Ensoniq ASR-10 rackmount is very hot

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

thunderheart530
Common Wiggler

Ensoniq ASR-10 rackmount is very hot

Post by thunderheart530 » Mon May 18, 2020 2:27 am

Does anyone who own's an Ensoniq ASR-10 have a solution for the amount of heat this unit produces? the front panel around the transformer gets very hot after a few hours and they decided not to put any vents on the top. I talked to a tech and he said if I tried to add a fan it would most likely add noise to the signal. Has anyone bothered to do this?
WTB/Trade Modcan A series or A series format modules.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Ensoniq ASR-10 rackmount is very hot

Post by nangu » Mon May 18, 2020 2:43 am

Following. The keyboard version was my largest hammer in the mid to late 90s. Got a great deal on a rack a couple years ago, but it has button issues. I’ll be looking at possibilities when I have it open again.

The obvious solution would be to drill some strategically placed holes to aid convection. Probably lots of tiny holes- to deter spiders and dust from invading the chassis. I hate adding acoustically noisy fans to things, so I don’t care whether a fan would be electrically noisy or not.

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Mon May 18, 2020 3:18 pm

The bad news is that ASR-10 racks that run to hot are prone to crash, and there is not a lot you can do too cool it beside drill holes and install a fan. I had enough trouble with it that I downgraded to an EPS16+. It will be somewhat better if you do not install it in a rack with other units adjacent to it.

thunderheart530
Common Wiggler

Post by thunderheart530 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:36 pm

gruebleengourd wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:18 pm
The bad news is that ASR-10 racks that run to hot are prone to crash, and there is not a lot you can do too cool it beside drill holes and install a fan. I had enough trouble with it that I downgraded to an EPS16+. It will be somewhat better if you do not install it in a rack with other units adjacent to it.
Pulling it out of the rack has definitely helped. I also put it in a spot where I can access it with ease as I have been using it so much lately.

About drilling holes, Maybe taking the top to a shop and having it professionally cut might be the best option? Also putting some sort of foam inside to keep dust from getting it.

nangu
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nangu » Tue May 19, 2020 2:08 pm

I think foam would block convection and act as an insulator. If I do decide to drill holes, I have adequate tools to do a good job.

I’m planning to continue using the open-frame rack it’s in now- I haven’t noticed excessive heat, but will be keeping a closer eye on things..

My rack is similar to this, but I think it cost less:
https://www.samash.com/hosa-rmt-254-19- ... rmt254xx-p

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Tue May 19, 2020 8:46 pm

How much free rack space do you leave above and below your ASR10?

Could you leave 1 U above and below it, and buy some vented 1U panels to cover the gaps?

thunderheart530
Common Wiggler

Post by thunderheart530 » Wed May 20, 2020 1:54 am

Blairio wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:46 pm
How much free rack space do you leave above and below your ASR10?

Could you leave 1 U above and below it, and buy some vented 1U panels to cover the gaps?
I actually decided to separate the unit from the rack for now. I'm going to look for someone who can modify the top around town.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Gear”