Behringer Mono/Poly!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Behringer Mono/Poly!

Post by anselmi » Tue May 12, 2020 12:59 pm

OK, now they got me...

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am
one of the reasons Buchla synths were originally appealing precisely because they were cheaper than moog, and you could probably trade drugs for them.

stalfosia
Common Wiggler

Re: Behringer Mono/Poly!

Post by stalfosia » Tue May 12, 2020 1:03 pm

yeah... it sounds lovely

crawling wind
Wiggling with Experience

Post by crawling wind » Tue May 12, 2020 1:21 pm

Stereo or mono out?

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Tue May 12, 2020 1:23 pm

Oh wow! I haven’t wanted a non modular synth in a while but this one may get me. I have always wanted one of those.

Cybananna
Funniest Guy

Post by Cybananna » Tue May 12, 2020 1:29 pm

Anyone know if the mono/poly shares the same filter with the polysix?

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Tue May 12, 2020 1:31 pm

Christ that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen

Sounds good though!

nadafarms
Buy and Sell

Post by nadafarms » Tue May 12, 2020 1:51 pm

such a slap in korg's face, all those minilogues sound trashy to me but I would actually buy this.

GGW
Veteran Wiggler

Post by GGW » Tue May 12, 2020 1:58 pm

Not something I would get but it sounds good and looks great!

polyroy
Ambient Wiggler

Post by polyroy » Tue May 12, 2020 2:02 pm

Very underrated synth, massive sound. One of the few things I really regret selling.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue May 12, 2020 2:40 pm

Any mention of the price? If it's around the price of Poly D, it's definitely worth it.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Tue May 12, 2020 3:24 pm

Oh bloody hell! My studio may end up having a lot of Behringer in it.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Tajnost
Common Wiggler

Post by Tajnost » Tue May 12, 2020 3:37 pm

just my 2 cents as an owner of Mono/Poly for last 20 years:

it doesn't sound like M/P to me - lacks its filter "liquidity" and something about OSCs and FX section just doesn't match Korg. Of course hard to tell just from this small demo, but even now it's quite obvious. To me, Moog Matriarch sounds more monopolish than this, or Vermona Performer, which has some of MP magic, but go much further... and if one wants to get a vintage analog synth tone, it's better to look elsewhere (Dreadbox, Vermona, Sequential P6/OB6, MacBeth etc... )

however, yeah, nice-looking toy :)

kragg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by kragg » Tue May 12, 2020 3:43 pm

The Mono/Poly is a mesmerizing synth indeed.
This demo doesn't do that synth's full potential justice.
For once, I find that Behringer improved slightly over the original design. The MP4 is a one-of-a-kind synth, with a "thorn in between two eras" look (one eye looking towards the 80s, and the other one in the 70s). Behringer revamped it with a mor elegant and compact design (every other of their designs looked quite cheap imho).
I am wondering which kind of improvements they brought (Midi-USB, i guess, but what else?).

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by beatcleaver » Tue May 12, 2020 3:55 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by beatcleaver on Tue May 19, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard deHove
Common Wiggler

Post by Richard deHove » Tue May 12, 2020 3:56 pm

Tajnost wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:37 pm
just my 2 cents as an owner of Mono/Poly for last 20 years:
it doesn't sound like M/P to me - lacks its filter "liquidity" and something about OSCs and FX section just doesn't match Korg. Of course hard to tell just from this small demo, but even now it's quite obvious. To me, Moog Matriarch sounds more monopolish than this, or Vermona Performer, which has some of MP magic, but go much further... and if one wants to get a vintage analog synth tone, it's better to look elsewhere (Dreadbox, Vermona, Sequential P6/OB6, MacBeth etc... )
I owned a Mono/Poly for many years but sold it because I wanted presets for playing live.... The Mono/Poly was also one of the main motivations for getting a Matriarch since the architecture is very similar.

