Recommend Hardware Compressor

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

maxwellravitz
Common Wiggler

Re: Recommend Hardware Compressor

Post by maxwellravitz » Sat May 16, 2020 12:33 am

Distressor all day long

Notron fn
Common Wiggler

Post by Notron fn » Sat May 16, 2020 12:50 am

Compressor nut Ovnilabs suggests: http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/toppicks.shtml

"• For rackmount units the Rane DC24, dbx 160X/XT, Ashly CLX/DPX series, Symetrix 501, Aphex 661/651, and JBL 7110 are all excellent. They each have unique qualities that make it hard to pick one "best" one. On a tight bugdet, the new Alesis 3632 and the old dbx 166 are very good values. I am also very fond of the FMR PBC-6A, ADK CLA-1, and Joemeek MC-2, but they are half-rack modules, sometimes difficult to mount in a regular rack rig."
Insert pithy statement here

The Junglechrist
Ultra Wiggler

Post by The Junglechrist » Sat May 16, 2020 1:52 am

Elysia Xpressor 500 will get you there and also a lot more. I highly recommend this brand, the build quality is exeptional, the 500 units are not crazy expansive but are absolutly great and very versatile. Now that they also sell their little Qube box it is even easier to get the 500 ones :

https://www.elysia.com/500-series/qube/#xpressor_qube

Stazma The Junglechrist / Repeat Eater: http://stazmathejunglechrist.com/

My label Concrete Collage : https://concretecollage.bandcamp.com/

Wired Brain Video Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh4pym ... vkKp6ofzVA

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sat May 16, 2020 1:54 am

maxwellravitz wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:33 am
Distressor all day long
+1

winn3r
Learning to Wiggle

Post by winn3r » Sat May 16, 2020 3:24 pm

cackland wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:54 am
maxwellravitz wrote:
Distressor all day long
+1
= 2! (you'll want two unless you only work in mono)
Preamp collector

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat May 16, 2020 4:21 pm

winn3r wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:24 pm
cackland wrote:
maxwellravitz wrote:
Distressor all day long
+1
...the Distressor is really one to consider if you go into the upper price range - it is a staple in professional studios around the globe and plays the league with API, SSL, Manley, Chandler and other classics. A step below there is a 1/2 rack stereo comp from Rupert Neve priced just below 2k: Portico 5043.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by authorless » Sat May 16, 2020 4:55 pm

The Valley People Dynamite is really aggressive and great on drums.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sat May 16, 2020 5:01 pm

winn3r wrote:
cackland wrote:
maxwellravitz wrote:
Distressor all day long
+1
Of course. I have 8 😃

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. » Sat May 16, 2020 6:52 pm

cackland wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:01 pm
winn3r wrote:
cackland wrote:
maxwellravitz wrote:
Distressor all day long
+1
Of course. I have 8 😃
Where are you guys getting these $600 Distressors? Lol, but really, it is unfortunately one of the only compressors that I didn’t hit it off with. I feel it truly does do a million and one different things, but I found that in none of those applications is the sound better than any other comparable compressor. Out of dozens of compressors, of all different vintages and price ranges, it is one of the only ones I’d ever sold (flipped it toward an 1178 that I adore and that sees daily use in mixing).

For the op: you’ve pretty much got a semi-comprehensive list of the easily attainable hardware comp/limiters so far, but I’d recommend looking in another direction. If spicing up analog drums is what you’re looking to do, then I’d argue compression, even with a quality hardware compressor, is not the magic bullet you may be led to believe it is. I’d stick with software for a while, and look into a broader range of techniques to spice those drums up. For instance, you say you want your drums to have more “air;” no compressor is going to add significant air to a signal already lacking in it, but a thoughtfully dialed in eq, say a 12+kHz high shelf, will do exactly that. I’d look at the techniques employed by the artists you enjoy to record and mix their own drums- analog, pcm, or acoustic, all drums can interchangeably benefit from the same vocabulary of mixing techniques. I’d bet compression is just one of a myriad tools used in most cases, and often it may be employed less dramatically than many would guess.

If you’ve already gone through that process and have arrived at the conclusion that hardware compression is the only missing element, then I could probably recommend a few given narrower criteria.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sat May 16, 2020 7:58 pm

Ha... wish i could of got them for $600.

martino_
Learning to Wiggle

Post by martino_ » Sat May 16, 2020 10:30 pm

How about some of the cheap Klark Teknik clones like the KT-2A or 76-KT?

maxwellravitz
Common Wiggler

Post by maxwellravitz » Sun May 17, 2020 5:07 am

Michael O. wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:52 pm
cackland wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:01 pm
winn3r wrote:
cackland wrote:
maxwellravitz wrote:
Distressor all day long
+1
Of course. I have 8 😃
Where are you guys getting these $600 Distressors? Lol, but really, it is unfortunately one of the only compressors that I didn’t hit it off with. I feel it truly does do a million and one different things, but I found that in none of those applications is the sound better than any other comparable compressor. Out of dozens of compressors, of all different vintages and price ranges, it is one of the only ones I’d ever sold (flipped it toward an 1178 that I adore and that sees daily use in mixing).

