Best modern wavetable synth.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

abandonist
Wiggling with Experience

Best modern wavetable synth.

Post by abandonist » Fri May 15, 2020 1:30 pm

There’s been a lot of new wavetable synths over the last few years, and it seems to be catching on as a flagship product for some companies. We’ve got the hydrasynth, the the KORG wavestate, the Modal Argon 8, etc. which one comes out on top for you, and why? Personally, I dove in with the hydrasynth. Seemed like the best feature to performance ratio, but I’m interested in y’all’s take.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Re: Best modern wavetable synth.

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri May 15, 2020 1:40 pm

Hydrasynth is excellent plus great VFM, if I had the money I'd go for a Waldorf Quantum.

mutierend
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mutierend » Fri May 15, 2020 3:54 pm

Quantum, Hydrasynth, Argon 8, Virus Ti come to mind. Quantum is my favorite, followed very closely by the Hydrasynth.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri May 15, 2020 5:52 pm

abandonist wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:30 pm
There’s been a lot of new wavetable synths over the last few years, and it seems to be catching on as a flagship product for some companies. We’ve got the hydrasynth, the the KORG wavestate, the Modal Argon 8, etc. which one comes out on top for you, and why? Personally, I dove in with the hydrasynth. Seemed like the best feature to performance ratio, but I’m interested in y’all’s take.
wavestate doesn´t count as a wavetable synth, it´s wavesequencing, a different kind of synthesis with different results

I like the Argon 8 mainly for its audio...I don´t like the Hydra audio, but this is 100% personal...hydra is the most featured of both, but I like the UI of the Argon 8 and I think it have enough to makes you happy

about the the old ones: Virus implementation are not the most ergonomic as a wavetable synth...an editor is highly reccomended
Microwave XT still have its own mojo...sounds great even today....same for the OG Microwave

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat May 16, 2020 6:09 am

Pro 3 has wavetables , but only on the third Osc , but I’d bet it’s the quickest to get around on.

Don’t forget the old Blofeld!

The Modal I had sounded superb , I wonder how close the Argon 8 sounds to the 002 “
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wuff_miggler » Sat May 16, 2020 6:17 am

Serum.

:sstorm:

(soz - didnt say hardware :P )

Systemj69
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Systemj69 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:23 am

Flame Mäander surely one of the best..IMHO also the most original of them.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat May 16, 2020 7:50 am

I have the Hydrasynth, TI2, and the Novation Peak. The Hydrasynth is definitely the star of the show when it comes to the wavetables IMO. I had the Argon8 but found it had too many character flaws to hold on to. It sounded nice enough but I didn’t feel like it had enough variation. It suffered from low outputs, a limited amount of wavetables, and a short Release envelope. Im slowly saving up for the Quantum, but mostly for the particle engine and kernal oscillators.
TOO FAR GONE

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Sat May 16, 2020 8:37 am

anselmi wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:52 pm

I like the Argon 8 mainly for its audio...I don´t like the Hydra audio, but this is 100% personal...
It's interesting you say this, as I really wanted to like my Hydra keyboard, but I just don't care for the sound of it. I am probably going to sell it.

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:12 am

+1 for Argon8. Although I do share the complaint of 'quieter audio' sometimes (though usually related to the fx engines; an easy fix, 'cuz I have more varied outboard stuff), I lie its selection of tables. No way comparable to Hydra (my problem is 'too much selection', if that's actually a thing!), but I'm digging the sound. De-rezzing it a bit gives me the flavor of old-skool PPG I was looking for; and though I know that's limiting it, that was my reason for buying it (NOT as an all-rounder, but specifically for its 'digitalness').

And, though it's 'just' a Fatar, I very much like the keybed feel (and size: 3oct is big enough for basslines and leads; and MIDIed to a big boy, sounds great!).

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 am

hippo1 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:12 am
+1 for Argon8. ..... And, though it's 'just' a Fatar, I very much like the keybed feel (and size: 3oct is big enough for basslines and leads; and MIDIed to a big boy, sounds great!).
... "just" a FATAR? You mean only the finest synth action keybed on the market? Well, as long as it's the TP/9 or perhaps the TP/9S. That's the very same keybed that Synthesizers.Com sells, I have one ... at one point I had two! Excellent keybeds ... used on Kurzweil synths as well as many other high quality synths.
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Thu May 21, 2020 10:58 am

subjectively (is there any other way really..):

Argon 8 - nice smooth sound, very musical. think its tone would complement the more metallic and agrro waldorfs. some questionable design decisions - way too low output

Virus TI - darker, rounder wavetable sound. but if looking for wavetable pads that are warmish and very voxy, with complement of terrific effects, look no further. i have bunch of waldorfs, ppg etc,, but it was a suprise to me how nice and different take on wavetable sounds TI has. still havent picked on up, but fully intend to.

Hydrasound - great possibilities but eard nothing i liked. tweezy fizzy tone.

Peak - like it better than Hydra. dunno when you chooise wavetables on osc section, it tends to sound samey. analog filters/vca/drive help. great that you can use wavetable as modulator in lo freq range. i woldnt perhaps buy it strictly on account of wavetable capabilities, but whole package is rather nice. and i love hybrids.

MicroFreak - i like its sound the best of the lot. the SVF filter, the wavetabling, all other digi algorithms. except its monophonic and para in certain modes. if they ever make a true poly version, with more modulation possibilities, IMHO that would be absolute winner wavetable synth.

Flame Mäander - interesting. i really liked the sound of their quad wt oscillator in euro. and now paired with multiband filter.. still looking into it.

FS EU: Rene 1, Synthtech E370, MXR MF403 (pm me)
WTB EU: Jupiter 4 BA662, Octave Cat SRM (2040)

Return to “General Gear”