DrumKid - aleatoric (random) drum machine

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

mattybrad
Learning to Wiggle

Re: DrumKid - aleatoric (random) drum machine

Post by mattybrad » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:51 am

Noodle Twister wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:35 am
Ah ok. Maybe I did something wrong then. Tried a novation circuit and 16n faderbank and got no response from drumkid. I didn't upload the 'blink' code to drumkid as a test though so maybe I messed up. The switch was definitely in arduino mode I remember.
Probably worth trying "blink" first just to check the upload process is working. If you're not sure whether you've got the new firmware, trying pressing A+B+D simultaneously - all the LEDs should light up and the beat should be randomised. If that doesn't happen, the firmware probably hasn't updated. Also remember to set the switch back from "Arduino" to "MIDI" once you're done uploading. Drop me a message if you're still having problems :)
Creator of DrumKid

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:18 am

Just checked drop turning off sound to left and right and the A B D randomise function, both work so I'm pretty sure the upload worked. Switch is in midi position but still no response from drumkid with 16n as a controller. Haven't tried circuit yet, but in case it's relevant I'm using a 3.5mm to midi adaptor for both circuit and 16n.

mattybrad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattybrad » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:34 am

Noodle Twister wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:18 am
Just checked drop turning off sound to left and right and the A B D randomise function, both work so I'm pretty sure the upload worked. Switch is in midi position but still no response from drumkid with 16n as a controller. Haven't tried circuit yet, but in case it's relevant I'm using a 3.5mm to midi adaptor for both circuit and 16n.
Hmm. Is DrumKid responding to any other MIDI input? Like drone note input or clock? Haven't tried a converter before but no reason it shouldn't work I guess. Only other thing I can think of is whether you're sending the right CC numbers? It should respond on any channel but only from CC numbers 16 to 31.
Creator of DrumKid

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:41 am

Yeah clock from circuit working as expected to control tempo of drumkid and sounds great with drums from both units.

mattybrad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattybrad » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:59 am

Noodle Twister wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:41 am
Yeah clock from circuit working as expected to control tempo of drumkid and sounds great with drums from both units.
Okay well that's good news, sounds like the signal is getting through fine. Might be worth messing around with the settings on your controllers and sending different CC messages. Sending CC 20 (pitch) or CC 24 (drone) is probably the easiest for testing, since you'll hear a very obvious difference.
Creator of DrumKid

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:33 am

Just thought I would give it a test for the sake of it, a separate controller isn't that important really. One thing i'm tempted to do though is use a little white paint marker on the pots, the pots are great quality but i'm missing my indicators :)

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:15 pm

Mine worked but I did run the blink code first and had to change the ports.

mattybrad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattybrad » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:21 pm

Spent today testing out a way of loading custom samples, should be ready next week!
Creator of DrumKid

PLNB
Common Wiggler

Post by PLNB » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:44 pm

Having a blast on the ND3 with the Drumkid driving. Got updated within 10 minutes. Love the onboard channel reassignment! Plenty of grooves to explore. Looking forward to future tweaks to the beat selection, and (me) getting CC automation dialed in.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:27 am

Noodle Twister wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:33 am
One thing i'm tempted to do though is use a little white paint marker on the pots, the pots are great quality but i'm missing my indicators :)
Ha! I thought the same to tried to put some Tipex on mine yesterday. Fucked it up completely. Looks dreadful.

According to the spec sheet the pot shafts are 6mm so I've ordered some slim 6mm Davies clone knobs from Thonk. Hopefully they will just slip over the shafts and hide the mess I made. Might even look good too.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:04 am

mattybrad wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:21 pm
Spent today testing out a way of loading custom samples, should be ready next week!
Awesome! That really elevates the value of the device. Thanks for working on it

mattybrad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattybrad » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:36 am

Umcorps wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:27 am
Ha! I thought the same to tried to put some Tipex on mine yesterday. Fucked it up completely. Looks dreadful.

