Moog Mother 32+ Moog dfam, but what modules should i pair these with?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Adilrpn
Learning to Wiggle

Moog Mother 32+ Moog dfam, but what modules should i pair these with?

Post by Adilrpn » Sat May 16, 2020 1:53 am

Hi, i just recently began my journey into the modular world, im really fresh to all the terms of modular synthezis, so please bare with me.
My first 2 semi-modular synths are Moog Mother 32 and a Mother dfam, and now i want to know what kind of modules i can/should pair with these beautiful components, im thinking in the size of a 3 tier rack from moog, so not a full-scale eurorack yet.
So with both economy and size limited, what are the needs?
I make ambient/techno/minimal/dubtechno, and i want to be able to switch between them without being limited by the wrong modules.
I hope you understand my question, really grateful for any help. :hail:

wechard
Common Wiggler

Re: Moog Mother 32+ Moog dfam, but what modules should i pair these with?

Post by wechard » Sat May 16, 2020 5:47 am

I’d say use them for a while, and every time you find yourself needing or wanting to do something that they can’t seem to do on their own, make a note of it. After a few weeks or months of that, you’ll have a list of the missing features that matter to your own use case, and it will be easier to pick the best modules for filling those gaps.

Adilrpn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Adilrpn » Sat May 16, 2020 10:14 am

wechard wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:47 am
I’d say use them for a while, and every time you find yourself needing or wanting to do something that they can’t seem to do on their own, make a note of it. After a few weeks or months of that, you’ll have a list of the missing features that matter to your own use case, and it will be easier to pick the best modules for filling those gaps.
Thank you, i've already noticed that a delay and reverb effect will be the first priority, then i'll begin to look for more complex modules with a broader area of capabilities.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Sat May 16, 2020 12:28 pm

Behringer Neutron has some utilities, 2 oscillators, a delay and more. But most of all a lot of in- and outputs so that you can pick and mix with your other semi modulars. After playing with adding that in I'd also want a Maths, a module with a bunch of LFO's, a Pamela's New Workout, that reverb you were missing and a Keystep.

seta666
Common Wiggler

Post by seta666 » Sat May 16, 2020 1:32 pm

For DFAM I recommend MI Peaks (2× reset lfos perfect for drums) and Mutant Brain if you want it to talk to a daw or play it via midi. For utilities I recommend MI kinks and links, you will get a lot of features in little space. Good thing about MI is there are lots of second hand oportunities.
I also own and recommend getting a VCA ( MI Veils in my case)and I plan to get a small mixer for mixing cvs to free Maths from those duties

The whole thing can be had for around 500€ if you shop around

Adilrpn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Adilrpn » Sun May 17, 2020 9:12 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:28 pm
Behringer Neutron has some utilities, 2 oscillators, a delay and more. But most of all a lot of in- and outputs so that you can pick and mix with your other semi modulars. After playing with adding that in I'd also want a Maths, a module with a bunch of LFO's, a Pamela's New Workout, that reverb you were missing and a Keystep.
Thanks alot, i've been looking on maths and Pamela's new workout lately.
Luckily i've had the luck to borrow a friends Ventris reverb and a Nemesis delay, so i can get comfortable with atleast some extensive effects to see what i actally need the most.
Going to check out the Behringer Neutron! That one has passed over my head.
Also bought keystep this weekend by trading a painting of mine for one, so looking forward to having a midi keyboard for the mother 👍

Adilrpn
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Adilrpn » Sun May 17, 2020 9:14 am

seta666 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:32 pm
For DFAM I recommend MI Peaks (2× reset lfos perfect for drums) and Mutant Brain if you want it to talk to a daw or play it via midi. For utilities I recommend MI kinks and links, you will get a lot of features in little space. Good thing about MI is there are lots of second hand oportunities.
I also own and recommend getting a VCA ( MI Veils in my case)and I plan to get a small mixer for mixing cvs to free Maths from those duties

The whole thing can be had for around 500€ if you shop around

Super good tips, def going to check out the MI modules, i've used softubes modular and all the MI modules have just baffled me, but i didnt use the peaks or veils, so im adding all these to the check out list 😎

Unit: E
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Unit: E » Mon May 25, 2020 10:20 pm

I am at the same point as you! I have the Mother-32 and DFAM, as well as a few Roland boutiques, Roland A300PRO midi Keyboard and an Akai MPC X. I'm looking to add the 3rd tier to the MOOG stack and utilize the 60hp case that fits there. I am looking for minimal setup that adds the right elements. Here is what I came up with on modular grid...

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1223183

Return to “General Gear”