Budget Ambient / Techno Drumbox

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Budget Ambient / Techno Drumbox

Post by Slothrop » Thu May 14, 2020 2:47 pm

Hi Wigglers!

I'm after suggestions for a drumbox to turn my hardware ambient / drone setup into a hardware ambient / minimal techno setup.

I'd like something with basic groovebox-style sequencing for improvising with. Soundwise I'd be more interested in deep thuddy clicky boomy stuff rather than anything particularly harsh or aggressive - Basic Channel and early ambient Aphex would be good starting points style-wise. Ideally I'd like something with multiple outs or onboard effects so I can mess with the hats and claps while keeping the kick clean.

I'm tempted to just get the Volca Beats because it costs very little and does most of what I want. No effects or multi outs, but in a pinch I could just get a second one (or a Volca Kick or Volca Drum) to sync with it for less than the price of most other standalone drum machines (edit: or mod it or whatever). Is there anything else that I should be looking at instead? I'm fairly flexible on budget, but not keen to spend money for the sake of it...

Antlerface
Common Wiggler

Re: Budget Ambient / Techno Drumbox

Post by Antlerface » Thu May 14, 2020 3:00 pm

Take a look at the Elektron Model Samples. It does the things you want.
doomlove.

My Eurorack

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Thu May 14, 2020 3:07 pm

Antlerface wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:00 pm
Take a look at the Elektron Model Samples. It does the things you want.
Or Model Cycles.

What's your current hardware? To cover a bit of everything, I would suggest you get a Korg SQ-1 or a Beatstep Pro and then some Volcas to the taste.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Thu May 14, 2020 3:13 pm

Volca Sample or Elektron Model:Samples offer a lot. Arturia Drumbrute Impact if analogue is a prerequisite.

Importing samples on it requires patience, but once it's loaded up the Volca Sample is such a fun device.

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Thu May 14, 2020 3:21 pm

synth.void wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 3:07 pm
What's your current hardware?
A couple of contact mics and a bunch of delay / gitch / looper pedals, basically. And I'm very much about just adding a pulse under all that rather than trying to build a complete techno rig - the examples of Aphex and Basic Channel were to give an idea of the sort of drum sound that I'm after raher than the exact sort of track I'd like to try to make - so comprehensive sequencing isn't really a big deal.

Will definitely have a look at the Model:Things, thanks for that!

roger
Wiggling with Experience

Post by roger » Thu May 14, 2020 5:52 pm

Electribe R in whatever MK version you see fit.

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Thu May 14, 2020 8:33 pm

Leploop has a new MultiCasa that is very nice and might be of interest.

Scroll Down

https://www.nazzilla.com/lep-loop/

Muffs thread,

viewtopic.php?t=174447

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu May 14, 2020 8:49 pm

roger wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:52 pm
ER-1s slay. The EMX is super digital & clicky too. The budget Elektron boxes tick plenty of boxes and are both pretty flexible.
TOO FAR GONE

LameAim
Wiggling with Experience

Post by LameAim » Fri May 15, 2020 1:05 am

I’ll echo those who have suggested the Elektron Model series. They both pack a lot of power at their price point, just have to decide whether you’d prefer samples or synthesis.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Fri May 15, 2020 5:42 am

Nord drum 2 or 3 all day . You’ll need a sequencer though . Sounds way better than the elektrons I’ve had.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri May 15, 2020 6:19 am

..Posted in wrong thread..

Licudi
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Licudi » Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 am

Slothrop wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:47 pm
I'm tempted to just get the Volca Beats because it costs very little and does most of what I want.
Although everyone complains about its snare, the main problem I had with the Volca Beats is that the kick tuning won't go low enough.

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Fri May 15, 2020 12:32 pm

Thanks all! Have been thinking about this a bit.

I think generally prefer synthesis over samples because I've found in the past that when I use sampled drums I tend to get bogged down in worrying about whether I could be using "better" samples, and I'd rather just have a basic drum synth with a couple of parameters to tweak.

Model:Cycles looks like an amazing bit of gear, but I've checked a whole load of Youtube videos and while objectively it sounds great, subjectively it doesn't sound like the thing that I'd be excited to mix in to my setup.

I'm going to keep thinking about the Drumbrute Impact for a bit, but all in all, I'm thinking I'll probably end up with the Volca. Thanks for all the input, though!

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri May 15, 2020 1:41 pm

Forgot to mention the Behringer RD-8, with the added features it's more than a straight 808 clone.