For the op: you’ve pretty much got a semi-comprehensive list of the easily attainable hardware comp/limiters so far, but I’d recommend looking in another direction. If spicing up analog drums is what you’re looking to do, then I’d argue compression, even with a quality hardware compressor, is not the magic bullet you may be led to believe it is. I’d stick with software for a while, and look into a broader range of techniques to spice those drums up. For instance, you say you want your drums to have more “air;” no compressor is going to add significant air to a signal already lacking in it, but a thoughtfully dialed in eq, say a 12+kHz high shelf, will do exactly that. I’d look at the techniques employed by the artists you enjoy to record and mix their own drums- analog, pcm, or acoustic, all drums can interchangeably benefit from the same vocabulary of mixing techniques. I’d bet compression is just one of a myriad tools used in most cases, and often it may be employed less dramatically than many would guess.

If you’ve already gone through that process and have arrived at the conclusion that hardware compression is the only missing element, then I could probably recommend a few given narrower criteria.
oh wait, i missed the OP saying 600... but i've seen distressors going in the 900 range, not a crazy stretch up.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun May 17, 2020 5:39 am

I’ve seen used Distressors hit closer to the $1k mark. If you’re in or near a major metropolis you can stalk local listings.

Doesn’t the AH have a built-in compressor? And the ability to side-chain?

I’ve only heard good things about the Bugbrand stereo compressor.
TOO FAR GONE

Trachea
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Trachea » Sun May 17, 2020 11:56 am

If you want to get the hardware compressor experience on the cheap, the MXR M76/87 compressors (they are the same circuit with different names) are 1176 limiter clones in pedal form. Even cheaper is the Boss LMB-3 Bass Limiter which has a Beringer clone (cheapest?) BLE-400. They say "bass", but are viable for all instruments.

Keltie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Keltie » Mon May 18, 2020 7:39 pm

Aphex Compellor is very nice.

No love for Drawmer? I have a 221 that I love, great for tracking guitars with a bit more sustain, and even the cheapo MX30 is ok. I’ve had a go on the 1968 too, and it’s lush.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Mon May 18, 2020 10:27 pm

orangehexagon wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:17 am

Can you recommend a good hardware compressor with a bit of color to beaf up my drummachines / synths (especially my DRM-1)?

I would ideally like really snappy punch and air from a compressor. I'm not so interested in the "wooly" variety.

I should note that I'm looking to spend below $1k and ideally below $600. I might go the used/pre-owned route as well.

Thanks!
Are you really sure you want the compressor to add some color and what character of color were you thinking? I think the color thing is a bit overstated unless you go with good clones of classic designs or master bus type processors that have color controls but they are expensive. And if you get one compressor you are stuck with that compressor's coloration.

Something to consider is that a lot of discussion on compressors is focused on acoustic instrument processing because that's what most studios do most of the time. For example on acoustic drums fast compressors are needed to control wildly varying transients, but with electronic drums and samples you can often use slower attack speeds to let the transients through and that will give you punchy without pumping. Exceptions to the rule of course.

I think in the lower price range you are better off going with a clean dual VCA compressor which you can put on a stereo bus or experiment with different processing pathways on mono signals. You can do the color adding ITB if you need. It's just a thought.

I use a really cheap dbx 266xs on my drum bus. Excellent value in my opinion, it's dirt cheap, flexible, clean, two compressors with stereo linking, has expander and gate on each channel, the auto attack and release control is program based and I can't improve on the results it gives. I honestly think if this was wearing another brand people on Gearslutz would be slathering about it. I have several of the famous Waves plugins and none of them sound as good on the drum bus as this, at least to my fallible ears. I'm sure there are sound engineers who work wonders ITB but I'm not a sound engineer.

I have my eyes on Tegeler for the master bus. I think Tegeler products could also be sold for a lot more.

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:00 pm

i think the old Overstayer "FET" comp was exactly made for what the OP wants.
i have the overstayer "VCA" from that past line btw.
What i saw is their todays product line entirely different now. ........and way more expensive.

(at OP) Since you are in the US, maybe you can find an old fet comp from overstayer 2nd hand ?
it was new in the 5-600$ area, iirc. (mono, iirc)
it was made to add some "colour" "on drums"* (* iirc)
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Tue May 19, 2020 6:33 am

I still think software still might be the way to go. Ever try UBK-1 from Kush? Even if you end up with hardware, you want to own this plugin. Saturation & compression with some attitude.

https://thehouseofkush.com/products/ubk-1

Return to “General Gear”