Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

modularbeat
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by modularbeat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:17 pm

0-Ctrl looks so cool but I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around how the clock/speed/time/strength functions interact if anyone can explain.

1. When using the internal clock (Speed knob), is this effectively setting the shortest possible time between steps (although this can be lengthened using the time knobs?).

2. The manual states "The Dynamic Gate goes high every time the 0-CTRL is clocked, and stays high for 60% of one pulse at the current clock rate" and "When the Time attenuator is turned up, the Time row will set the Clock Rate per step, and thereby the length of each note in the sequence". I'm assuming that "clocked" means any time the sequence is running from the internal or external clock. So does this mean that changing the individual time knobs always changes step length AND gate duration at this 60% ratio?

3. I see that the ASR-type envelope's duration can be adjusted with the strength knobs, but it's not clear what the actual relationship is between the step length/frequency and the envelope's ASR stages. I'm trying to figure out if I can run a slow clock and have loooooong sustained notes that take up the whole step duration or if the envelope length is capped at a certain length of time or % of the overall step length.

4. The manual states "When Clocking the 0-CTRL externally, the Speed and Time controls still affect the length of the Dynamic Envelopes, Dynamic Gates, and Clock Output. Internal Speeds that are faster than the external Clock will result in short pulses, while those that are slower will result in "ties."" So does this mean that the dynamic gate ISN'T fixed at 60% of one pulse/step, but can actually be shorter or longer?

Appreciate any insight!

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:56 pm

modularjammer wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:17 pm
0-Ctrl looks so cool but I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around how the clock/speed/time/strength functions interact if anyone can explain.

1. When using the internal clock (Speed knob), is this effectively setting the shortest possible time between steps (although this can be lengthened using the time knobs?).

2. The manual states "The Dynamic Gate goes high every time the 0-CTRL is clocked, and stays high for 60% of one pulse at the current clock rate" and "When the Time attenuator is turned up, the Time row will set the Clock Rate per step, and thereby the length of each note in the sequence". I'm assuming that "clocked" means any time the sequence is running from the internal or external clock. So does this mean that changing the individual time knobs always changes step length AND gate duration at this 60% ratio?

3. I see that the ASR-type envelope's duration can be adjusted with the strength knobs, but it's not clear what the actual relationship is between the step length/frequency and the envelope's ASR stages. I'm trying to figure out if I can run a slow clock and have loooooong sustained notes that take up the whole step duration or if the envelope length is capped at a certain length of time or % of the overall step length.

4. The manual states "When Clocking the 0-CTRL externally, the Speed and Time controls still affect the length of the Dynamic Envelopes, Dynamic Gates, and Clock Output. Internal Speeds that are faster than the external Clock will result in short pulses, while those that are slower will result in "ties."" So does this mean that the dynamic gate ISN'T fixed at 60% of one pulse/step, but can actually be shorter or longer?

Appreciate any insight!
1. Yes, exactly.

2. If it's clocked externally, the time expands for longer gate length. If it's clocked internally, the dynamic gate length changes but remains 60% (if that's what the manual says).

3. Clocked internally, no, the ratio is constant (or approximately constant). Like it will always decay before moving to the next step.

4. Yes, when it's clocked externally it has no way of knowing what 60% is as far as I can tell (manual gates, imagine).

sexslut
Common Wiggler

Post by sexslut » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:01 pm

Lento_Zoom wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:04 pm
I’ve run it fine off 12V. It just needs enough current. 500ma was enough for me, but I needed to use a 3A supply to power it with a splitter also powering my euro case. I also powered it and my case with this battery:

The battery comes with a splitter too!
I just got this battery today. Using the splitter that came with it, it mostly works! The pressure out works, but the touch pads are unresponsive other than that (touch gate doesn't work, selecting steps doesn't work, etc.). I also had to toggle the interrupt setting to get the clock/sequencer to work. Same issues with only the 0-ctrl plugged in.

I'll report back on battery life, but it's looking pretty good.

Very cool, but also extremely frustrating... so close to what I've been dreaming of! If anybody knows of a battery that can power both the 0-ctrl and 0-coast at the same time (or even just the 0-ctrl), with full functionality, please let me know! thanks!

