Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Post Reply
User avatar
luupp
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:04 am
Location: Sweden

Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by luupp » Sat May 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Hi all,

So I've seen the Folktek Resonant Garden, and I have been feeling something very unusual that I don't think I felt much before. I love the idea so much of a machine, that when you look at it it traditionally doesn't look like a synthesizer. No keyboard, kind of unsure circuits. The whole idea is very mesmerizing for me, of the vibrations and all that. I feel like this is a machine that I would love to get out and play with it from bed even on the darkest of the days.

So I tried to do some more research into synths that can be considered on similar, experimental level but I'm having some trouble finding them. Especially the ones that are being sold...

Some I have found and are playing in similar territory are:

Folktek Nano Garden
Folktek Mescaline
Kabbalistic Synthesizer
(nearly anything from) SubtleNoiseMaker
Perhaps something that is similar in functionality as a small euro drone system, like the Erica Fusion Drone II
Krusnek Forest

Anyone has any more suggestions? Would be great if they would actually still be available today...

Cheers!

User avatar
colossus
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:13 pm
Location: Western Mass.

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by colossus » Sat May 16, 2020 6:05 pm

I’m guessing you’re not looking for strictly electroacoustic? In that case - Soma Lyra? Anything Ciat Lonbarde or Lorre Mill? Once you’re looking for something like the Erica drone, why not just a small euro or 4u rig? I reckon you’d be quite happy with a single Serge row if the Erica strikes your fancy, and you could always process some external piezo sources.
Last edited by colossus on Sat May 16, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3385
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:22 pm
Location: SF bay area

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by Dave Peck » Sat May 16, 2020 6:07 pm

Have you seen / heard this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lTYPvArbGo

abandonist
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:17 am
Location: Portland

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by abandonist » Sat May 16, 2020 7:59 pm

The apprehension engine is a holy grail, but at 10k I’ll never see one. I do have some brain plans to diy something like it.

User avatar
wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:11 pm
Location: Disney, Australia

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by wuff_miggler » Sat May 16, 2020 8:10 pm

emailing Bart Hopkin - about the back isues of Experimental Musical Instrments might be a good lead for anyone interestd in the apprehension engine or similar:

http://barthopkin.com/books-cds/experim ... on-cd-rom/

incredible stuff in there that blurs the lines between sculpture and instrument! absolutely love it

User avatar
onthelees
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by onthelees » Sun May 17, 2020 1:27 am

Most of what the Apprehension Engine does have built myself over the years in a variety of instruments for my own amusement. I also did sound for theatre and film and acquired all sorts of interesting sound-producing devices. Childrens's toys, bits of metal, springs, anything that can be bowed, stroked, or stuck for sound. I once used an oven rack- it sounded amazing. One suggestion is to get some contact mics and a cheap hollow-core door from Home Depot or The Rebuilding Center on Mississippi Ave since you are in PDX. Attach various object - the door will act as a resonator, and the contact mic(s) will allow you to amplify or record the results which can be quite dramatic.

User avatar
wuff_miggler
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:11 pm
Location: Disney, Australia

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by wuff_miggler » Sun May 17, 2020 2:18 am

^ brilliant - thanks onthelees!! i was thinking about having to make soundboards - great solution!

EDIT: $25 door!! haha i think you may have spurred on the most epic work from home/lockdown project ever.

Image

User avatar
gelabs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 2:27 pm

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by gelabs » Sun May 17, 2020 3:48 am

How about the Microphonic Soundbox ?
The planet was, I realized, one of the spots before my eyes.
sc - bc - yt - mg

User avatar
lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1131
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: UK

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by lud » Sun May 17, 2020 4:43 am

Ciat lonbarde cocoquantus is a unique and awesome synth/sampler instrument

User avatar
luupp
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:04 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by luupp » Sun May 17, 2020 5:38 am

colossus wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:05 pm
I’m guessing you’re not looking for strictly electroacoustic? In that case - Soma Lyra? Anything Ciat Lonbarde or Lorre Mill? Once you’re looking for something like the Erica drone, why not just a small euro or 4u rig? I reckon you’d be quite happy with a single Serge row if the Erica strikes your fancy, and you could always process some external piezo sources.
Yes those are exactly the things I'm looking for! Soma Lyra looks wicked. I knew about Ciat Lonbarde but the I find the colors so off putting :D Like some weird children toy...

