Looking for a sampler

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ahmo
Common Wiggler

Re: Looking for a sampler

Post by ahmo » Wed May 13, 2020 5:58 pm

Check out the MPC-1000 with JJ OS, the pad upgrade standard on later models. Amazing machine I use it for sequencing and sampling since about 2005, cheap enough used and spare parts are available. 2500 if you want bigger and more outs. Has a lot you won’t use, but the stuff you don’t use doesnt get in the way. OS workflow is amazing.

magnetize
Common Wiggler

Post by magnetize » Fri May 22, 2020 10:47 am

not to derail the thread (i can start a separate one if its a hassle) but besides the octatrack what samplers are there that do direct disk streaming , looping and can either hold >100 samples or load samples without glitching/stopping. the blackbox was so nearly there but only holds 16 samples at a time and doesnt support uninterrupted loading afaik.

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Thu May 28, 2020 2:10 pm

At this stage, while it lacks the convenience of audio in, I may just wait for my synesthesia pipes to be delivered.

I'm a backer, and requested the 128GB storage bump in mine, so it will be great once it gets here.

So the secondary question might then just be: is there something that's really great for audio capture, for later transformation into feeding a device such as the Pipes?

magnetize
Common Wiggler

Post by magnetize » Thu May 28, 2020 2:32 pm

any date on pipes delivery?

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Thu May 28, 2020 4:27 pm

slumberjack wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:43 am
Regarding the EPS: I don't know much about keyboards but compared with the P8 and DX11 I have around I always choose to play the EPS.
Some have clacky keys, mine does not. I really like the sequencer for use as a scratchpad. Only thing I wish it didn't do is send out program changes be default a at the start of a sequence. Best bargain poly AT board out there.

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Thu May 28, 2020 10:31 pm

magnetize wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:32 pm
any date on pipes delivery?
It's been a bit extended owing to the implications of COVID-19, but they're still sending out regular updates. Apparently they're in the parts sourcing and testing stage, and they're looking at getting that sorted out over the next month, so I'm still generally hopeful that I'll have it by the end of the year.

lionel
Common Wiggler

Post by lionel » Sat May 30, 2020 6:23 am

I have a Gotharman LD2 and I’m very happy with it !

AnaX for eurorack / Very long samples / time stretching / granular Effects / CV / triggers / pitchshifter / séquencer / etc...

That’ s an amazing sampler, and now you Can buy a used LD2 ;)
Last edited by lionel on Sat May 30, 2020 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

magnetize
Common Wiggler

Post by magnetize » Sat May 30, 2020 6:30 am

i looked at the gothermans. great features but the interface doesnt look like it would suit my flow - very squinty menu heavy looking to me + pricey.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sat May 30, 2020 6:50 am

slumberjack wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:02 am
Koekepan wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:59 pm
slumberjack wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:26 pm
What about a sampler in euro? My ONE is here and I really like it.
In principle, not a bad idea. In practice, I don't have a eurorack case. I just have a bunch of semimodulars, so there's no particular benefit to getting a euro solution. Euro-standard, sure. Eurorack modules? Don't really help me.

Do you have a favourite way of dealing with the ONE's limited outputs? Is there a USB-based workaround, for example?
I will use the MPC mostly for live shows therefore are multiple outs not that important. But maybe still something like L/R and alternate headphone output might be possible (with the Model:Samples this is possible - then you have 4 mono outs). If you work with the computer the MPC does export each track for you.

A Euro solution came to my mind because of the outputs. ER-301 has 4, the Rossum one has 8, ALM Squid has 6 I guess...
Since you were looking at the Black Box, the Bitbox in euro is a great choice 4 outs, 16 channels of sampling, really straightforward and easy to use. It doesn't have the massive internal processing of the late 90s samplers, but it's really easy to add processing in your system, obviously. I wish it had more outs but it would dramatically add the cost. If you don't like it as a sampler, you get another shot at the module with the Effects Box or the Synth box, both of which are great on their own.

I haven't used the others you mentioned, but the Rossum one is super powerful, from what I've read, lots of processing capabilities. If I had a lot of money I'd probably build a little Emulator 4 in euro with the Rossum stuff, and through in some analog filters for the hell of it.

Also Dave Rossum's joining the eurorack world makes me think: How can we track down the Ensoniq folks and get them to start making euro?! I wouldn't be surprised if many of the engineers at the that company didn't realize how important their old designs have become, or the way their sound contributed to so many genre's of music. Can you imagine an EPS classic in euro?!
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Return to “General Gear”