Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
Kroggel
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:59 am
Location: Europe

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by Kroggel » Wed May 06, 2020 1:29 am

A little bit sad it only has that one clock output. 2 with one divider and it world be a perfekt match for rene 2

User avatar
tvparcable
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by tvparcable » Wed May 06, 2020 5:28 am

At first, I was quite underwhelmed watching the official announcement. Looking at their different announcement and promotional videos, it makes me think that maybe Make Noise isn't so good at selling their own modules... Meanwhile, Mylar might be a bit "too good" of a salesman, and now I kinda want one :P The ability to give a DFAM-like workflow with added twists to pretty much anything, and the fact that it won't require to sacrifice HP space is a great selling point to me. Plus in terms of pure "playability", it really makes sense not to have this covered in cable inside a case, but that's a personal point of view. I don't think many controller devices present that much "instinctive-jamming" potential in the world of Eurorack, so it's definitely something I would like to try. It's fun-oriented instead of feature-oriented, which is a design approach I have to commend on.

User avatar
Jerome
Common Wiggler
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:02 pm
Location: Liège

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by Jerome » Wed May 06, 2020 6:31 am

Mylar Melodies review was epic !!!

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1131
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by insoul8 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:43 am

I'm considering getting rid of my Verbos Voltage Multistage in favor of this. Seems like there is quite a bit of crossover between the two and they both take inspiration from the Buchla 248. What do you think? Dumb move?

User avatar
Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1449
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:17 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Wed May 06, 2020 7:46 am

insoul8 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:43 am
I'm considering getting rid of my Verbos Voltage Multistage in favor of this. Seems like there is quite a bit of crossover between the two and they both take inspiration from the Buchla 248. What do you think? Dumb move?
Both are indeed very similar ! VMS pretty much has all the sequencer features minus the direction.

I wouldn't switch but Mylar's video made a VERY strong case for both 0-Coast/Control and a 808 :)

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1131
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by insoul8 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:52 am

Tumulishroomaroom wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:46 am
insoul8 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:43 am
I'm considering getting rid of my Verbos Voltage Multistage in favor of this. Seems like there is quite a bit of crossover between the two and they both take inspiration from the Buchla 248. What do you think? Dumb move?
Both are indeed very similar ! VMS pretty much has all the sequencer features minus the direction.

I wouldn't switch but Mylar's video made a VERY strong case for both 0-Coast/Control and a 808 :)
Yea, the use of the dynamic gate with the 0-Coast is pretty neat. I had no idea the 0-Coast had that feature.

As far as switching goes, there is of course the price difference which works in my favor, as well as saving the hp. And of course adding the touch capabilities. I will miss the cv addressable reset though. Tough call.

User avatar
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1721
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by luketeaford » Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 am

insoul8 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:43 am
I'm considering getting rid of my Verbos Voltage Multistage in favor of this. Seems like there is quite a bit of crossover between the two and they both take inspiration from the Buchla 248. What do you think? Dumb move?
I sold my VMS (I loved it, but needed a new phone...) and have missed some of the sequencing this enables. I do like the sliders and glide/gate off per step of the VMS (so you can use it as a complex envelope/LFO on its own).

This is cheaper, external, has more interesting touch control, direction, and a third row, so I am hoping it will replace the VMS for me. :tu:

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1131
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by insoul8 » Wed May 06, 2020 8:05 am

luketeaford wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 am
insoul8 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:43 am
I'm considering getting rid of my Verbos Voltage Multistage in favor of this. Seems like there is quite a bit of crossover between the two and they both take inspiration from the Buchla 248. What do you think? Dumb move?
I sold my VMS (I loved it, but needed a new phone...) and have missed some of the sequencing this enables. I do like the sliders and glide/gate off per step of the VMS (so you can use it as a complex envelope/LFO on its own).

This is cheaper, external, has more interesting touch control, direction, and a third row, so I am hoping it will replace the VMS for me. :tu:
Yea, the complex envelopes are indeed very cool but I tend not to use it for that very often. Looks like you can turn the gate all the way down for a gate off on the 0-Ctrl though, right? I think this will be a solid alternative but definitely not a complete replacement. I will be watching your Instagram closely at any rate. :razz:

freqshift
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:07 pm

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by freqshift » Wed May 06, 2020 8:33 am

orangehexagon wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 7:48 pm
freqshift wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:43 pm
It took me two+ years to stop calling the 0-coast an "oh coast" (which is weird I'd even call it that since it's a pet peeve of mine that "0" is "zero" not "oh") after hearing everyone call it "no coast" and now I see 0-CTRL URL on the Make Noise website is "ohctrl" (http://makenoisemusic.com/synthesizers/ohctrl).

I give up.
Quarantine got you feeling so uptight you had to create a muffwigglers acct just so you could post this?