As for the small euro rig, I prefer to keep an instrument one company for it's purpose, and I already have my euro setup and promised myself not to go overboard with getting another case etc. as it's kind of a drug :)

User avatar
luupp
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:04 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by luupp » Sun May 17, 2020 5:38 am

Dave Peck wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:07 pm
Have you seen / heard this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lTYPvArbGo
2:16 sounds wicked :) David Fincher movie soundtrack done!

User avatar
luupp
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:04 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by luupp » Sun May 17, 2020 5:41 am

gelabs wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:48 am
How about the Microphonic Soundbox ?
Amazing, and very reachable price too! Thank you

User avatar
Lux A Turner
Common Wiggler
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:29 am
Location: Kent, UK

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by Lux A Turner » Sun May 17, 2020 7:49 am

luupp wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:41 am
gelabs wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:48 am
How about the Microphonic Soundbox ?
Amazing, and very reachable price too! Thank you
It's been on my radar for a while.
It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack (a work in progress)

User avatar
lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1131
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: UK

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by lud » Sun May 17, 2020 8:29 am

luupp wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:38 am
colossus wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:05 pm
I’m guessing you’re not looking for strictly electroacoustic? In that case - Soma Lyra? Anything Ciat Lonbarde or Lorre Mill? Once you’re looking for something like the Erica drone, why not just a small euro or 4u rig? I reckon you’d be quite happy with a single Serge row if the Erica strikes your fancy, and you could always process some external piezo sources.
Yes those are exactly the things I'm looking for! Soma Lyra looks wicked. I knew about Ciat Lonbarde but the I find the colors so off putting :D Like some weird children toy...
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I love colourful synth jack layouts - really help with understanding the jack functionality. And the folktek designs don't do anything for me at all...

User avatar
julien
Common Wiggler
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:44 am
Location: France

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by julien » Mon May 18, 2020 7:05 am

I've built my own Folktek Illuminists clone: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=162867&p=3088564&h ... k#p3088564
Let me know if you're interested, I can build one for you

User avatar
luupp
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:04 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by luupp » Mon May 18, 2020 12:37 pm

julien wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:05 am
I've built my own Folktek Illuminists clone: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=162867&p=3088564&h ... k#p3088564
Let me know if you're interested, I can build one for you
Now we are talking business. Straight to DM!

User avatar
onthelees
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by onthelees » Thu May 21, 2020 10:18 pm

wuff_miggler wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:18 am
^ brilliant - thanks onthelees!! i was thinking about having to make soundboards - great solution!

EDIT: $25 door!! haha i think you may have spurred on the most epic work from home/lockdown project ever.

Image
Nice! Keep us updated on what this turns into

HZR
Common Wiggler
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:51 am
Location: Germany

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by HZR » Thu May 21, 2020 11:54 pm

luupp wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:38 am
colossus wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:05 pm
I’m guessing you’re not looking for strictly electroacoustic? In that case - Soma Lyra? Anything Ciat Lonbarde or Lorre Mill? Once you’re looking for something like the Erica drone, why not just a small euro or 4u rig? I reckon you’d be quite happy with a single Serge row if the Erica strikes your fancy, and you could always process some external piezo sources.
Yes those are exactly the things I'm looking for! Soma Lyra looks wicked. I knew about Ciat Lonbarde but the I find the colors so off putting :D Like some weird children toy...

As for the small euro rig, I prefer to keep an instrument one company for it's purpose, and I already have my euro setup and promised myself not to go overboard with getting another case etc. as it's kind of a drug :)
There are also modules from Iaskul F Mobenthey (Ciat Lonbarde) and Folktek that are really good for special sounds

User avatar
Severed head
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:24 am

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by Severed head » Fri May 22, 2020 12:13 am

onthelees wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:27 am
Childrens's toys, bits of metal, springs, anything that can be bowed, stroked, or stuck for sound. I once used an oven rack- it sounded amazing. One suggestion is to get some contact mics and a cheap hollow-core door from Home Depot or The Rebuilding Center on Mississippi Ave since you are in PDX. Attach various object - the door will act as a resonator, and the contact mic(s) will allow you to amplify or record the results which can be quite dramatic.
Experimental Art Music 101
This should’ve all went with having to be said. For nealy everyone born after 1913.
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

