Moog Mother 32/Subharmonican/DFAM, as the center pieces of a Eurorack?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

smithie
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Moog Mother 32/Subharmonican/DFAM, as the center pieces of a Eurorack?

Post by smithie » Sat May 16, 2020 6:57 pm

I was also really attracted to the M32/DFAM combo as an easy entry point into modular - a lot of folks are. I got the Eurorack Case too and populated it with a few modules to complement the Moogs. I had fun with this set-up for a bit, but after about 6 months or so, I traded the Moogs for some more Eurorack modules. I found the M32/DFAM pretty limiting pretty fast. A lot of the signal experimentation and control I became interested in trying and learning more about I just couldn't do with the Moog set-up. My current modular set-up, on the other hand, is always leading me to discover new things and try to solve musical/CV questions in a much more satisfying and exciting way.

So, I guess I'd say the Moogs are a good gateway, but don't feel bad if you end up feeling like you want to move on relatively quick. I've learned much, much more since moving on from the Moogs.

Standup
Common Wiggler

Post by Standup » Sat May 16, 2020 8:45 pm

Werkstett then Mother32 was my entry. Now I have Eurorack, maybe 175 hp worth of stuff. But I also picked up a eowave weather drones, another semi-modular, and I really want a subharmonicon. Selling modules now, by the time SH is available I will have covered the cost.

I like semi-modulars, especially with Maths, random, sequencers, and other filters to add to the sound.

FletchNYC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FletchNYC » Sat May 16, 2020 9:02 pm

Standup wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:45 pm
Werkstett then Mother32 was my entry. Now I have Eurorack, maybe 175 hp worth of stuff. But I also picked up a eowave weather drones, another semi-modular, and I really want a subharmonicon. Selling modules now, by the time SH is available I will have covered the cost.

I like semi-modulars, especially with Maths, random, sequencers, and other filters to add to the sound.
The Subharmonicon is on sale now.

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Sat May 16, 2020 9:10 pm

For what it’s worth I started with an O-Coast and SQ1 then got a Mother 32. I have a 9U rack now and still have all three, but I use the Mother 32 the least. It is fun and does that Moog sound pretty well, but I find it limiting even with the new firmware. The sequencer is not as playable and interesting to me as others, even the SQ1 which while very limited on paper, let’s me be more spontaneous and creative. With that is available now, I think I personally would have liked to have started with one of the little systems by Erica Synths or Pittsburgh Modular. I don’t have the DFAM but I really think I would like one. It’s tough - sooooo many choices.

Standup
Common Wiggler

Post by Standup » Sat May 16, 2020 9:17 pm

FletchNYC wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:02 pm

The Subharmonicon is on sale now.
Except it's sold out, and apparently mid-July is when the next batch arrives.

FletchNYC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by FletchNYC » Sun May 17, 2020 1:15 pm

Hour long jam of someone combing Mother 32/Subharmonicon/DFAM with other modules:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sun May 17, 2020 4:02 pm

evilspock wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:54 pm
FletchNYC wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:33 pm
Fedor wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 3:27 pm
To me personally the Subharmonicon looks the most interesting - mother is kinda basic, and dfam just doesn't hit that hard.
Yea, the softness of the DFAM has always been my problem with it.
LOL...uh, wuuuut?? The DFAM is the rudest, rawest, punchy, in-your-face, Nine Inch Nails/Aphex Twin-in-a-box analog sound module I've ever come across. If you haven't discovered that...you're doing it wrong. Try again!
yes it is
your DFAM if broken, bro...
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am
one of the reasons Buchla synths were originally appealing precisely because they were cheaper than moog, and you could probably trade drugs for them.

Standup
Common Wiggler

Post by Standup » Sun May 17, 2020 5:09 pm

Mysteron has been out of my case for a bit. I'm thinking it might be a good compliment for subharmonicon.

analogsplitter
Common Wiggler

Post by analogsplitter » Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 am

You might be able to emulate Subharmonicon harmonics sounds with the sync of the Moog Mother... (do the oscillators have sync input??)

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue May 19, 2020 3:43 pm

it´s fun to see videos saying "poor man" while using a bunch of modular stuff that cost 2x the price of the subharmonicon

yeah, I know...if you already have this stuff you save the moog price, but anyway, this title isn´t the nest way to say this
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am
one of the reasons Buchla synths were originally appealing precisely because they were cheaper than moog, and you could probably trade drugs for them.

Return to “General Gear”