Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Kja
Common Wiggler

Re: Make Noise 0-Ctrl

Post by Kja » Wed May 06, 2020 8:32 pm

thesevensteves wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:05 pm
really hoping for someone to build a little lunchbox type case to house 0-Coast and 0-Ctrl...ideas?
Exactly! With a built in power supply that can meet the two together so only one plug coming out.. that would be worth buying and I'm really suprised make noise don't have this already?

Late Air
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Late Air » Wed May 06, 2020 8:43 pm

Kja wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:32 pm
thesevensteves wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:05 pm
really hoping for someone to build a little lunchbox type case to house 0-Coast and 0-Ctrl...ideas?
Exactly! With a built in power supply that can meet the two together so only one plug coming out.. that would be worth buying and I'm really suprised make noise don't have this already?
yup would love this

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Wed May 06, 2020 9:34 pm

sleepmute wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:43 pm
I’d be curious to get confirmation on that. If it can act like a Pressure Points, with multiple tuned voltage outs (and apart from the individual pressure outs) that’d make it more appealing to me than if it was just a sequencer. I’d like to know more about how it can be used as a control surface for things besides the 0-Coast.
It's pretty simple: don't start the clock. Turn on interrupt mode. Patch the pressure output, of the three row outputs, and/or the 8 gate outputs, to whatever you want. Each plate you touch selects those three knob values for the three outputs and activates the associated gate.

And if you do want to use it as a sequencer with three rows without them affecting strength and time, you can turn down the main attenuators for those and/or patch external CV or dummy cables into those inputs. Or ignore the dynamic gate/envelope outputs.

sleepmute
Common Wiggler

Post by sleepmute » Wed May 06, 2020 10:32 pm

Oooh, so -- sorry for being dense -- the three outputs on the left just output static voltages that correspond to the knob positions? That's great. I was confused because they kept talking about strength being a gate output, but I guess that's only from the dedicate gate out jack. And then the time knobs have two simultaneous functions: outputting a static voltage from the white output jack as well as setting the time for each step when the clock is running. That's pretty cool and could lead to some interesting results if used altogether.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Thu May 07, 2020 3:15 am

I'm guessing if you clock it externally the time knobs don't have any effect? I can't see how this could work with an external clock, I presume internally the time parameter is just modulating the clock speed.
Not looking for another sequencer but yet again MakeNoise have made some very ingenious choices for something that seems relatively simple.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

the tone ranger
Common Wiggler

Post by the tone ranger » Thu May 07, 2020 5:39 am

0-Coast + 0-Ctrl + Koma Field Kit FX = :party:

GmbH
Learning to Wiggle

Post by GmbH » Thu May 07, 2020 5:43 am

Tiptop drum modules have an accent input. So here is a use case.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:41 am

beepnsleep wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:49 pm
sleepmute wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:55 pm
I'm a little confused about the Strength output. It's a little odd that till now no one knew the 0-Coast gate input responded to different trigger amplitudes, but it seems clear in retrospect that it was designed for this specific use. But if you weren't using the 0-Coast, would the strength output act like a tunable fixed voltage that you could use for other things?
there's also modules that react to variable gates. the main one I'm aware of is Metasonix RK1. perhaps other drum modules?
I’m curious what other modules have the same behavior that the 0-Coast does as far as responding to dynamic/variable gates on the gate input itself.

ronnieb
Common Wiggler

Post by ronnieb » Thu May 07, 2020 7:02 am

The new super Disting has a velocity-sensitive gate input for it"s multisample mode.
The MSW Syncussion clone has them too (and would assume all concussion clones as it's a pretty big element of the design)

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:37 am

Does the Make Noise Contour considering it was modeled after the 0-Coast circuit?

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Thu May 07, 2020 7:39 am

insoul8 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:37 am
Does the Make Noise Contour considering it was modeled after the 0-Coast circuit?
Yes. I have one as well as an 0-coast and their behaviour is identical. You get an extra mirrored output on the contour as well.

Suineder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Suineder » Thu May 07, 2020 9:01 am

The design of this thing is damned compelling. I love how easily the parts can be decoupled and rearranged.

NoLegs
Ultra Wiggler

Post by NoLegs » Thu May 07, 2020 9:50 am

Noise Engineering Sinc Bucina and Soma Pulsar-23.
insoul8 wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:41 am
beepnsleep wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:49 pm
sleepmute wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:55 pm
I'm a little confused about the Strength output. It's a little odd that till now no one knew the 0-Coast gate input responded to different trigger amplitudes, but it seems clear in retrospect that it was designed for this specific use. But if you weren't using the 0-Coast, would the strength output act like a tunable fixed voltage that you could use for other things?
there's also modules that react to variable gates. the main one I'm aware of is Metasonix RK1. perhaps other drum modules?
I’m curious what other modules have the same behavior that the 0-Coast does as far as responding to dynamic/variable gates on the gate input itself.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu May 07, 2020 10:51 am

insoul8 wrote:
It should work nicely with Maths (or other function generators based on slew) for ASR envelopes.

insoul8
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by insoul8 » Thu May 07, 2020 10:57 am

starthief wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:51 am
insoul8 wrote:
It should work nicely with Maths (or other function generators based on slew) for ASR envelopes.
Yea, that's what I was kind of thinking. Should be very cool indeed.

