Best modern wavetable synth.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

abandonist
Wiggling with Experience

Best modern wavetable synth.

Post by abandonist » Fri May 15, 2020 1:30 pm

There’s been a lot of new wavetable synths over the last few years, and it seems to be catching on as a flagship product for some companies. We’ve got the hydrasynth, the the KORG wavestate, the Modal Argon 8, etc. which one comes out on top for you, and why? Personally, I dove in with the hydrasynth. Seemed like the best feature to performance ratio, but I’m interested in y’all’s take.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Re: Best modern wavetable synth.

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri May 15, 2020 1:40 pm

Hydrasynth is excellent plus great VFM, if I had the money I'd go for a Waldorf Quantum.

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Fri May 15, 2020 3:54 pm

Quantum, Hydrasynth, Argon 8, Virus Ti come to mind. Quantum is my favorite, followed very closely by the Hydrasynth.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri May 15, 2020 5:52 pm

abandonist wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:30 pm
There’s been a lot of new wavetable synths over the last few years, and it seems to be catching on as a flagship product for some companies. We’ve got the hydrasynth, the the KORG wavestate, the Modal Argon 8, etc. which one comes out on top for you, and why? Personally, I dove in with the hydrasynth. Seemed like the best feature to performance ratio, but I’m interested in y’all’s take.
wavestate doesn´t count as a wavetable synth, it´s wavesequencing, a different kind of synthesis with different results

I like the Argon 8 mainly for its audio...I don´t like the Hydra audio, but this is 100% personal...hydra is the most featured of both, but I like the UI of the Argon 8 and I think it have enough to makes you happy

about the the old ones: Virus implementation are not the most ergonomic as a wavetable synth...an editor is highly reccomended
Microwave XT still have its own mojo...sounds great even today....same for the OG Microwave
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:51 am
one of the reasons Buchla synths were originally appealing precisely because they were cheaper than moog, and you could probably trade drugs for them.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat May 16, 2020 6:09 am

Pro 3 has wavetables , but only on the third Osc , but I’d bet it’s the quickest to get around on.

Don’t forget the old Blofeld!

The Modal I had sounded superb , I wonder how close the Argon 8 sounds to the 002 “
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Sat May 16, 2020 6:17 am

Serum.

:sstorm:

(soz - didnt say hardware :P )

Systemj69
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Systemj69 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:23 am

Flame Mäander surely one of the best..IMHO also the most original of them.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat May 16, 2020 7:50 am

I have the Hydrasynth, TI2, and the Novation Peak. The Hydrasynth is definitely the star of the show when it comes to the wavetables IMO. I had the Argon8 but found it had too many character flaws to hold on to. It sounded nice enough but I didn’t feel like it had enough variation. It suffered from low outputs, a limited amount of wavetables, and a short Release envelope. Im slowly saving up for the Quantum, but mostly for the particle engine and kernal oscillators.
TOO FAR GONE

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Sat May 16, 2020 8:37 am

anselmi wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:52 pm

I like the Argon 8 mainly for its audio...I don´t like the Hydra audio, but this is 100% personal...
It's interesting you say this, as I really wanted to like my Hydra keyboard, but I just don't care for the sound of it. I am probably going to sell it.

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:12 am

+1 for Argon8. Although I do share the complaint of 'quieter audio' sometimes (though usually related to the fx engines; an easy fix, 'cuz I have more varied outboard stuff), I lie its selection of tables. No way comparable to Hydra (my problem is 'too much selection', if that's actually a thing!), but I'm digging the sound. De-rezzing it a bit gives me the flavor of old-skool PPG I was looking for; and though I know that's limiting it, that was my reason for buying it (NOT as an all-rounder, but specifically for its 'digitalness').

And, though it's 'just' a Fatar, I very much like the keybed feel (and size: 3oct is big enough for basslines and leads; and MIDIed to a big boy, sounds great!).

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 am

hippo1 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:12 am
+1 for Argon8. ..... And, though it's 'just' a Fatar, I very much like the keybed feel (and size: 3oct is big enough for basslines and leads; and MIDIed to a big boy, sounds great!).
... "just" a FATAR? You mean only the finest synth action keybed on the market? Well, as long as it's the TP/9 or perhaps the TP/9S. That's the very same keybed that Synthesizers.Com sells, I have one ... at one point I had two! Excellent keybeds ... used on Kurzweil synths as well as many other high quality synths.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Thu May 21, 2020 10:58 am

subjectively (is there any other way really..):

Argon 8 - nice smooth sound, very musical. think its tone would complement the more metallic and agrro waldorfs. some questionable design decisions - way too low output

Virus TI - darker, rounder wavetable sound. but if looking for wavetable pads that are warmish and very voxy, with complement of terrific effects, look no further. i have bunch of waldorfs, ppg etc,, but it was a suprise to me how nice and different take on wavetable sounds TI has. still havent picked on up, but fully intend to.

Hydrasound - great possibilities but eard nothing i liked. tweezy fizzy tone.

Peak - like it better than Hydra. dunno when you chooise wavetables on osc section, it tends to sound samey. analog filters/vca/drive help. great that you can use wavetable as modulator in lo freq range. i woldnt perhaps buy it strictly on account of wavetable capabilities, but whole package is rather nice. and i love hybrids.

MicroFreak - i like its sound the best of the lot. the SVF filter, the wavetabling, all other digi algorithms. except its monophonic and para in certain modes. if they ever make a true poly version, with more modulation possibilities, IMHO that would be absolute winner wavetable synth.

Flame Mäander - interesting. i really liked the sound of their quad wt oscillator in euro. and now paired with multiband filter.. still looking into it.

FS EU: Rene 1, Synthtech E370, MXR MF403 (pm me)
WTB EU: Jupiter 4 BA662, Octave Cat SRM (2040)

Return to “General Gear”