Studio PC Build Guide

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Studio PC Build Guide

Post by The_hitcher » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:17 pm

I've been on the same laptop for ages and it's not dead, but a new machine should be purchased. I know you can save by building your own, but I don't know enough about computers to deal with what's compatible with what and what parts are decent and what ones are no bueno. Anyone build their own or have a trusty resource to start? It seems a lot of people build their own for gaming which would likely have some different requirements.

The_hitcher
Common Wiggler

Re: Studio PC Build Guide

Post by The_hitcher » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:33 pm

I guess guidance* would have been better wording.

steviet
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steviet » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:36 pm

I am a massive geek, I've built quite a few in my day. This thread looks like a great resource:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11 ... -progress/

I should mention that this mostly centers around "Gaming" builds.

For a "musical" usage, you should focus on a good CPU, and lots of RAM. The more RAM, the better. Don't worry about a GPU, if you aren't going to game or do video editing it's not going to do much for you.

Also, a great site for checking compatibility, parts, prices etc...

https://pcpartpicker.com/

Best of luck!!
Soundcloud
Website - DIY/Euro/Gear Blog updated every Sunday

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:46 pm

If you plan to position the new PC anywhere near your mixing station, pay close attention to the issue of acoustic noise, especially from the various fans inside the PC. And the annoying thing is you cannot rely on the fan manufacturer's noise spec for meaningful info about the noise. They all vary in the way they specify it, and often won't tell you anything about how it was measured (fan in open air? Installed in a PC? What mic distance? etc.).

Also, a simple loudness spec in dB is not the most relevant info for this issue anyway, you also need to be concerned about the TYPE of noise. Broadband filtered white/pink noise is generally okay, but if there is any discernible pitched tone, like a 'hum' or 'whine', it can really interfere with critical listening even if the tone is at a volume far below the noise level of another fan that only produces pink noise. You really have to hear it and decide if it's going to work.

But there are some good starting points - I have worked on some projects that required extremely low acoustic noise from some rack mounted audio gear that included some fans, and the best results I got were using fans from Noctua. But even then, you need to pay attention to the way the fan gets mounted in the chassis, any baffling for directing airflow, etc., or you can make even a quiet fan start howling.

Benj
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Benj » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:27 am

Check out molten musics audio pc guide lots of good info here

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:30 am

Robin Vincent the Molten Music Technology guy did a whole series of videos recently on building an audio PC. I believe he does or has built computers as a business so probably worth a look. Its on youtube.....It was just posted above.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:37 am

A decent gpu can help if you use Ableton, as I found out on my Macmini with crappy intergrated graphics.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:47 am

I'm building a PC from scratch .... wooden case and all ... here's a link to the project thread .....

LINK = viewtopic.php?f=30&t=208414

The project got stalled last year due to medical issues, but I'll be back on it pretty soon.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. as of Dec 8th 2020 on a break for a bit .. contact me via bamco60@hotmail.com if needed.
WELCOME TO 2021 .. THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

a100user
All the gear, no idea!

Post by a100user » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:57 pm

Wing a Mac user I have no plans to build a PC but having started watching the Molten video above I really got sucked in a watched the whole series. Fascinating.
I'm looking for nothing at this moment in time

m:o
Common Wiggler

Post by m:o » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:59 am

Hi,

i built 3 studio Pcs over the years with both, cost and audio capabilites in mind. For the Hardware, it mostly comes down to the Mainboard/Chipset, CPU and audio interface interplay (to minimize things like DPC latency, and good driver stability). I always used actual Asus Mainboards in their midrange field. For the CPU i always went for Intel with integrated grafics, as i dont play games and the integrated grafic drivers were perfectly suited and efficient, instead of graficdriver hassle with 3rd party graficcards. I went always for powerfull midrange Cpus which had to cope with the next 6 years.
I use RME audio interfaces since 20 years and can recommend them 100%. the play fine with windows and have best reputation. (you can safely buy them used for a good price).

For more related infos i recommend this Thread (which needs some time to scan thru:-):
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... hread.html

mmp
Veteran Wiggler

Post by mmp » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:56 am

I would suggest checking how many cores your DAW is actually using in a large session. As has been said, not all DAWS are efficiently multicore capable and there are aspects of audio production that are serial in nature and work against parallelism. That will give you a better idea of what CPU to choose. If the DAW is essentially using one thread for most everything, then single thread performance ratings will be your best guide. If the DAW is using multiple cores in a balanced way, overall multicore performance should be your guide. There is no need to buy an 18 core expensive processor if your main application is only going to use four threads.

Estes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Estes » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:13 pm

Hop Pole did a few videos on the pc build subject - some of them you might find in the pc vs. mac playlist. However this is the newest:

I built my first pc after 10 years mac. Super happy with every decision of the components (based on the Hop Pole videos). Also I was able to keep the budget quite low for now and whenever I need to - I just buy more ram or whatever. But yess it took me weeks until I decided which parts I take and yess if you never built a pc before, make sure to get some help. But so far Im very very happy with the result.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:01 pm

I run a late 2014 macmini with Reaper. All good. The reason I mention the DAW is that what software you intend to use should form part of your requirements capture. I have built a couple of music dedicated PCs in the past, but the physical footprint and the noise have always driven me back to the macmini.

This might seem a thread disruption, but perhaps consider a second hand macmini or iMac?

Return to “General Gear”