Audiothingies Doctor A vs OTO BAM/BIM

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

chrisryan15
Common Wiggler

Audiothingies Doctor A vs OTO BAM/BIM

Post by chrisryan15 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:23 pm

I've been looking around at different reverb/delay units and both the Doctor A by Audiothingies and the OTO BAM/BIM have caught my eye.

The Doctor A is both a reverb and 12-bit delay, while the BAM/BIM by OTO are dedicated units for either effect.

Has anyone had any experience with both?

I have an OTO BOUM and I love it, the build quality, the sound... its all great! Makes me want to go for the BAM really. But considering the price of just the BAM would be more than the Doctor A, and the Doctor A has delay+reverb.

Hoping anyone has some feedback regarding any of the units to help me make a decision!

Thanks!

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Audiothingies Doctor A vs OTO BAM/BIM

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:51 pm

I haven’t messed with the doctor A, but have BIM and BAM and they are my favorite effects hands down. I also have a Lexicon PCM80, Yamaha SPX 90, MIDIVERB II, Erbe Verb, etc. It sort of depends how much you want something with a lot of character from analog filters, inout drive, conpanders, etc. Anyway, OTO boxes are expensive, but when you get them, they really do satisfy your needs if you are looking for “vintage” reverb/delay.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

chrisryan15
Common Wiggler

Post by chrisryan15 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:37 pm

Thats helpful! I was also looking at pcm70's or 80's, so that says a lot that you like the bam and bim more than the lexicon. Definitely agree with you about the satisfaction with the OTO boxes. It hurt a little bit when i paid for my BOUM, but felt it was 100% worth it when i received it in the mail and started using it.

BogartDestructo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BogartDestructo » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:06 pm

I cannot emphasise just how wonderful I think BAM is. I’ve got an unhealthy collection of effects but nothing has ever got to me like BAM. It’s hard to describe but I want to put my life through that box. BIM is also just wonderful, and if you’ve already got BOUM then just complete the trifecta and be done with it. Future you will be a much, much happier person.

chrisryan15
Common Wiggler

Post by chrisryan15 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:25 pm

BogartDestructo wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:06 pm
I cannot emphasise just how wonderful I think BAM is. I’ve got an unhealthy collection of effects but nothing has ever got to me like BAM. It’s hard to describe but I want to put my life through that box. BIM is also just wonderful, and if you’ve already got BOUM then just complete the trifecta and be done with it. Future you will be a much, much happier person.
AHH you aren't making it easy! :goo:

I feel like at this point it is sort of inevitable that I will get these eventually. I think I'll probably go for the BAM first, and we'll have to see how long it will be before I get the BIM. Just gotta wait for a decent price on one!

Do you use the BAM in stereo in/out, or just mono in stereo out?

BogartDestructo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BogartDestructo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:07 pm

chrisryan15 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:25 pm
Do you use the BAM in stereo in/out, or just mono in stereo out?
A bit of both, depending on what I’m going for and what I’m using it with (Eurorack/Octatrack/A4/Prophet 6/Lyra 8)...mono or stereo it’s an absolute beauty!

tdel
Common Wiggler

Post by tdel » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Another endorsement for BIM + BAM here. Not only do they sound amazing, their interfaces are great as well. The little 2-dot LED strip has a very minor learning curve to build the mental recall for which algos are which -- but it's really not a big deal. What's great is they double as input meters when you're not in a sub menu. Also, preset storage/recall on these units is a breeze.

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:07 pm

I thought the BIM/BAM interfaces were shit and the sound underwhelming. Just to give another perspective.

JES
Veteran Wiggler

Post by JES » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:01 pm

Another good flavour of reverb is Eventide. The H9 or Space can be had quite reasonably used. That said if money wasn’t an issue, I’d get the Oto between those two.
"Now, I'm off to hook my cat's litterbox up to an envelope follower." --Aragorn23

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Fri May 01, 2020 7:48 am

I went with the Dr A due to:
Live wiggle-ability
Ease of interface (I hardware jam with others who share gear in session and need to understand interfaces quickly during improv)
CV assignable control (biggest factor for me)
Character (it can get weird)
Routing flexibility
Price and availability

(Not saying it's better than the Oto gear on these points other than price, just that they were important in my purchase decision)

I'm very happy with it.

