Do you miss patch names on synths that can't display them?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Do you miss patch names on synths that can't display them?

Post by ObsoleteModular » Sun May 17, 2020 4:40 am

Hello

Do you miss patch names on synths (or other devices) that don't have the ability to display them? Obviously the synth needs to have patches, I don't mean some old monosynth. Recent examples include OB-6, Prophet-6 etc.

Jim

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Do you miss patch names on synths that can't display them?

Post by 3hands » Sun May 17, 2020 7:27 am

I love the preset names on my JX3p. I wish more synths had them!!
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Mind Flayer
Common Wiggler

Post by Mind Flayer » Sun May 17, 2020 8:19 am

Yes! I love naming my own patches. They’re like a micro-journal. I’ll often name them for things that are happening in my life at the time, or after something in a book I am reading. Then months later I’ll revisit the patch and remember, oh yeah, remember that phrase I lifted from the Lord of the Rings that I was reading a while back. One of things I didn’t like about the OB6, but love about my Rev2 and System-8.

gloamtrotter
Common Wiggler

Post by gloamtrotter » Sun May 17, 2020 8:38 am

Nope, and when I do name them it's always the quickest, most generic option like Init 1, Init 2 etc. I almost always craft a new patch for whatever I'm doing anyway so it's not worth spending time on for me.

Just me
Has enough VCA's

Post by Just me » Sun May 17, 2020 8:43 am

My modular isn't capable of names. Neither were the Minimoog or 2600. My JX3P had weird names for factory but no way for user. So used to no names. Then I started using Ensoniq and the names could get out of hand.
If I have water in my ear, is it safe for me to listen to electronic music?

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun May 17, 2020 8:46 am

Just me wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:43 am
My modular isn't capable of names. Neither were the Minimoog or 2600. My JX3P had weird names for factory but no way for user. So used to no names. Then I started using Ensoniq and the names could get out of hand.
Filter Flow and Pulsar are my 2 faves on the 3p
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Sun May 17, 2020 10:09 am

What vexes me is recent synths that have the capacity for patch names but don't bother to implement them. I'm looking at you Black Corporation - dumbass move to produce a 3K synth that's lacking this basic capability
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sun May 17, 2020 10:19 am

Basically no. The one synth I have with no naming (at least on the unit itself) is the MatrixBrute. It has a small number of presets compared to modern synths so it’s not too cumbersome. I’m getting rid of my Rev2 but I deliberately decided not to name patches because I was sick of coming up with names like Solar Trumpet Fanfare or Wobbly Wash 2. But that can make things tricky to find things if you have a lot of banks of presets.

But I’m starting to appreciate naming and categorizing now that I have the Moog One which stores like a gajillion presets.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Mon May 18, 2020 3:37 am

Yes , this was annoying on the pro 3 when not wanting to save over a patch you wanted, there is a compare button, but you can’t always remember the patch, especially if external modulation was involved.

Thankfully they improved it with an update and you can now read the patch name yr going to save over.
So yes I think it’s important in some instances.

With that said, on my OB-6 I saved patches in groups of 10 per project, so that helped, and there is always the sound tower editor to reference where you are , even the free version will let you do that.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

minimalist
Common Wiggler

Post by minimalist » Mon May 18, 2020 6:31 am

Mind Flayer wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:19 am
Yes! I love naming my own patches. They’re like a micro-journal. I’ll often name them for things that are happening in my life at the time, or after something in a book I am reading. Then months later I’ll revisit the patch and remember, oh yeah, remember that phrase I lifted from the Lord of the Rings that I was reading a while back. One of things I didn’t like about the OB6, but love about my Rev2 and System-8.
Same experience for me. I usually name my projects like this and if I use any equipment that allows patch naming in those projects, the patches will have matching names to reflect the project they are in. I also add my initials to patches so I can tell them from the presets so don't accidentally overwrite them.

I'm planning on buying a power-mono later this year and patch naming (and programme change) will be an important feature.

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Mon May 18, 2020 7:24 am

Interesting responses

The reason I ask is ... I did this fun little project over the weekend and I was wondering whether to take it further.

Using an Arduino to display Sequential/DSI OB-6 patch names

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Mon May 18, 2020 7:39 am

ObsoleteModular wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:24 am
take it further.
Please do!

ObsoleteModular
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ObsoleteModular » Mon May 18, 2020 7:43 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:39 am
ObsoleteModular wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:24 am
take it further.
Please do!
I'm tempted! It's very early days. It falls over at the drop of a hat with the dodgy code I knocked up over the weekend :mrgreen: but it's a proof of concept and I know how to nail it down.

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Mon May 18, 2020 9:17 am

Depends on the complexity of the synth I guess. A Juno-60 was my only keyboard for several years, and I didn't mind not having patch names. Then I got a Nord Lead 1, and that one bugged me a bit. Not a lot though. Now I have a Nord Wave and I'm very glad I can name patches since I often use samples, which increases the variety of patches.

dml
Common Wiggler

Post by dml » Thu May 21, 2020 10:24 am

Many patches on my Xpander are named 'Oberheim' because that's the name assigned when you initialize a patch! On my Voyager lots of patches read 'Preset ## Default PROG'. It takes me awhile to come up with patch names. Not a big deal, I suppose, on instruments with not a lot of patch locations (128). "A rose, by any other name..."
Best,

dml

Return to “General Gear”