Late Air
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Late Air » Thu May 07, 2020 11:56 am

flashheart wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 3:15 am
I'm guessing if you clock it externally the time knobs don't have any effect? I can't see how this could work with an external clock, I presume internally the time parameter is just modulating the clock speed.
Not looking for another sequencer but yet again MakeNoise have made some very ingenious choices for something that seems relatively simple.
I think they can still work between clock trigs so you can get swing and smaller time divisions? We’ll see!

Suineder
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Suineder » Thu May 07, 2020 1:40 pm

Loopop showed in his video what happens when you combine the time knobs and an external clock. I couldn't suss out the exact relationship, but the 0-CTRL produces a non-straight gate pattern that nevertheless stays to the beat.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Re: Something new from Make Noise coming?

Post by MindMachine » Fri May 08, 2020 10:09 pm

insoul8 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:23 pm
Why is this thread sinking to the bottom even though it is still active?
To summarize expectations:

"I wanted it with Rainbow sherbet. To be succinct: Raspberry, lime and orange."

Besides that it look's like a very expressive controller. I've not seen a price yet.

I'm currently using the Serge TKB and an Arturia Microfreak for similar action. The Serge is not nearly as responsive as this looks. The FutureRetro 512 was on my list as a possibility too. They all make my Hungry Robot CV Keys look limited. :mrgreen:

It is a shame that every module/controller/effect/etc. cannot meet every single users needs. They have computers for that. Buy all of the software and load it in. Perfect scenario.

I wish my Micromoog had an arpeggiator and was MU mountable and cost less than when new.
FS: SP-555 Sampler, Pedals, ASol SQ8 - CHEAP!!!
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=227738
WTT: my Mangler for your Rumour

intuitionnyc
Veteran Wiggler

Post by intuitionnyc » Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 pm

One thing that might be cool (sorry if already mentioned) is a sort of 'Power stackable' jumper cable. This way, you can use one power supply for both the 0-Coast and 0-Control.

colossus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colossus » Mon May 11, 2020 6:58 pm

intuitionnyc wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 pm
One thing that might be cool (sorry if already mentioned) is a sort of 'Power stackable' jumper cable. This way, you can use one power supply for both the 0-Coast and 0-Control.
This exists. It's called a daisy chain cable. I don't think power specs are available on the 0-Ctrl though so jury is probably still out on if the stock psu can power both at once.

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Sat May 16, 2020 7:25 am

I really want this in my case. Having all the tactile control right there means it will feel more like a part of my system and ultimately get used more.

I just bought this adapter off of Ebay. Image

I will put a 3hp blank next to it committing 48hp to this monster!
F/S Eventide Space, z8000 v2

orangehexagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by orangehexagon » Sat May 16, 2020 10:18 pm

miles_macquarrie wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:25 am
I really want this in my case. Having all the tactile control right there means it will feel more like a part of my system and ultimately get used more.

I just bought this adapter off of Ebay. Image

I will put a 3hp blank next to it committing 48hp to this monster!
you could easily turn that 3hp blank into a passive mult too if you're crafty

Late Air
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Late Air » Sun May 17, 2020 4:41 pm

oh boy!

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Sun May 17, 2020 6:07 pm

Late Air wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:41 pm
oh boy!

How are you liking it so far? I am missing a small and hands on controller since I sold my voltage multistage and am really hoping to recapture some of that magic with the 0-Ctrl.

Late Air
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Late Air » Sun May 17, 2020 7:38 pm

luketeaford wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:07 pm
Late Air wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 4:41 pm
oh boy!

How are you liking it so far? I am missing a small and hands on controller since I sold my voltage multistage and am really hoping to recapture some of that magic with the 0-Ctrl.
It REALLY opens up the contour circuit. Like, I always felt I wasn’t nailing those plucky yet soft west coast sounds and the øcontrol is giving me what I expected I was gonna get when I first got the øcoast.

The time parameters are super fun. Slipping in and out of audio rate gives such amazing timbres. It is unwieldy at the moment but it has the feel of a playable section and makes the øcoast feel like a true instrument and not just a sound design source. I think baby buchla easel comparisons are spot on.

My immediate reaction is that I want to try and get familiar with it as an instrument but I think when paired with an octatrack it will be KILLER. Just record a bunch of passes, pick the best one/s , and move on to the next patch.

Return to “General Gear”