Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Late Air
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by Late Air » Sun May 17, 2020 7:57 pm

here's a patch I've been listening to for like an hour

øcontrol doing a standard feeding of pitch and strength to the contour but also the slope circuit is controlling the time.

pressure is also doing some pitch and fm mod

https://soundcloud.com/lateair/ocontrol ... bdtm1o0XXy

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sun May 17, 2020 8:23 pm

Nice patch! I like using the 0-Coast with an SQ1 or Rene etc, but a 3 channel analog sequencer can be so much more immediate for some styles of patching. Especially including its own clock and having smart modulation for that on one of the rows is interesting to me.

Late Air
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Late Air » Sun May 17, 2020 8:27 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:23 pm
Nice patch! I like using the 0-Coast with an SQ1 or Rene etc, but a 3 channel analog sequencer can be so much more immediate for some styles of patching. Especially including its own clock and having smart modulation for that on one of the rows is interesting to me.
Yup I’m definitely not getting rid of my SQ1, especially since you can get polyrhythms much easier than the øcontrol (I’m pretty sure there’s no easy way to get polyrhythms on the øcontrol although knowing make noise I would bet there’s some ... less obvious ... way to do it)

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Wed May 20, 2020 1:22 pm

... .this shit's hilarious. mike seeing how far he can lead a donkey without a rope. :yay:

aside from the marketing stunt, the gadget itself does look useful.

the conjecture in this thread was entertaining ... so many folks going on about "obviously it's this" and "obviously it's that" ..... haahaa! ... obviously they were wrong.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i hope mike got a good chuckle. btw, i'm no mn hater ... got 4 maths and a few other stuffs.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

DallasKnight
Common Wiggler

Post by DallasKnight » Wed May 20, 2020 1:39 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:22 pm
... .this shit's hilarious. mike seeing how far he can lead a donkey without a rope. :yay:

aside from the marketing stunt, the gadget itself does look useful.

the conjecture in this thread was entertaining ... so many folks going on about "obviously it's this" and "obviously it's that" ..... haahaa! ... obviously they were wrong.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i hope mike got a good chuckle. btw, i'm no mn hater ... got 4 maths and a few other stuffs.
Whatever floats ya boat fella

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Wed May 20, 2020 2:35 pm

:cookiemonster:
Last edited by gloamtrotter on Wed May 20, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturligfunktion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Wed May 20, 2020 3:58 pm

Im really exited for this one. Only setback for me is that it doesnt seem to have a 1v/octave out, which would be nice but hey u cant get everything

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed May 20, 2020 6:12 pm

It's whatever tuning you set it to, which is kind of the point.

Muzone
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muzone » Thu May 21, 2020 2:23 am

Received my 0-CTRL yesterday, far too early to say "I know what it can do" but first impressions are it was just what my 0-coast needed and is really fun to play.
The pairing just feels right ergonomically and operationally and for me that makes a big difference in how I interact with the equipment - the two together actually feel like a musical instrument, which for me is a first for synths this (relatively) cheap :)

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:57 am

... interesting thread ... interesting goody ... i see a number of musings comparing this gadget to putting together a few modules to emulate this thing's functions. i know that there have been problems posted about grounding issues causing difficult or improper operation of the pressure points and a few other touch/pressure control modules (a search will show this). this issue has mostly been troubleshot down to improper power systems in the modular case, more specifically grounding issues that weren't properly addressed in the cabinet's design. that said, i have to wonder how this new make noise gadget will work out, with respect to grounding issues within various studio systems, and integrating this controller into various studio systems. it's a fair question, it's at least fairly likely that the tech used in the pressure points (and others of that type) was also used in this o-control ...

:despair:
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

Late Air
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Late Air » Thu May 21, 2020 8:51 pm

Muzone wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:23 am
Received my 0-CTRL yesterday, far too early to say "I know what it can do" but first impressions are it was just what my 0-coast needed and is really fun to play.
The pairing just feels right ergonomically and operationally and for me that makes a big difference in how I interact with the equipment - the two together actually feel like a musical instrument, which for me is a first for synths this (relatively) cheap :)
I had that same quote basically today. The øcoast by itself is a fun synth module. With the øcontrol it’s an instrument.

Also figured out how to do polyrhythms. As outlined in multiple videos, just set the gate out of a step to reset. Awesome! Have a fun patch I’ll upload to soundcloud in a bit

Late Air
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Late Air » Thu May 21, 2020 9:15 pm

alright so here's mod on the clock to send it into the audio range to create "chords" and AM sidebands and gates to create a chord change of sorts

https://soundcloud.com/lateair/ocontrol ... uN2uEBXLCC

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Fri May 22, 2020 12:00 pm

Received the 0-Ctrl yesterday.

Very cool sequencer/controller.

My plan did not work out on putting in my rack, however. The touch plates did not recognize my finger presses to jump to new locations produce gates or voltage. The pressure would work. I think this must be that my case did not provide enough power and this may be part of the Make Noise decision to put into it's own housing with a power supply.

Once back in it's own case, everything worked as it should.

I thought I'd share one tip that I found in order to get odd clocks sync'd to an external clock.

Put an 8th note clock into the clock input. When mixed with the internal clock you can adjust speed parameter and start to sequence "time" with some very cool results.

Overall, this thing is a great value imo and I love that there are no menus/firmware updates, etc. Instant FUN.
F/S Eventide Space, z8000 v2

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Fri May 22, 2020 12:13 pm

... DOH!!!! in a previous post in this thread I said "Mike" ..... I meant "Tony". no excuses for the mistake, just a case of dumassery.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sat May 23, 2020 12:27 pm

Got mine today and have been playing with it a little. It feels really good! No touchplate problems at all, even though Pressure Points was unplayable with my dry skin (granted, it's very humid right now... but I still believe they have this fixed).