CRMVMT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by CRMVMT » Sat May 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Slothrop wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:32 pm
Model:Cycles looks like an amazing bit of gear, but I've checked a whole load of Youtube videos and while objectively it sounds great, subjectively it doesn't sound like the thing that I'd be excited to mix in to my setup.
As an owner, I can definitely tell you that Cycles is in nature very spacious, high freq tingly thing. It can do some thumpy basses and kicks tho but hi hats etc. are like like glass bells.

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Sun May 17, 2020 11:50 am

LXR
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Sun May 17, 2020 2:09 pm

Get the volca drum, rather than the beats. It’s a 6 voice percussion synthesiser that can produce all sorts of sounds, as each voice is a completely configurable synth.
It’s a bit tricky to program but is so versatile. I’ve used it to produce synth pads, for example!

Tumulishroomaroom
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Tumulishroomaroom » Sun May 17, 2020 2:33 pm

I'd suggest the original Tanzbär. Seems perfect for minimal techno. Individual outs, nice sequencer and not too pricey since the mk2 came out. It's a proper drum machine.

Mind Flayer
Common Wiggler

Post by Mind Flayer » Sun May 17, 2020 3:09 pm

Maybe the Roland TR-8? Not the 8s, which is more expensive, but the OG Tr8. You can find them cheap used every day at Guitar Center or wherever, many of which already have the 707 and 606 expansions loaded. So, you get the 808, 909, 707, 606, 727 all in one box. Can do multiple outs (I think up to 4?) Yes, it's ugly, but it sounds good.

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Sun May 17, 2020 9:18 pm

If you can live without the multiple outputs, the ik uno drum is the best budget solution by far.
For a bit more, maybe sampler, like elektron samples.
jomox xbase09 can be found for reasonable money if you are lucky but not going to be budget.

Chopper
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Mon May 18, 2020 7:57 am

roger wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:52 pm
THIS.

Lemmy
Common Wiggler

Post by Lemmy » Mon May 18, 2020 8:21 am

gruebleengourd wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:18 pm
If you can live without the multiple outputs, the ik uno drum is the best budget solution by far.
This is actually a brilliant bit of kit. The six analog drums on board sound really good (unlike some of the more expensive competition) and there are six more slots for sampled drums. Also there is a very comprehensive midi implementation so you can automate pitch changes, decay lengths, kit changes etc. from your DAW as well as sequence patterns. At the same time the onboard sequencing is a lot of fun, esp. stutter and roll.
The drum circuits are Roland-esque but BD1 has quite a bit of additional flexibility.
It's also very compact. And you can run it off batteries if you want.

I'm not a fan of the capacitive touch keys and the lack of separate outs, but at the price...

It sounds great which is the bottom line.

Slothrop
Common Wiggler

Post by Slothrop » Mon May 18, 2020 8:27 am

Thanks again everyone - I actually got an order for the Volca Beats in at some point on Saturday night. I might expand / upgrade later, though, if I work with it for a while and start to feel like its limitations are holding me back.

The Volca Drum looks really cool - I think it's probably an objectively better and more interesting thing than the Beats, but the Beats is more in line with the sort of sounds that I'm after at the moment. I could imagine getting one to run in sync with the Beats, part-way solving the multi-outs problem and expanding the sound palette. The Uno Drum looks rather good, too. And the Electribe was definitely a consideration. I can see this turning into a collection if I'm not careful...

synth.void
Common Wiggler

Post by synth.void » Mon May 25, 2020 5:53 pm

Slothrop wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:27 am
Thanks again everyone - I actually got an order for the Volca Beats in at some point on Saturday night. I might expand / upgrade later, though, if I work with it for a while and start to feel like its limitations are holding me back.

The Volca Drum looks really cool - I think it's probably an objectively better and more interesting thing than the Beats, but the Beats is more in line with the sort of sounds that I'm after at the moment. I could imagine getting one to run in sync with the Beats, part-way solving the multi-outs problem and expanding the sound palette. The Uno Drum looks rather good, too. And the Electribe was definitely a consideration. I can see this turning into a collection if I'm not careful...
Congrats! Looks like a smart choice. If you like the format, there’s a plenty of room to expand.

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdaddyaz » Mon May 25, 2020 7:33 pm

Haha you got the one thing no one suggested. I think the big takeaway is that there are a lot of fantastic options that will get the job done, and not cost an arm and a leg. Have fun with the drums.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

Return to “General Gear”