Looking for a sampler

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Looking for a sampler

Post by slumberjack » Tue May 05, 2020 11:48 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:36 pm
No question. The EPS classic is criminally underrated. I’ved owned a mirage, EPS, and EPS 16+, but the EPS is easily my favorite. I do have to correct you on one thing though, it’s not 12 bit, it’s 13!
I love the EPS too and since I carefully prepare my samples I usually don't have to edit them on the machine. Once it turned a pretty simple synth patch into an organ like tone :eek: the kick drum I sampled is the best one I ever crafted. I may track down one of these output modules one day.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

CRMVMT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CRMVMT » Wed May 06, 2020 1:45 am

Korg Microsampler hasn’t been mentioned? Actually really good if no complex sequencing is needed. Good effects, super easy sampling procedure.

Yellow
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Yellow » Wed May 06, 2020 2:09 pm

Bastl Instruments MicroGranny

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu May 07, 2020 4:06 am

CRMVMT wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:45 am
Korg Microsampler hasn’t been mentioned? Actually really good if no complex sequencing is needed. Good effects, super easy sampling procedure.
yes, I did it in the first page together with the 1010 black box

I agree, it´s a very capable, cheap sampler with lot of usable tricks and very straightforward user interface

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Fri May 08, 2020 9:46 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:36 pm
No question. The EPS classic is criminally underrated. I’ved owned a mirage, EPS, and EPS 16+, but the EPS is easily my favorite. I do have to correct you on one thing though, it’s not 12 bit, it’s 13!
Ha, yeah, the world's only 13 bit sampler.

Also gotta +1 the Korg micro, it was my first sampler, and so, so fun. Its transpose definitely has more character than current stuff. The way a sampler transposes is almost the equivalent to filter character on an analog synth.

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Fri May 08, 2020 9:55 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:48 pm
I love the EPS too and since I carefully prepare my samples I usually don't have to edit them on the machine. Once it turned a pretty simple synth patch into an organ like tone :eek: the kick drum I sampled is the best one I ever crafted. I may track down one of these output modules one day.
Resampling kicks on the EPS is one of my most overused tricks, you can get those crushed, trashy Gescom style kicks. So dope. I've been hearing that sound a lot in like Bunker NYC/No Way Back type idm-techno mixes a lot the past year or so. Makes me happy.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat May 09, 2020 1:38 am

daphnid wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:55 pm
slumberjack wrote:
Resampling kicks on the EPS is one of my most overused tricks, you can get those crushed, trashy Gescom style kicks. So dope. I've been hearing that sound a lot in like Bunker NYC/No Way Back type idm-techno mixes a lot the past year or so. Makes me happy.
I'd say the Hammond factory sample is the what Jaydee used on Plastic Dreams for the jazzy hook.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Sat May 09, 2020 1:57 am

slumberjack wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:38 am
daphnid wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:55 pm
slumberjack wrote:
I'd say the Hammond factory sample is the what Jaydee used on Plastic Dreams for the jazzy hook.
Oh yeah! the old factory libraries are in so much old house. And even old warp records stuff. I need to get my hands on more of those disks. I remember the first time I popped one in and was like, 'so this is where all those sounds came from.'

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat May 09, 2020 2:08 am

daphnid wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:57 am
'so this is where all those sounds came from.'
always bliss. I cant wait for the MPC One to arrive btw. It should be here on monday. I will still keep the SU700 I did mention above because it's such a great sampler (and also does wonderful things to your samples like the EPS) but to much of a pita for my need to play a live show.
Last edited by slumberjack on Sat May 09, 2020 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

daphnid
Common Wiggler

Post by daphnid » Sat May 09, 2020 2:28 am

slumberjack wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:08 am
daphnid wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:57 am
'so this is where all those sounds came from.'
always bliss. I cant wait for the MPC One to arrive btw. It should be on monday. I will still keep the SU700 I did mention above because it's such a great sampler (and also does wonderfull things to you samples like the EPS) but to much of a pita for my need to play a live show.
Hell yea man, love those old Yamahas too, the racks are cool sounding but the grooveboxes are special! A homie had one of those 700s but the encoders kept dying so he got RS7000 which also had vibe. Even my lil SU10 sounds great. Hope the MPC treats u well, my Octatrack sounds like shit but I couldn't live without it, esp live. The new shit has all the mod cons but u really gotta work for the dynamics and character, which is sometimes more a pain in the ass than dealing with old storage and reliability tbh. Sometimes ya just gotta suffer for vibe.