According to the spec sheet the pot shafts are 6mm so I've ordered some slim 6mm Davies clone knobs from Thonk. Hopefully they will just slip over the shafts and hide the mess I made. Might even look good too.
Haha I had not anticipated that this would be a common problem! Wonder whether wax crayon would do a tidier job? http://hackedgadgets.com/2011/02/21/usi ... -plastics/ Will experiment some time! Hope the 6mm knobs fit.
Creator of DrumKid

mattybrad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattybrad » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:47 am

Actually half-decent results!
IMG_20200710_144442368.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Creator of DrumKid

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:51 am

:bang:

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:20 pm

I used a white uni paint marker extra fine.
Trick is - if the slots are too narrow for the paint marker tip, be ready with cloth to wipe excess from the top side in one swipe. Normally these narrow tips just fit in the slot if they are unmarked alpha pots.

This is just one coat, I will do another for a bolder result.

Original article here

https://www.rakits.co.uk/2017/07/30/jaz ... -easy-way/
drumkidpaint1.png
Crayon works too, I remember that from D&D dice haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:13 am

A little afternoon jam with the Drumkid/Nord combo. Nice and gentle

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:44 pm

Umcorps wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:13 am

Enjoyed listening and watching. Thanks for sharing.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:51 pm

Mine just arrived. Within 2mins I had sounds that inspired me to write something. I'm into harsher industrial vibe stuff and that Crush function rocks.
It's nice when you grab something new without trying it out in person first, and it fits you like a glove.
I'll post an update when I've really dived deep.

mattybrad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattybrad » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:55 am

Umcorps wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:13 am
Really nice vibe, brilliant
Creator of DrumKid

mattybrad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattybrad » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:58 am

Technologear? wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:51 pm
Mine just arrived. Within 2mins I had sounds that inspired me to write something. I'm into harsher industrial vibe stuff and that Crush function rocks.
It's nice when you grab something new without trying it out in person first, and it fits you like a glove.
I'll post an update when I've really dived deep.
Awesome, really happy to hear that! Yeah the crush function is my favourite, figured I might as well embrace the lo-fi nature of the thing
Creator of DrumKid

mattybrad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattybrad » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:12 am

DrumKid firmware V1.2 is now available. Same process as before for updating - check the updated manual for details: https://mattbradshawdesign.com/projects/drumkid/

This update really only has one new feature, which is the ability to upload custom samples. I've made an online tool which hopefully makes the process relatively painless - you upload your WAV files to the web page, and it gives you a download link for a ZIP file containing Arduino-format audio files which you just copy into your firmware folder.
Creator of DrumKid

Umcorps
Will patch for food

Post by Umcorps » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:47 am

[bbvideo][

mattybrad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattybrad » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:16 am

Quick but important note for anyone who installed the new firmware (1.2) last week:

There was an error in the code which caused the audio output to sound horrible, but only once you've turned DrumKid on and off (hence why I didn't notice it until just now!). I've now fixed this issue, but have kept the version as 1.2 because it was such a tiny change.

Please re-download and re-upload the version 1.2 firmware if you are experiencing issues. Thanks!
Creator of DrumKid

Noodle Twister
Common Wiggler

Post by Noodle Twister » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:05 am

What is the maximum total size of the 5 samples that can be uploaded ? Does each sample size need to fall within certain limits ?

mattybrad
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattybrad » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:28 am

Noodle Twister wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:05 am
What is the maximum total size of the 5 samples that can be uploaded ? Does each sample size need to fall within certain limits ?
As far as I can tell, the samples need to add up to less than 0.9 seconds (approx, maybe slightly more). The default kick drum takes up about half of that on its own, so if you can find a shorter kick drum sample that might be a good start! You can also effectively disable one (or more) of the channels by setting it to "silent" on the web page if you want to save some space for bigger samples.

I'm planning to add a feature soon where you can reduce the sample rate of any of the samples. Halving the sample rate of each sample, for instance, would give you double the total sample storage space (at the expense of sound quality). This update probably won't go live for a week or so, but you could fake it by uploading double-speed (i.e. half-length) samples and just changing the pitch control in DrumKid.

Hope that helps!
Creator of DrumKid

Return to “General Gear”