External storage in 2020 ? Streaming samples etc

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

External storage in 2020 ? Streaming samples etc

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri May 08, 2020 4:20 pm

Want to buy some external storage that I may want to stream sample libraries off , such as Trillian.

What’s the way to go ? A Sata to usb c adapter with a cheaper internal drive or something like a pcie enclosure with mvme memory ?

Will a sata to usb c be fast enough to stream samples effectively ?

SATA to USB-C Cable, Benfei USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) to SATA III Hard Driver Adapter w/UASP Compatible for 2.5 inch HDD and SSD

SSK Aluminum M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure Adapter, USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10 Gbps) to NGFF NVME PCI-E M-Key Solid State Drive External Enclosure (Fits only NVMe PCIe 2242/2260/2280)
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: External storage in 2020 ? Streaming samples etc

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon May 11, 2020 6:01 am

Well not that anybody asked , but I thought I’d update with what I went with.

Sata still seems to be by far the cheapest , and there is little difference between price of a cased drive and an internal with an adaptor till you get up to 1TB.

Going with a 1TB internal I saved £50 and used a USB 3.1 adaptor to get the speed I need. Most are 3.0

Total cost was around £100

Went with a Samsung internal and a Sabrent USB 3.1 to Sata adaptor. Cheapest way to get fast external storage I could find without paying for NVME prices, plus I here NVME runs quite hot ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon May 11, 2020 12:07 pm

interesting
do you think the fact that you have to deal with USB to SATA conversion impact the streaming speed?
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am
one of the reasons Buchla synths were originally appealing precisely because they were cheaper than moog, and you could probably trade drugs for them.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu May 14, 2020 2:19 pm

No , it’s way quicker than my fusion drive in my old iMac , at least it seems like it.

Trillian loads samples much faster now, no issues so far, touch wood!

For clarity I have the library on the external , and the data on the internal ssd.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu May 14, 2020 2:25 pm

This is the adapter I went with btw, I have a lot of Sabrent stuff now, seems like a quality company. Good thick cables etc.

Sabrent USB 3.1 (Type-A) to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive Adapter [Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] (EC-SS31)

Return to “General Gear”