BugBrand
Knowledge of Bugs

Post by BugBrand » Sat May 09, 2020 2:38 am

Yeah to SU700s - had one for years, so damn good!
Tried to get back into them a few years back but got one with dodgy encoders - changed them but still had some gremlins and that killed the buzz enough that I never got the momentum back..

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat May 09, 2020 2:43 am

Regarding the EPS: I don't know much about keyboards but compared with the P8 and DX11 I have around I always choose to play the EPS.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Tue May 12, 2020 10:26 am

After much thought, I'm concluding that, in my world, multiple outs is a very important feature.

I still want minimal hassle sampling (to which I should add: easy native detailed sample trimming), and I want to be able to reverse, and repitch samples, and I want to be able to drive sample playback through MIDI, but because I use external effects a lot, multiple outs becomes important.

This cuts out the electribe, the SP404 family, and to a great extent the MPC ONE. It also implies that I'm going up the price level.

The Blackbox is still in it, and now becomes a cheaper option compared to most other ones that I've found. The MC707 is also an option (though for substantially more than the blackbox) if I want more hardware controls (which I usually do).

Any further thoughts? Half of me wants to rob a bank and buy an MPC X, but I doubt they'd let me keep it, and it's tough to build a career in prison.

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Tue May 12, 2020 3:09 pm

I’m following along because I’m in a similar boat.

If you like MPC X, what is it about the Live you don’t like? Not enough outs?

Looks like MC-707 doesn’t do long samples. Not sure though, and maybe not important to you.
Mabel encounters a peahen.

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Tue May 12, 2020 6:37 pm

The Live has:

* an internal battery, which is planned obsolescence for which you pay extra
* costs double the blackbox, more than the MC707
* not many outs for the money
* no eurorack integration, unlike the X, ONE, or blackbox (sad because I have some semimodular that would be good to automate from it while sampling)

Basically, it has lots of things that do little for me, and doesn't have much of what I greatly value, compared to its little brother the ONE. In my scenario, I don't see the value for money.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue May 12, 2020 11:26 pm

What about a sampler in euro? My ONE is here and I really like it.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Tue May 12, 2020 11:59 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:26 pm
In principle, not a bad idea. In practice, I don't have a eurorack case. I just have a bunch of semimodulars, so there's no particular benefit to getting a euro solution. Euro-standard, sure. Eurorack modules? Don't really help me.

Do you have a favourite way of dealing with the ONE's limited outputs? Is there a USB-based workaround, for example?

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Wed May 13, 2020 4:02 am

Koekepan wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:59 pm
slumberjack wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:26 pm
In principle, not a bad idea. In practice, I don't have a eurorack case. I just have a bunch of semimodulars, so there's no particular benefit to getting a euro solution. Euro-standard, sure. Eurorack modules? Don't really help me.

Do you have a favourite way of dealing with the ONE's limited outputs? Is there a USB-based workaround, for example?
I will use the MPC mostly for live shows therefore are multiple outs not that important. But maybe still something like L/R and alternate headphone output might be possible (with the Model:Samples this is possible - then you have 4 mono outs). If you work with the computer the MPC does export each track for you.

A Euro solution came to my mind because of the outputs. ER-301 has 4, the Rossum one has 8, ALM Squid has 6 I guess...
> WTB ADDAC502 <

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Wed May 13, 2020 8:14 am

Makes sense about the Live. Thanks.
— fwiw, new model seems to have cv outs.

kinkujin
Common Wiggler

Post by kinkujin » Wed May 13, 2020 9:20 am

The hardest factor to know when you're shopping without experience is how straight forward / user friendly the operating system is.

As bluegreengourd says, this is so true. Workflow is very hard to audition. Features are great but if it doesn't agree with you, well then, I guess that's why we have BST on this forum.