If you went through the effort of checking my account you would have noticed I created this before 0-CTRL was announced. I had to start somewhere with posting, next time I'll run my comments by you to approve for posting.

User avatar
mulder
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:31 am
Location: Philly

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by mulder » Wed May 06, 2020 9:31 am

I was just about to ask about the buchla crossover between this and the verbos module. I think will have to consider this one.

User avatar
Roge Piltoney
Common Wiggler
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:51 am
Location: Washington DC

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by Roge Piltoney » Wed May 06, 2020 11:00 am

So what do you all think, any reason to have a Pressure points still? Like I said before I just bought 2x pressure points and a brains right before this was released and I need someone to tell me I'm worth lov- I mean my purchase wasn't in vain.

bayrumblues
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by bayrumblues » Wed May 06, 2020 11:06 am

Ordered. Along with one of these super limited analog Buchla-inspired desktop modular expansion modules:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B079LQ ... UTF8&psc=1

User avatar
xcc
Common Wiggler
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:37 am
Location: TX

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by xcc » Wed May 06, 2020 11:27 am

Roge Piltoney wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:00 am
So what do you all think, any reason to have a Pressure points still? Like I said before I just bought 2x pressure points and a brains right before this was released and I need someone to tell me I'm worth lov- I mean my purchase wasn't in vain.
Yes, you are worthy of love, and a touch controller/sequencer for each hand ;).

User avatar
chachi
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 486
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:50 am
Location: north portland, OR

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by chachi » Wed May 06, 2020 11:35 am

xcc wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:27 am
Roge Piltoney wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 11:00 am
So what do you all think, any reason to have a Pressure points still? Like I said before I just bought 2x pressure points and a brains right before this was released and I need someone to tell me I'm worth lov- I mean my purchase wasn't in vain.
Yes, you are worthy of love, and a touch controller/sequencer for each hand ;).
i will keep my PP/B when i buy this, if that makes you feel better. it’s always nice to have a touch switched cv amount at the ready.

User avatar
mritenburg
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:17 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by mritenburg » Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 pm

insoul8 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:43 am
I'm considering getting rid of my Verbos Voltage Multistage in favor of this. Seems like there is quite a bit of crossover between the two and they both take inspiration from the Buchla 248. What do you think? Dumb move?
The 0-Ctrl is more like the Buchla 218e on steroids. It’s a touch activated sequencer like the 218e, but also has some Serge TKB capabilities in there. I would keep the VMS and use the 0-Ctrl to explore the Enable/Sustain/Stop/Start features of the VMS.
Disappointment with any module is usually a failure of imagination.

It’s not Glitch, it’s not Granular, what in the f*** is that?!?!


User avatar
Esnan
Common Wiggler
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:07 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by Esnan » Wed May 06, 2020 12:29 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I have both the VMS and Brains/2xPP in my racks, and as far as I'm concerned I'm not going to replace either of them. I feel that if I didn't have them, I would most def get a O-ctrl, but now I feel totally covered in the analog-8-step-realm. The only thing I will miss is the directional switch - the Brains DIR input needs a continuous gate to change direction but I guess that is playable in another way.

The O-ctrl seems to be a fantastic thing to create constantly evolving melodies with, just like the Pressure Points-one lets you do.
Like this:

User avatar
insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1131
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:48 am
Location: Washington, DC

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by insoul8 » Wed May 06, 2020 12:39 pm

mritenburg wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:19 pm
insoul8 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:43 am
I'm considering getting rid of my Verbos Voltage Multistage in favor of this. Seems like there is quite a bit of crossover between the two and they both take inspiration from the Buchla 248. What do you think? Dumb move?
The 0-Ctrl is more like the Buchla 218e on steroids. It’s a touch activated sequencer like the 218e, but also has some Serge TKB capabilities in there. I would keep the VMS and use the 0-Ctrl to explore the Enable/Sustain/Stop/Start features of the VMS.
That's a good idea. Not the most financially responsible idea, but yea, maybe I could convince myself to have both.

Treptower Park
1-Post Wiggler
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 1:03 pm

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by Treptower Park » Wed May 06, 2020 1:10 pm

I just bought a 0-Coast along with a Grandmother last week. Now this thing comes out.
Had an SQ-1 reserved locally. He can keep this thing now. Reserved my 0-Control at Schneiders today. They expect their first shipment by end of the month. First dive into hardware modular after being in love with Madrona Labs´ Aalto for almost 10 years. This type of sound and control was pretty much unobtainable for my lazy poor backside. And now I can have some sort of an Easel in my backpack. Great stuff, Make Noise!