EDIT: After charging the battery up to 100%, everything is working as expected! Previously when I tried it, it was at about 75%. Seems it needs a full charge to work properly, but it's been running for about an hour now without issue. Battery still reads full.

SinedOff
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SinedOff » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:12 am

I'm curious how others are using their 0-Ctrl with a modular system, not a 0-Coast. I am trying my best to fully utilize the dynamic gate and envelope outputs... With mixed success.

Currently I have the dynamic envelope going to the Freq 1 input on my QPAS. Works nicely to sort of ping the filter.

I am trying to get the dynamic gate to work with the signal input on my Maths (which feeds into my VCA) to create some longer envelopes so that I can let some of the steps ring out. I'm actually multing the dynamic gate, running one line into Maths, and then the other is running into the trigger input on my RND Step S&H. With the 0-Ctrl pitch out being the sampled signal. This let's me sort of truly shut off steps on the 0-Ctrl so I can let some steps have longer releases without a shifting pitch.

A few things I have noticed about utilizing that RND Step... It works, but it really requires the Speed knob on the 0-Ctrl to be turned up to about 3 o'clock so that the dynamic gates have enough of a break in-between steps to be recognized as a distinct trigger. The 0-Ctrl manual claims that the dynamic gates are always only about 60% of the clock pulse width, but that seems to change when you adjust either Speed or Time. As Speed approaches noon, the pitches start to become static, locked into one pitch... I think because the RND Step is no longer seeing a leading edge of a gate, they are all bleeding together... I think?

I have also tried utilizing the standard gate out to trigger the RND Step, but it does not work properly as those gates take up the entire clock pulse and there is never a dip in signal across multiple activated steps.

I wish their was a trigger output on the 0-Ctrl that fired at the beginning of each step. Would make my life way easier right now :) Any thoughts on different ways I could achieve what I'm going for? How have you integrated it with you system?

Easterner
Common Wiggler

Post by Easterner » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:43 am

Seems reminiscent of a mini Serge! 0-Ctrl is a bit like the Serge TKB, along with the 0-Coast, which to my ears sounds a bit like the Serge wave multiplier?

Neither
Common Wiggler

Post by Neither » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:38 am

I wonder if dynamic gates would somehow work with Doepfer A-132-8 Octal Poly VCA?

What drum modules are known to support dynamic gates? There are Tip Top’s 808/909 series but those modules seem a bit too conservative.

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:10 pm

Are these shipping yet? I already have a Typhon on pre-order and am trying to avoid too many pre-ordered type stuff.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:20 pm

pmboos wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:10 pm
Are these shipping yet? I already have a Typhon on pre-order and am trying to avoid too many pre-ordered type stuff.
Yup, I have had mine since mid-May.

crowleywaltz
Common Wiggler

Post by crowleywaltz » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:33 pm

First batch shipped but they seem to be sold out everywhere. I think Make Noise have been hit by COVID shutdowns pretty hard, a lot of their stuff's been sold out in shops for months.

slaverevoltinaesthetics
Learning to Wiggle

Post by slaverevoltinaesthetics » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:03 pm

Control claim to have them in stock.
https://www.ctrl-mod.com/collections/re ... cts/0-ctrl

Unborn Gore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Unborn Gore » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:32 am

I got mine from Control. Great service.

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:40 pm

slaverevoltinaesthetics wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:03 pm
Control claim to have them in stock.
https://www.ctrl-mod.com/collections/re ... cts/0-ctrl
Thanks - just ordered one....
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:17 pm

Unborn Gore wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:32 am
I got mine from Control. Great service.
And it has already shipped!
---

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:54 pm

I’m considering an 0-CTRL and I’m wondering why is it, as the manual says that “You must always patch at least two cables between the 0-CTRL and the device to be controlled”?

What happens if you want to patch only one? Must the two cables be connected to the same module?

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:32 pm

xxeyes wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:54 pm
I’m considering an 0-CTRL and I’m wondering why is it, as the manual says that “You must always patch at least two cables between the 0-CTRL and the device to be controlled”?

What happens if you want to patch only one? Must the two cables be connected to the same module?
It has to do with grounding and is therefore beyond my expertise, but I have patched with a single cable and been fine and you'll see MN videos where they patch from scratch with a single cable for a while. I think anything on the same power supply is fine, so, no it doesn't need to be the same module.