I have a Mirage (had it fixed and it died again), a Boss SP505 (too new to me to ascertain) and an ipad loaded with apps. Hopefully out of those I'll get something that agrees with me. I have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach though that it'll be the iPad apps which were many dollars cheaper than the hardware. But when that Mirage was working ...? Just glorious.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Wed May 13, 2020 9:36 am

The BlackBox seems to keep on making improvements to their firmware, perhaps even some internal modulation will be implemented in the near future...
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Wed May 13, 2020 11:39 am

The front runners in my mind as I type this are, in approximate order:

1) Blackbox. Pros: well-supported. Inexpensive (relatively). Eight eurorack-compatible outputs (loopop on youtube shows how it works). USB host. Good sample trimming/tweaking capabilities. Streaming from storage. Pitch shifting. Time stretching. Cons: Mostly touchscreen action (I have fat fingers). No autosampling/velocity layering that I could find out about? (I hope I'm wrong about this last.)

2) MPC ONE. Pros: well-supported. Inexpensive (relatively). USB host. Good sample trimming/tweaking capabilities. Pitch shifting. Time stretching. Lots of internal effects. Lots of polyphony. Strong MIDI master capability. Autosampling, velocity layering, 8 eurorack-compatible outputs, everything up to final mastering is pretty much possible in the box. Cons: Heavy on the touchscreen. So few outputs, meaning that everything either has to be done by layering multiple takes, or using the ONE as the sample effecting and mixing tool, then delivering all sample-based elements as a batch. This is a workflow problem.

3) Electribe sampler. Pros: decent support (been a while since the last real update). Inexpensive. Pitch shifting. Portable, takes batteries. Friendly workflow. No touchscreen. Cons: So few outputs, and limited internal power means you're pretty much backed into layering for detailed work. Paraphonic treatment of sound (i.e. shared envelopes). No autosampling, keygroups, layers that I could find. Buying two to create a more competent setup pushes it to around the price of an MC707. Limited polyphony.

4) MC707. Pros: Good support. No touchscreen. Strong on synthesis. Decent sample capability. Cons: Most expensive one so far. Few outputs. Will do resampling, but doesn't seem to do any of the fancier autosampling or other things with samples? Am I missing something?

5) MPC X. Pros: Good support. Touchscreen is large enough to be OK for large fingers, but also lots of hardware control. CV/gate aplenty, will do everything on samples that the ONE will plus much more storage (including the internal bay for expansion). USB master. Lots of MIDI in and out. Lots of power. Plenty of outputs. Cons: Kind of big (but not extravagantly so). F$cking expen$ive.

If money were no object, I'd get the MPC X and move on with life. But it is. It always is.

ahmo
Common Wiggler

Post by ahmo » Wed May 13, 2020 12:21 pm

Mpc500 was my first thought, any MPC really. I ise the 1000 with JJ OS. The sequencer is amazing, so even if you don’t think you’ll use it, if you ever do it will be great, even just for CCs for the effects boxes, 64 tracks of them so you can switch CC sequences, feed in other midi sequencers to control the fx and record the midi passes onto separate tracks, etc.

Individual outs are something I would want at least some if I was to process things through FX like you say.

wigwig
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wigwig » Wed May 13, 2020 1:41 pm

Current BBox beta firmware includes autosampling.
https://forum.1010music.com/forum/table ... #post13878
Koekepan wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:39 am
1) Blackbox. Pros: well-supported. Inexpensive (relatively). Eight eurorack-compatible outputs (loopop on youtube shows how it works). USB host. Good sample trimming/tweaking capabilities. Streaming from storage. Pitch shifting. Time stretching. Cons: Mostly touchscreen action (I have fat fingers). No autosampling/velocity layering that I could find out about? (I hope I'm wrong about this last.)

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Wed May 13, 2020 2:20 pm

wigwig wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:41 pm
Current BBox beta firmware includes autosampling.
https://forum.1010music.com/forum/table ... #post13878
Hm. Keygroups. Autosampling (in beta). The blackbox case is definitely strengthening. If this includes layers, the argument in favour of the ONE in my usecase starts to look really weak. Not entirely dead, but weak.

Return to “General Gear”