Feedback is your friend.

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Feedback is your friend.

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon May 18, 2020 9:45 am

If you send the headphones output back into the external input of a Minimoog, you set a feedback path and many strange and aggressive sounds will be the actual output of the Minimoog.

Well, I tried that with a Roland SH-09 and I was instantly mesmerised by the sounds coming out of this synth.

dml
Common Wiggler

Re: Feedback is your friend.

Post by dml » Mon May 18, 2020 10:25 am

Fab! Feedback is the bomb! If you've got a modular system spend some time creating feedback loops!
Best,

dml

suboptimal
A Towering Mediocrity

Post by suboptimal » Mon May 18, 2020 10:32 am

This is why I got a matrix mixer back into my system.

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon May 18, 2020 11:57 am

dml wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 10:25 am
Fab! Feedback is the bomb! If you've got a modular system spend some time creating feedback loops!
Yeah, almost every module with audio input can be be the source of feedback chaos/paradise. :tu:

However, not every module or synth seems to act the same way. I mentioned the old Minimoog trick, because it is widely known for rendering sonically satisfying results, but I was very surprised with the SH-09. Just: wow!!!
On the other side, the external input of the new Behringer TD-3 doesn’t seem to get you to the same nice results, even if it is usable, as I explored in other of my videos.

3hands
Ultra Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Mon May 18, 2020 12:16 pm

I love doing this with the MS20. You can get some (even more) properly aggressive snarls out of it.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Mon May 18, 2020 2:48 pm

A tip: Have an inverter handy when doing these feedback experiments and try the feedback with and without inverting it. This can sometimes make the difference between a feedback path not doing anything interesting, and doing something awesome. For example, when feeding back the output of a 12dB/octave lowpass filter. Most 12dB lowpass filters have an inverted output, so adding an inverter essentially UN-inverts it and can give your 12dB filter a huge boomy boost when applying feedback.

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Mon May 18, 2020 3:10 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:48 pm
A tip: Have an inverter handy when doing these feedback experiments and try the feedback with and without inverting it. This can sometimes make the difference between a feedback path not doing anything interesting, and doing something awesome. For example, when feeding back the output of a 12dB/octave lowpass filter. Most 12dB lowpass filters have an inverted output, so adding an inverter essentially UN-inverts it and can give your 12dB filter a huge boomy boost when applying feedback.
Yeah and also strange vowel-like sounds, like on my video clip here:

Sorry for the unwanted self promotion, but I think it’s easier to listen to sounds than to describe them. :-)

m0rb1d
Filtersweep Abuser

Post by m0rb1d » Mon May 18, 2020 3:44 pm

Heck yeah. I recently did this with a Tama Techstar and put a fuzz pedal in the feedback loop.

Return to “General Gear”