19" Rackmount Buffered Multiple Equivalent?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Ceri JC
Learning to Wiggle

19" Rackmount Buffered Multiple Equivalent?

Post by Ceri JC » Sat May 16, 2020 2:41 am

My workflow involves sending one of the busses of the main desk, to a sampler. I use a lot of old hardware samplers and it's a real pain to need to rewire them all the time (even with a patch panel). What I'd ideally like is a 19" rackable unit, that is the equivalent of the Buffered Multiple you commonly get in modular. This way, I could use one mixer bus as "Send to all Samplers".

Doesn't need to be anything fancy/switchable, this'd be 'wire up and forget' for me. One channel of input (ideally taking balanced XLR and balanced 1/4" stereo pair in), cleanly duplicated across 8,12 or 16 stereo pairs of balanced 1/4" outputs. It doesn't even need to have an attenuator or amplifier on it.

I find it really hard to believe such a thing does not exist, but after lots of searching, still can't find even one product, or even a DIY kit that seems to do this. :eek:

Can anyone give me a steer, or do I need to break out the soldering irons and start adapting Eurorack designs to a new PSU and line level that I'm unfamiliar with? :confused:

authorless
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: 19" Rackmount Buffered Multiple Equivalent?

Post by authorless » Sat May 16, 2020 7:52 am

It just seems like something a patch bay would be much better suited since it would offer much better flexibility, so there probably isn't anything like that on the market. I don't know if there are any line splitters or mic splitters that do more than a couple outputs per input.
"Wait a month and buy from a fellow wiggler who's desperate for new modules." - Johnisfaster

"It's oscillators are so precise and lifeless it's actually a digital modelling analog synth." - nadafarms

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Sat May 16, 2020 8:27 am

Something like this connected to a patchbay?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -amplifier

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Sat May 16, 2020 1:22 pm

A matrix mixer might do the job, something like this: https://www.thomann.de/gb/art_mx225_dis ... _mixer.htm

Michael O.
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Michael O. » Sat May 16, 2020 6:56 pm

mmp wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:27 am
Something like this connected to a patchbay?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -amplifier
This is a good lead, op is definitely describing a distribution amp. If it were fewer channels, a transformer based passive splitter, or even a simple passive patchbay mult, would work. As would just wiring the sampler to a regilar patchbay, which would only require a single patch cable to be re-patches when necessary.

Ceri JC
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ceri JC » Mon May 18, 2020 3:19 pm

Thanks folks DA216S looks like it fits the bill. Had never heard the term "Distribution Amp" before. Another chunk of ignorance knocked off. Thank you!

Return to “General Gear”