Dreadbox - Typhon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Dreadbox - Typhon

Post by pmboos » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:44 pm

Struggle wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:22 pm
pmboos wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:15 pm
Mine finally arrived...

So I seem to get considerable distortion/noise. Some patches zero, some I have considerable constant background noise (and it is passing through the effects), some I only seem to have some extraneous distortion/noise when played (seemingly when the envelope is anything but 0). Version 1.1 of the firmware.

Anyone else had this?

It doesn't sound like a groundloop as I would expect that to be simply a hum all the time.
What kind of cable are you using and what’s it plugged into? I just noticed that there’s a new warning on the Dreadbox website about faulty usb cables causing noise.
I was just starting to suspect this (without seeing the warning). So thanks for posting as it confirmed my suspicions.

I decided to throw it in my current set-up for a composition. SO instead of going directly into a keyboard amp where I was testing it originally, I plugged it into my Vixen Mixer. It's really odd as the I get a really bad hum with both my Subharmonicon and Typhon unmuted, but it goes away if the SH is muted. It does not go away if I mute the Typhon, but leave the SH open. It also went away if the Typhon's power was removed (by removing the cable). So there is some interaction the bad cable has with power conditioning I am guessing that set-up hums.

Off to get a new cable - looks relatively standard, though I don't remember what the one end is called that is more squarish...
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:23 pm

pmboos wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:44 pm
Off to get a new cable - looks relatively standard, though I don't remember what the one end is called that is more squarish...
It’s A to B. I highly recommend the Chroma Cables. They’re specifically designed to filter noise. They’re expensive as far as usb cables go, but I think they’re worth it.

Chroma Cables: Audio Optimized USB-A to USB-B Cable (White)

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:36 pm

Thanks for that Struggle! I put in an order for one and it should arrive by Friday, so I'll at least be able to play with it on the weekend. (I also through some more patch cables in the order because, well why not...)
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

evilspock
Common Wiggler

Post by evilspock » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:04 pm

Just received my new Typhon here in the US, my first ever Dreadbox purchase and my only music equipment purchase this year. I think it sounds fantastic so far, however...

I am concerned that there is an issue with the design. This one has a serial number that is sub-1000. I have this one powered with a nice USB cable included with my Novation Circuit Mono Station I bought new last year, which is plugged into an Amazon USB/120V plug, which is plugged into my power strip.

I took a few steps around my jam room, touched the Typhon chassis before adjusting the knobs, heard a slight (not loud!) static zap in the PA mains, and the Typhon encoder at that point was dead. Would not respond to pressing or turns. The Load button LED would light upon depressing but would not pull up the patch load screen. I had to power cycle the device to restore proper functionality. I do not live in an extreme climate. It is actually super mild here right now temperature-wise, shorts weather actually, just drier less humid air now that winter is creeping in.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

evilspock
Common Wiggler

Post by evilspock » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:41 pm

And it just happened again. I am trying now with a different USB cable and an Apple USB/120V adapter to see what happens. I can zap my Circuit Mono Station (unintentionally) with ESD and it is just fine.

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:50 pm

This is great info to know about... I haven't seen this behavior, but who knows if I have done anything that would have caused that.
---

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:43 pm

typhon arrived today.
could be dumb user here, but the manual says that the modulators can have "multiple destinations for each modulator with different modulation amounts", i'm not sure of how to do that. it looks like there is a single destination per modulator. am i missing something (I hope)?

edit: ah - i see. you just switch to another destination and set an amount and it should remember all of them. will try.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:22 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:43 pm
edit: ah - i see. you just switch to another destination and set an amount and it should remember all of them. will try.
That confused me a bit at first too. I believe there can be 7 destinations per modulator.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:42 pm

yeah. now i'm trying to figure out, since this is sounding so insane - does the step sequencer actually play if the note sequencer is not? manual seems to say it does, but i'm not entirely sure. but the sounds i'm getting are really crazy.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:45 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:42 pm
yeah. now i'm trying to figure out, since this is sounding so insane - does the step sequencer actually play if the note sequencer is not? manual seems to say it does, but i'm not entirely sure. but the sounds i'm getting are really crazy.
It’s always running in the background..I think the division setting from the note sequencer is tied to the mod though.

Loopop’s demo of the seq mod is really good. He did some pretty cool stuff with it and I understood much better after watching. He also breaks down how the mod value #s correspond to note values which can come in handy.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:12 pm

The combination of the modulators and comprehensive midi cc control is pretty great, actually.

It looks like this level of modulation is unique among the dreadbox instruments, and that their more expensive machines have much less of it. For instance, i didn't see anything like the midi cc modulation, or the midi cc modulation, in the nyx v2 or the erebus v3. They do have a small patch bay, however.

I'm liking the typhon enough I'm thinking about trying out one of these other 2. I'm thinking that probably the nyx has more available modulation because the manual is several pages longer (joke).

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:26 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:12 pm
I'm liking the typhon enough I'm thinking about trying out one of these other 2. I'm thinking that probably the nyx has more available modulation because the manual is several pages longer (joke).
I’m 1 step ahead of you:) I recently got a Nyx 2 and can’t stop playing with it. Still wrapping my head around the dual filter/modulation routing, but been pleased with the sounds I’m coming up with. The random modulator in the reverb section can give it a nice lofi vibe plus a cv output to modulate other stuff. Lots of character.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:31 pm

cool. thanks. have you used the patch bay much? Does that compensate for the lack of midi modulation? (I will have to look at the manual in more detail.) my current vague impression is that i'd go for the nyx over the erebus, but i don't have a strong preference at this point.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:27 pm

Yeah the patch bay is handy and a nice alternative to a mod matrix/menu. I’ve used it a fair amount on its own and plan to incorporate some outside modulation as well.

Nyx seems more suited to complex experimental sounds and Erebus seems a little more straight forward. I can let you know more after my Erebus arrives tomorrow 😂

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:46 am

I have had the Erebus v3 for awhile and really like it. The delay on it is fantastic and the dual ring mod can get some killer tones. The Nyx has been on and off my radar because of the Erebus for awhile. I keep hoping they will come out with an updated Abyss.

I think my only wish on the Typhon would be a clock sync in and out. That's a pretty minor gripe... There is so much to explore in it. I'm currently just enjoying playing around with the presets and learning a bit how they are constructed.

BTW, from an effects standpoint, I really love Dreadbox's Hypnosis and Komorebi as well. I passed my Rare Waves Hydronium through the Komorebi, then the Hypnosis and I took a fantastic lead sound and made it even better. I'm definitely liking what Dreadbox makes...
---

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:34 pm

damn. I broke down and went on a little spending spree. i picked up an erebus v3 and the nyx v2, along with a stand for both, and then picked up a pair of Indian Jori.

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:30 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:34 pm
damn. I broke down and went on a little spending spree. i picked up an erebus v3 and the nyx v2, along with a stand for both, and then picked up a pair of Indian Jori.
Nice! You'll love Dreadbox... They are classic analog synths that have some uniquness to them.
---

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:41 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:34 pm
What kind of stand?

kaffeetrinken
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kaffeetrinken » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:08 am

hmmmm.
sometimes my encoder is stuck, jumping back and forth between two neighbouring values regardless in which direction i rotate the knob …

anybody else observed that behaviour?

Return to “General Gear”