Triglav
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Triglav » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:28 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:43 am
The pressure output of the 0-Ctrl has a slew applied to it (not sure how it works in the circuitry, but it sounds like that).
Could you maybe show this on a scope or in a demo video? I’m thinking of getting one but that might make me reconsider.

EDIT: Ah, I’ve found one. Seems like a rather long decay.

xxeyes
Learning to Wiggle

Post by xxeyes » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:21 am

luketeaford wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:32 pm
xxeyes wrote:

It has to do with grounding and is therefore beyond my expertise, but I have patched with a single cable and been fine and you'll see MN videos where they patch from scratch with a single cable for a while. I think anything on the same power supply is fine, so, no it doesn't need to be the same module.
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you!

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:19 pm

Triglav wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:28 pm
luketeaford wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:43 am
The pressure output of the 0-Ctrl has a slew applied to it (not sure how it works in the circuitry, but it sounds like that).
Could you maybe show this on a scope or in a demo video? I’m thinking of getting one but that might make me reconsider.

EDIT: Ah, I’ve found one. Seems like a rather long decay.
It has to do with the pressure (and possibly duration?). It is really nice -- if you need to dial in something specific the pressure gate output has no slew on it so you could use that.

berth9999
Learning to Wiggle

Post by berth9999 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:41 am

For what it is worth. I was having this (grounding) problem too. I did notice that If I hold the 0-CTRL with my other hand somewhere, preferably a piece of blank metal like the in and outputs, it goes fine. Maybe I should buy a grounding strap. ;-)
Must be calluses on my fingers from playing the bass why my fingers are too dry.

neumedi
Common Wiggler

Post by neumedi » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:28 pm

Is anyone using two 0-ctrl's to get a true 16-step sequence? If so, how do you have it patched?

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:44 am

neumedi wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:28 pm
Is anyone using two 0-ctrl's to get a true 16-step sequence? If so, how do you have it patched?
You can send two of the cv lanes to a 2-1 switch and trigger the switch with the gate out of step 1 to jump between them

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:01 pm

luketeaford wrote:
xxeyes wrote:

Re: power supply, how are you powering both from one?

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:46 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:01 pm
luketeaford wrote:
xxeyes wrote:

Sorry-- confusing wording on my part. I plug both of the included adapters into a surge protector. Each is using its own included power supply -- no tricks of any kind on my part!

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:39 am

luketeaford wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:46 am
Sir Ruff wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:01 pm
luketeaford wrote:
xxeyes wrote:

Sorry-- confusing wording on my part. I plug both of the included adapters into a surge protector. Each is using its own included power supply -- no tricks of any kind on my part!
Ok, that makes sense!

tvparcable
Common Wiggler

Post by tvparcable » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:48 am

Just got mine last weekend and I'm pleased to report that it's the most fun I've had with a new piece gear in a long time! While it pairs very well with the 0-Coast, it's also amazing to control all sorts of other destinations. I've found myself having tons of fun programming and "playing" drums on my SSF (sort of like treating the pair as a playable mini-DFAM) or controlling VCOs that have multiple inputs to modulate the timbres (the pressure control is a very intuitive way to control Mangrove's Air input for instance). I make a lot of long ambient jams that don't necessarily follow a fixed tempo, and the 0-ctrl definitely adds a ton of freedom that complements René very well.

Anyway, that's it for the praises, I had a question :)
Is there a way to simply switch between hand control and sequences without re-patching anything? I like to use it to trigger an enveloppe as well as playing notes, so I'd patch the Pressure gate output to my EG. Issue is when I switch back to sequence mode, since the Pressure gate out is not triggered during the sequence, nothing fires up my EG anymore. I found two imperfect workararounds so far:
- Patching the pressure gate out to the clock in and triggering my envelope with the clock out (downsides: 1. when in sequence mode, pressing the plates would disrupt the clock by firing unwanted gates 2. you cannot use long gates on your envelopes, only one-hit triggers)
- Using the strength channel's to trigger my envelope (downside: you lose a channel of cv you may want to assign to something else)

I was wondering if there is a better solution in order to somehow use both the clock gate out when the sequence is running, and the touch gate out when it's not, both to the same destination? Could a logic module that sums positive outputs be my solution maybe?

Return to “General Gear”