Behringer UB-Xa

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Behringer UB-Xa

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri May 22, 2020 12:14 am

Is the UB-Xa still coming along?
Published on the 8th of May 2019.
Last edited by Voltcontrol on Fri May 22, 2020 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Behringer UB-Xa

Post by bitflip » Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 am

Not much to chew on sonically there, but does at least give an idea of where the hardware is headed.
The magic question will probably be, does it do the rate-per-voice portamento talked about on the CAT thread. Or to clarify, that the voices do not portamento all at the exact same rate.

LTodd
Common Wiggler

Post by LTodd » Fri May 22, 2020 12:25 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:14 am
The UB-Xa seems to be coming along.
Published on the 8th of May:
8th of May 2019.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Fri May 22, 2020 12:33 am

:lolspew:

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri May 22, 2020 12:36 am

LTodd wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:25 am
Voltcontrol wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:14 am
The UB-Xa seems to be coming along.
Published on the 8th of May:
8th of May 2019.
D'oh!
Post amended.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri May 22, 2020 12:37 am

bitflip wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 am
Not much to chew on sonically there, but does at least give an idea of where the hardware is headed.
The magic question will probably be, does it do the rate-per-voice portamento talked about on the CAT thread. Or to clarify, that the voices do not portamento all at the exact same rate.
Same for the Monopoly.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Fri May 22, 2020 12:41 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:37 am
bitflip wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 am
Same for the Monopoly.

oops, actually that's the thread i meant :bop:

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri May 22, 2020 6:56 am

Since the price of their synths is creeping up, how cheap would this have to be to get over, say, a used OB-6 or OB-6 module? I'd be on the fence about buying it new if it was over 1,500 and probably at all if it was over 1,800. The service you get with behringer is never going to be on part with what you get from Dave Smith and CO, and that has to factor in at some point. When I was living in the Bay Area, it was even simpler, but yeah, I'd be worried about investing in something that I have to trust Behringer's service for. I say this as someone who gladly bought a not particularly cheap piece of kit from them (the VC-340) and owns three of their mono clones.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Fri May 22, 2020 7:07 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:56 am
Since the price of their synths is creeping up, how cheap would this have to be to get over, say, a used OB-6 or OB-6 module? I'd be on the fence about buying it new if it was over 1,500 and probably at all if it was over 1,800. The service you get with behringer is never going to be on part with what you get from Dave Smith and CO, and that has to factor in at some point. When I was living in the Bay Area, it was even simpler, but yeah, I'd be worried about investing in something that I have to trust Behringer's service for. I say this as someone who gladly bought a not particularly cheap piece of kit from them (the VC-340) and owns three of their mono clones.
What do you mean by creeping up prices? Aren't all of their synths under $1200 new? I'm hoping the UB-Xa will be at least under $1000, how is the build quality on the VC-340? I own an MS-1 and I can't complain.

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri May 22, 2020 7:18 am

dadRabbit wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:07 am
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
What do you mean by creeping up prices? Aren't all of their synths under $1200 new? I'm hoping the UB-Xa will be at least under $1000, how is the build quality on the VC-340? I own an MS-1 and I can't complain.
They seem to market their synths & semi modulars in three distinct price brackets that have been pretty consistent so far?

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri May 22, 2020 8:22 am

Voltcontrol wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:18 am
dadRabbit wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
They seem to market their synths & semi modulars in three distinct price brackets that have been pretty consistent so far?
VC-340 was 600 when it came out, now it’s close to 700, Crave was 200, now it’s 250. Poly D is nearly 700 for not much more than a 250 model d clone. Seems like prices are rising a bit. VC-340 build quality was solid. My worry is that things inevitably fail, not because they are built badly, but because that’s just how it is. Anytime I’ve had issue with Dave Smith stuff, even old stuff like the prophet 08, it was a $25 flat fee to get stuff fixed, they sent me free knobs when mine broke, etc.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri May 22, 2020 8:58 am

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:22 am
VC-340 was 600 when it came out, now it’s close to 700, Crave was 200, now it’s 250. Poly D is nearly 700 for not much more than a 250 model d clone. Seems like prices are rising a bit. VC-340 build quality was solid. My worry is that things inevitably fail, not because they are built badly, but because that’s just how it is. Anytime I’ve had issue with Dave Smith stuff, even old stuff like the prophet 08, it was a $25 flat fee to get stuff fixed, they sent me free knobs when mine broke, etc.
Gotcha. Price increase over time seems to differ per region then. Totally get proximity of a manufacturer having merit.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Fri May 22, 2020 8:59 am

:despair: I suspect some of the price rises are a consequence of attractive introductory pricing, and some due to covid-19 complications.

And now that you mention it, is there some price difference movement across regions? Seems like some things in the usa are much cheaper by using Thomann, in spite of the greater shipping cost.

dadRabbit
Common Wiggler

Post by dadRabbit » Fri May 22, 2020 9:39 am

bitflip wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:59 am
:despair: I suspect some of the price rises are a consequence of attractive introductory pricing, and some due to covid-19 complications.

