will be using them both as much as possible....love drum machines.

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:39 am

The DRM1 is a really nice machine, but imo the sweet spot on it is quite narrow, meaning that the vast majority of the sounds available are just too "specialty" to fit in the mix of typical music tracks. Another issue is the rabbit-hole temptation of tweaking knobs ad eternam.

However imo it would be fine for experimental, industrial, etc. music.

paranoidmoonduck
Common Wiggler

Post by paranoidmoonduck » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:50 am

flx wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:26 pm

I had no idea this existed. I now realize that the Perfourmer has the same capability, which is super cool.

Return to “General Gear”