Combining the internal clock with an external one works nicely, given the way it sort of "merges" the clocks if they happen to fall the right way. The attenuator on the Time row really lets you dial in just the right groove and it feels natural.

I'm happy to say that the dynamic gate output works really nicely with Natural Gate's Hit input (and of course the envelope out works well too).

I bet this would be fun to pair with something like Sequential Switch Matrix etc. to reassign the rows -- use the pitch row to control Strength, etc. and switch it automatically after several steps.

Patching the clock out to a clock divider or Euclidean sequencer, and then back into Time, can give pretty precise (or algorithmically weird) swing patterns.

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sun May 24, 2020 10:07 am

starthief wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:27 pm
Patching the clock out to a clock divider or Euclidean sequencer, and then back into Time, can give pretty precise (or algorithmically weird) swing patterns.
That sounds cool-- will have to experiment with that! :tu:

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sun May 24, 2020 10:13 am

I got my 0-Ctrl on Friday night and have been practicing a few techniques, so I thought I'd share a round of patch tips. These tips could be adapted to any analog sequencer with appropriate clocks/envelopes.

It is awesome as a "techno brain" like I used my Voltage Multistage when I had it. It is also launch controls straight into crazy experimental territory and the speed control, strength control and time control are excellent performance controllers (speed is much more useful when the 0-Ctrl is clocked externally-- it's like it modifies the incoming clock converting it to a longer gate or shorter trigger-- hear for yourself with the VC Envelope Length patch which is a feature I very much wanted to be able to recreate from the VMS!)

VC Ratcheting
Use cycling slope circuit for dynamics (or other external envelope). Patch 0-Ctrl clock out to slope trigger input. Run the 0-Ctrl clock. Use a heavily attenuated voltage voltage row to set ratchets. More voltage = more ratchets! Patch EOC to STOP (subtle, but can tighten up some really close triggers). Bonus: use the dynamic envelope for timbre control while ratcheting envelope controls VCA or vice-versa.

VC Repeat
Use cycling slope circuit for dynamics (or other external envelope). Patch 0-Ctrl clock to dynamics. Set 0-Ctrl to run at the fastest rate you want to move between steps. Tune cycling envelope to the fastest envelope for amplitude. This must be faster than the 0-Ctrl's internal clock. Patch 0-Ctrl clock out to slope trigger input.

VC Envelope Length
Clock 0-Ctrl externally. Ensure that internal clock is not running. Use the dynamic gate/dynamic envelope outputs for variable-length envelopes. Set speed control to fastest desirable envelope length. Use the time row to lengthen the envelope per-step as desired.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun May 24, 2020 11:33 am

luketeaford wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:13 am
VC Envelope Length
Clock 0-Ctrl externally. Ensure that internal clock is not running. Use the dynamic gate/dynamic envelope outputs for variable-length envelopes. Set speed control to fastest desirable envelope length. Use the time row to lengthen the envelope per-step as desired.
That one's really useful! Speed becomes an overall envelope time performance control.

Also: the clock output follows the rhythm, but a bit differently from the dynamic gate according to time/strength controls, so you can get two sequences out of it. Everything varies as you change Speed and the Time and Strength attenuators.

Here I'm clocking 0-Ctrl with Mimeophon. E352 output 1 through a VCA opened by the dynamic envelope, through Mimeophon. Output 2 through a VCA opened by a decay envelope triggered by 0-Ctrl's clock output, through a delay clocked by the dynamic gate output. All I'm tweaking during the recording is the Speed knob and main Strength and Time attenuators (not the actual sequence row knobs).

euxine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by euxine » Tue May 26, 2020 6:12 am

Great thread! Great controller. Anyone had luck getting steady gates using external clock?
FS: Frap Tools CGM Mixer, SSI M-4 stereo mixer

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Tue May 26, 2020 6:49 am

starthief wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:33 am
Nice track!
euxine wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:12 am
Great thread! Great controller. Anyone had luck getting steady gates using external clock?
Yeah, if the internal clock is not running when the external clock is, the gate output is steady-- but it does something that sounds to me like extending the gate if the speed control is slower than external clock or converting to a trigger if it's faster.

euxine
Wiggling with Experience

Post by euxine » Tue May 26, 2020 7:21 am

luketeaford wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:49 am
Yeah, if the internal clock is not running when the external clock is, the gate output is steady-- but it does something that sounds to me like extending the gate if the speed control is slower than external clock or converting to a trigger if it's faster.
Aaaaahhhhhh!!!! I got it. You're right about the clock not running. If you stop the clock, then int clock speed essentially shortens the gate down to trig length as it travels CW. (what you said).

What I was trying to do (which might not be possible) was to get an irregular sequence going that was influenced by a regular ext. clock. I'll keep trying, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just down to the clock circuit they're using. Also the issue of things not lining up exactly when you have continuous length adjustment per step - what would sync be in that case?
FS: Frap Tools CGM Mixer, SSI M-4 stereo mixer

DMR
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DMR » Tue May 26, 2020 9:43 am

I don't have a 0-control, but from the descriptions online, it sounds like the internal clock is essentially a cycling function generator as in one Channel of Maths, where the clock out is the end of cycle, envelope out is function out, and time is decay length. The 0-control behavior with external clocks seems to be the same as what happens when you externally trigger a function generator like Maths.

Return to “General Gear”