But a trifecta of Oto would look great, and you already know that you like their style of gear.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Fri May 01, 2020 10:24 am

donato wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:07 pm
I thought the BIM/BAM interfaces were shit
Yep. Sold my BAM and BIM for that reason. Liked the sound but didn't like the box and had no interest in learning morsecode.

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:37 am

Is the BAM still in production? Last time I checked, all sources had dried up except the crazy japanese ebay sellers.

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Fri May 01, 2020 10:46 am

Still in production. Next batch is due at the end of May according to Signal Sounds. However, the Doctor A is impossible to get right now.

chrisryan15
Common Wiggler

Post by chrisryan15 » Fri May 01, 2020 10:59 am

I've definitely wondered about the interface ease of use. Ive read that the BOUM (which I already have) has an easier/simpler interface to deal with, and I haven't had much of an issue with it. I don't mind taking some time to figuring out weird control schemes, as i do love programming on my DX5 and octatrack. I wish there were more resources on both the BAM and Doctor A out there.

I guess I'll have to wait either way because they are a bit impossible to get at the moment! Hah not such a bad thing tho, gives me some more time to think.

chrisryan15
Common Wiggler

Post by chrisryan15 » Mon May 11, 2020 12:05 pm

Just ordered a used BAM! Im excited to put it thru some testing!

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Mon May 11, 2020 12:27 pm

I recently got a Bam - the previous owner had put a little sticker on the from with the algorithm numbers. Very useful

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Tue May 12, 2020 7:23 am

I researched stereo delay+reverb combined pedals and I found following quite interesting:

Source Audio Collider

Earthquaker Devices Avalanche V2

Hologram Electronics Microcosm > ordered

Walrus Audio MAKO D1 (well it's a delay only)
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue May 12, 2020 7:31 am

lud wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:27 pm
I recently got a Bam - the previous owner had put a little sticker on the from with the algorithm numbers. Very useful
This is the only thing I have trouble with, it's not bad to just use my ears, but for some reason I have trouble remember the algorithms. Everything else is fairly intuitive to me since it's usually a linear progression.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Tue May 12, 2020 7:38 am

Very French and quirky but not at all charming. Reminds me of when Citroen refused to adopt self-cancelling indicators.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Tue May 12, 2020 8:16 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:31 am
lud wrote:
This is the only thing I have trouble with, it's not bad to just use my ears, but for some reason I have trouble remember the algorithms. Everything else is fairly intuitive to me since it's usually a linear progression.
It's a fantastic unit - remembering the algorithms is the only difficulty I have. That little sticker is invaluable, you should make one

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue May 12, 2020 10:54 am

lud wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:16 am
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
lud wrote:
It's a fantastic unit - remembering the algorithms is the only difficulty I have. That little sticker is invaluable, you should make one
It's not a bad idea. I'm probably going to figure out a mnemonic and see if that works first.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

stikygum
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by stikygum » Tue May 12, 2020 4:23 pm

lud wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
lud wrote:
I'm curious what your sticker looks like, fitting all that text on there. I might have to get a sticker maker. I'm a visual person and prefer to have interfaces that give me clear visual feedback.
WTB: EML 101

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 am

slumberjack wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:23 am
I researched stereo delay+reverb combined pedals and I found following quite interesting:

How do you like it? The demo looks really cool.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun May 17, 2020 11:15 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 11:08 am
slumberjack wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:23 am

How do you like it? The demo looks really cool.

It's not here yet but we have a dedicated thread to it, you may want to log in over there. It may take until end of the month but they said last week they are now starting to prepare for shipping.
At least the Microcosm will arrive before the Space Case... :lol:
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Sun May 17, 2020 11:15 am

stikygum wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:23 pm
lud wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
lud wrote:
I'm curious what your sticker looks like, fitting all that text on there. I might have to get a sticker maker. I'm a visual person and prefer to have interfaces that give me clear visual feedback.
IMG_20200517_171335.jpg
Here's a snap of said sticker - nothing flashy but useful
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Gear”