I agree it's hard to tell from this one video if it's got the sound right. If they haven't copied this properly then 90% of the appeal will be lost for me. Need to wait for some detailed sound examples, especially away from the classic simple sounds, and more utilizing the crossmod and fm in poly mode, because that's where the weirdness lives.

But still very exciting!

beatcleaver
Wiggling with Experience

Post by beatcleaver » Tue May 12, 2020 4:05 pm

I've also owned a mono/poly for some time. Having justed watched the demo (on a laptop admitedly) I thought it sounded decent.

I'd agree with others, the demo doesn't do it justice if this can sound like a mono/poly. It's not that the patches demoed sound bad but the mono/poly is capable of much more. One part especially missing is a workout on the filter. The mp 24db filter is really lovely. Strong but smooth.

With the four oscillators, different waveforms, the two lfos, cross mod, the arp and that filter, the mp can cover a wide range and you don't really hear that in this demo. I guess I don't play a lot of chords on the mp, maybe others are different

oudplayer
Common Wiggler

Post by oudplayer » Tue May 12, 2020 4:16 pm

That demo sounds horrible! Nothing close to the richness and timbral variety of the mono/poly I've owned and performed/recorded with for the last 22 years. But, we can't rule out "operator error" for this demo, it doesn't seem the performer figured out what to do with the cross-mod or filter settings.
Last edited by oudplayer on Tue May 12, 2020 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Tue May 12, 2020 4:16 pm

beatcleaver wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:55 pm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 2:40 pm
Any mention of the price? If it's around the price of Poly D, it's definitely worth it.
in europe, Thomann have it listed at €769 https://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_poly_d.htm
Prices are creeping up... I'm not sure I'd want it, at that price. I could get an OG for not that much more. I guess twice as much, but still, it's not like minimoog or the VC340 where it was a tenth of the price.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Tue May 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Wonder what they used for VCOs - didn't the original use SSM VCO chips? That would be something if they have reproduced those as well.

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. » Tue May 12, 2020 6:42 pm

M/P was one of my first big synths, and is still rotated onto the keyboard stands in my control room whenever its unique abilities are needed. So in other words, I know, love, and still use the M/P.

I hate to admit it, but after a cursory listen to that video I find that the sound of the Behringer has at least a superficial resemblance to the sound of the real thing.

Now, having said that, the major caveat is that the M/P is one of the most generic sounding analog synths I’ve ever owned, played, or even heard. There’s nothing unique about the basic sound in and of itself. What is unique is the featureset (the arpeggiator, the cross modulation, etc.), and that, I believe, ought to be easily imitable.

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Tue May 12, 2020 6:45 pm

oudplayer wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:16 pm
That demo sounds horrible! Nothing close to the richness and timbral variety of the mono/poly I've owned and performed/recorded with for the last 22 years. But, we can't rule out "operator error" for this demo, it doesn't seem the performer figured out what to do with the cross-mod or filter settings.

Because the internet is the be all and end all for high fidelity listening tests...

I do agree the guy didn’t know what he was doing for most of that demo. But I would want to hear it in the hands of someone who’s owned an OG for many years.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Christopher Winkels
Lord of Tweed Manor

Post by Christopher Winkels » Tue May 12, 2020 7:39 pm

oudplayer wrote:
To my ears this sounds better than the MonoPoly I used to own. Funny how we can arrive at such different conclusions.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue May 12, 2020 7:59 pm

hopefully this won’t have battery issues 🤪
TOO FAR GONE

oudplayer
Common Wiggler

Post by oudplayer » Tue May 12, 2020 9:27 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:39 pm
oudplayer wrote:
To my ears this sounds better than the MonoPoly I used to own. Funny how we can arrive at such different conclusions.
I should get around to releasing this album I recorded with nothing but mono/poly... anyone know any labels into well-produced "one-synthesizer" type concept albums? :lol: :spin: :bite:

brokensolderingiron
Common Wiggler

Post by brokensolderingiron » Tue May 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Christopher Winkels wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:39 pm
oudplayer wrote:
Yep same here.

Return to “General Gear”