And now that you mention it, is there some price difference movement across regions? Seems like some things in the usa are much cheaper by using Thomann, in spite of the greater shipping cost.
Damn, you're right. You can get a new odyssey on thomann for about $100 cheaper than everywhere else, also the I'm pretty sure it's the only place to order jaspers stands shipped to the US.

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Fri May 22, 2020 9:44 am

dadRabbit wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:39 am
bitflip wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:59 am

Damn, you're right. You can get a new odyssey on thomann for about $100 cheaper than everywhere else, also the I'm pretty sure it's the only place to order jaspers stands shipped to the US.
Jaspers is what made me look over there. Some brands there seem to be much less expensive across the board, or for the vast majority of items at least. Some of the Waldorf and Behringer price deltas are :woah:

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdaddyaz » Fri May 22, 2020 10:14 am

That would be pre Covid US tariff (tax on imported goods for those that didnt take an economics course) hikes. The real question is what's up with Moog's price hikes. Probably the same thing, as much of the internal components now come from overseas.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Fri May 22, 2020 10:47 am

I saw they started to clone the old Roland rack stuff under the name of Klark Teknik...I hope the SVC-350 vocoder come next...I like the VC-340 a lot but it´s too big for my needs

werock
Ultra Wiggler

Post by werock » Fri May 22, 2020 11:18 am

jdaddyaz wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:14 am
That would be pre Covid US tariff (tax on imported goods for those that didnt take an economics course) hikes. The real question is what's up with Moog's price hikes. Probably the same thing, as much of the internal components now come from overseas.
They've gone up a bit in the UK too, but to put it in context a friend who works in the music business told me the cost of shipping a pallet of records/CDs has gone up by 10x since the start of the pandemic. So releases have been put back while they wait for shipping costs to come down.
But if shipping costs have gone up that much it's no surprise that the price of goods shipped from the other side of the world is affected.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 pm

dadRabbit wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Given the Poly_D and the MonoPoly (which are essentially monos w/o preset storage) are both priced at $700 I can't see how they can produce a full 8 voice programmeable poly (with 5 octave keybed) for only $300 more. Just have to wait and see...
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Fri May 22, 2020 1:59 pm

flashheart wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 pm
dadRabbit wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Given the Poly_D and the MonoPoly (which are essentially monos w/o preset storage) are both priced at $700 I can't see how they can produce a full 8 voice programmeable poly (with 5 octave keybed) for only $300 more. Just have to wait and see...
See that’s what I mean, whereas if you had asked me months ago I would have been like “they did a 3500 minimoog for 300, a 6000 vp-330 for 600, and a juno clone with more voices for 600. Shouldn’t be a problem.” But with the Poly D, I’m a bit suspicious. Who would buy one if you could get a real VCO poly for 1,000?
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Fri May 22, 2020 5:25 pm

People who want a Minimoog sound and not an Oberheim sound.

The Poly D's price is about differentiating it from the Model D, I'd guess - for $500 no one would ever buy the Model D.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 am

everydaycurry wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:25 pm

The Poly D's price is about differentiating it from the Model D, I'd guess - for $500 no one would ever buy the Model D.
Yeah, not buying that argument. I definitely would take a clone of a classic instrument to a wacky paraphonic thing that behringer came up with, especially for 250 less.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Sat May 23, 2020 8:31 pm

coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 am
everydaycurry wrote:

Yeah, not buying that argument. I definitely would take a clone of a classic instrument to a wacky paraphonic thing that behringer came up with, especially for 250 less.
So if you can have the Model D for $299 - no keyboard, module only - or a Poly D for $500, you're taking the Model D every time?

Suspicious that most wouldn't feel that way.

coolshirtdotjpg
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by coolshirtdotjpg » Sun May 24, 2020 7:04 am

everydaycurry wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:31 pm
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 am
everydaycurry wrote:

So if you can have the Model D for $299 - no keyboard, module only - or a Poly D for $500, you're taking the Model D every time?

Suspicious that most wouldn't feel that way.
So far we have you and me, so not sure where you are getting most people? A few reasons I think you are wrong: 1. it's not an exact clone or a polyphonic model d, it's a four voice paraphonic synth, people want to spend money on clones that sound exactly like the original 2. Behringer standalone choruses (see their juno 60 clone) have not been, let me put this politely, well received. 3. Paraphonic synths are not popular, see all the "LOL more like Para D, get it parody!!" comments in the Poly D thread. 4. It costs twice is much, takes up way more space and suffers from build quality issues with the keyboard. I can use my Pro 2 or Prophet 6 keyboard, or really any decent keyboard I own with the model d clone.
New video for my track
Opening The Portal

bitflip
Ultra Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Sun May 24, 2020 9:50 am

flashheart wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:30 pm
I would think it's possible, given that most of the outlay is on things that you need for any realization (enclosure, keybed, psu, main board) and then the designer can scale the number of voices to suit. Which i'm sure is an oversimplification, but logical, and makes me wonder why certain manufacturers don't leave open the option for more than 4 or 6 voices :roll:

And almost forgot :doh: the Deepmind 12 with 4 octave keybed is just over $800. So it can prolly be done.

Return to “General Gear”