User avatar
bobbylandry
Common Wiggler
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:16 pm
Location: Chattanooga, TN / Cambridge, MA
Contact:

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by bobbylandry » Sat May 23, 2020 8:35 am

onthelees wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:27 am
Most of what the Apprehension Engine does have built myself over the years in a variety of instruments for my own amusement. I also did sound for theatre and film and acquired all sorts of interesting sound-producing devices. Childrens's toys, bits of metal, springs, anything that can be bowed, stroked, or stuck for sound. I once used an oven rack- it sounded amazing. One suggestion is to get some contact mics and a cheap hollow-core door from Home Depot or The Rebuilding Center on Mississippi Ave since you are in PDX. Attach various object - the door will act as a resonator, and the contact mic(s) will allow you to amplify or record the results which can be quite dramatic.
On the oven rack tip I used a sheet tray as a snare once.


User avatar
onthelees
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:41 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by onthelees » Sun May 24, 2020 9:58 pm

Severed head wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:13 am
onthelees wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:27 am
Childrens's toys, bits of metal, springs, anything that can be bowed, stroked, or stuck for sound. I once used an oven rack- it sounded amazing. One suggestion is to get some contact mics and a cheap hollow-core door from Home Depot or The Rebuilding Center on Mississippi Ave since you are in PDX. Attach various object - the door will act as a resonator, and the contact mic(s) will allow you to amplify or record the results which can be quite dramatic.
Experimental Art Music 101
This should’ve all went with having to be said. For nealy everyone born after 1913.
There will always be beginners. I like to encourage them.

User avatar
Severed head
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:24 am

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by Severed head » Sun May 24, 2020 11:59 pm

onthelees wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:58 pm
Severed head wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:13 am
onthelees wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:27 am
Childrens's toys, bits of metal, springs, anything that can be bowed, stroked, or stuck for sound. I once used an oven rack- it sounded amazing. One suggestion is to get some contact mics and a cheap hollow-core door from Home Depot or The Rebuilding Center on Mississippi Ave since you are in PDX. Attach various object - the door will act as a resonator, and the contact mic(s) will allow you to amplify or record the results which can be quite dramatic.
Experimental Art Music 101
This should’ve all went with having to be said. For nealy everyone born after 1913.
There will always be beginners. I like to encourage them.
Absolutely!
I didn’t mean it as a slam or anything. Just the contact mic thing seems to be the obvious I guess.

I never listened to regular music before getting heavily involved in weirdo shit, so when I think about music/sound design or things like that and my beginnings it was like, oh that sound is interesting how can I capture and reproduce it. Ah microphone ah cassettes oh that’s feeding back. Ah contact microphone,

I forgot most people who are interested in sound as something different than “music” are coming from a musical instrument background
WTB: modules, MA35 filter.
:help:

User avatar
dragulasbruder
Common Wiggler
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:57 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Looking for unusal machines, like Folktek Resonant Garden

Post by dragulasbruder » Mon May 25, 2020 12:18 am

abandonist wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:59 pm
at 10k I’ll never see one.
Anyone who pays that much for something they can build for under $100 in components you can get at a hardware store and ebay deserves to get ripped off that bad. Throw in another bill for a cheap bow and a brick of rosin and you're off to the races. While $200 is nothing to sniff at for the poorest among us, it's 2% of the stated price of the Apprehension Engine.

EDIT: ok, there's a little more luthiery involved with v2.0 than I thought--but you can still get way into the ballpark, and upgrade your instrument (do they make bolt-on mandolin necks?) as you see fit.

Here's a short article by Eric Leonardson, who is arguably the "inventor" of the springboard, or at least the person who's done the most to popularize it (although that view might be skewed because I'm from Chicago, too). Might give you some good ideas about how to build your own. The only thing stopping me is laziness and my tiny apartment.

https://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/pd ... 2007.17.17
Now offering sliding-scale SYNTHESIS and AUDIO PRODUCTION LESSONS during the pandemic--please PM for details!

WTB: XAOC Sewastopol V1, DIY Benjolin

MY MUSIC:
www.soundcloud.com/wish-fulfillment

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”