Edit: Made an account today since apparently I joined the modular fray officially. Been reading the 0-Coast thread at least twice before purchase. So thank you Wigglers for guiding my ways without even knowing :yay: :sb: :hail:

User avatar
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1721
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by luketeaford » Wed May 06, 2020 3:53 pm

Treptower Park wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 1:10 pm
I just bought a 0-Coast along with a Grandmother last week. Now this thing comes out.
Had an SQ-1 reserved locally. He can keep this thing now. Reserved my 0-Control at Schneiders today. They expect their first shipment by end of the month. First dive into hardware modular after being in love with Madrona Labs´ Aalto for almost 10 years. This type of sound and control was pretty much unobtainable for my lazy poor backside. And now I can have some sort of an Easel in my backpack. Great stuff, Make Noise!

Edit: Made an account today since apparently I joined the modular fray officially. Been reading the 0-Coast thread at least twice before purchase. So thank you Wigglers for guiding my ways without even knowing :yay: :sb: :hail:
Welcome aboard-- sounds like you're in for a lot of fun! The SQ1 is underated in my opinion-- even if you have a lot of 8 step sequencers, it's neat that you can set independent lengths per channel and turn individual steps on/off. It's not as interesting as the 0-Ctrl, but there's still so much you can do with it.

thesevensteves
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by thesevensteves » Wed May 06, 2020 4:05 pm

really hoping for someone to build a little lunchbox type case to house 0-Coast and 0-Ctrl...ideas?

User avatar
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1721
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by luketeaford » Wed May 06, 2020 4:15 pm

insoul8 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:05 am
luketeaford wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 am
insoul8 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:43 am
I'm considering getting rid of my Verbos Voltage Multistage in favor of this. Seems like there is quite a bit of crossover between the two and they both take inspiration from the Buchla 248. What do you think? Dumb move?
I sold my VMS (I loved it, but needed a new phone...) and have missed some of the sequencing this enables. I do like the sliders and glide/gate off per step of the VMS (so you can use it as a complex envelope/LFO on its own).

This is cheaper, external, has more interesting touch control, direction, and a third row, so I am hoping it will replace the VMS for me. :tu:
Yea, the complex envelopes are indeed very cool but I tend not to use it for that very often. Looks like you can turn the gate all the way down for a gate off on the 0-Ctrl though, right? I think this will be a solid alternative but definitely not a complete replacement. I will be watching your Instagram closely at any rate. :razz:
Yeah, but if I remember correctly, the VMS does that cool thing where if you turn the gate off, the pitch doesn't change either (and switches are easier to do that with)

I will be sure to spam out lots of demos of this thing :guinness:

sleepmute
Common Wiggler
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by sleepmute » Wed May 06, 2020 5:55 pm

I'm a little confused about the Strength output. It's a little odd that till now no one knew the 0-Coast gate input responded to different trigger amplitudes, but it seems clear in retrospect that it was designed for this specific use. But if you weren't using the 0-Coast, would the strength output act like a tunable fixed voltage that you could use for other things?

User avatar
luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1721
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:54 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by luketeaford » Wed May 06, 2020 6:04 pm

sleepmute wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:55 pm
I'm a little confused about the Strength output. It's a little odd that till now no one knew the 0-Coast gate input responded to different trigger amplitudes, but it seems clear in retrospect that it was designed for this specific use. But if you weren't using the 0-Coast, would the strength output act like a tunable fixed voltage that you could use for other things?
Yeah-- you can use the three rows for whatever you want, I think. It seems there are normalizations for the bottom channel into time so it will affect the internal sequencer's clock if you don't attenuate or put a dummy cable in.

I feel like I have noticed that characteristic of the 0-Coast gate input and it's kind of natural which makes it a little harder to notice (because it sounds "organic" if you'll pardon the cliche. Vactrols have a little bit of this characteristic and the length/amplitude/sharpness of gates pinging the MN vactrol modules makes interesting tonal differences.

sleepmute
Common Wiggler
Posts: 219
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:36 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by sleepmute » Wed May 06, 2020 7:43 pm

I’d be curious to get confirmation on that. If it can act like a Pressure Points, with multiple tuned voltage outs (and apart from the individual pressure outs) that’d make it more appealing to me than if it was just a sequencer. I’d like to know more about how it can be used as a control surface for things besides the 0-Coast.

beepnsleep
Common Wiggler
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:19 pm

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by beepnsleep » Wed May 06, 2020 7:49 pm

sleepmute wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:55 pm
I'm a little confused about the Strength output. It's a little odd that till now no one knew the 0-Coast gate input responded to different trigger amplitudes, but it seems clear in retrospect that it was designed for this specific use. But if you weren't using the 0-Coast, would the strength output act like a tunable fixed voltage that you could use for other things?
there's also modules that react to variable gates. the main one I'm aware of is Metasonix RK1. perhaps other drum modules?

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”