Dreadbox - Typhon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

MossGarden
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Dreadbox - Typhon

Post by MossGarden » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:56 am

I came to do the update this morning, and sadly my Typhon won't wake up. :despair:

I've emailed Dreadbox, hopefully it's a simple fix.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:52 am

Sweetwater said they should have these “any day now”.
I criticize by creation and by finding fault

"I'm on stage its all an act, I'm really scared that I may fall back on the abstract
It'd be exactly where I'm at"

Spectromat
Common Wiggler

Post by Spectromat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:18 am

MossGarden wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:56 am
I came to do the update this morning, and sadly my Typhon won't wake up. :despair:
Hope you get that resolved quickly.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Sweetwater received their first order.

"I'm on stage its all an act, I'm really scared that I may fall back on the abstract

nostalghia
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nostalghia » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:50 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:49 pm
Which apparently sold out quickly-showing as pre-order status now.
“If you look for a meaning, you'll miss everything that happens.” - Andrei Tarkovsky
https://soundcloud.com/nostalghia70s

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:51 pm

nostalghia wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:50 pm
onthebandwagon wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:49 pm
Which apparently sold out quickly-showing as pre-order status now.
I think they were all preordered a while ago.

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:04 pm

I’ve had mine for a few hours now, enough time to make a few patches and sequences, and even record some stuff with other gear, and here are my initial thoughts.

Booting it up, it just sounds so good and has a finished from the start. Once you begin digging into your own patches, modulation, and sequences, you start to understand the magic.

Modulation.
I can see how a lot of folks can look at this and say “oh, it’s like an AS-1”. It has 2 OSCs, some FX, not too big, priced right. But I would say it has some key distinctions that make it different.

The choices that Dreadbox made with how to layout this waveform knob are brilliant.

When you put an LFO or a mod sequencer on that parameter, and you have the detune knob doing fun stuff for the OSC types that take advantage of it, you get super wild, organic modulations that bring the second OSC in and out.
This is a very distinctive feature and it makes a lot of patches sing. Add some probability to your sequence and it all really starts to come alive.

Also, the envelopes in the mod section have negative values. So if you thought, at first glance, the Typhon couldn’t do inverted filter modulation, I’m happy to say it can.

Core Sound
It’s got it. Hard to make it sound bad. The OSCs and filter have been well dialed in and the synth is a giant sweet spot. It has the wide range of possibilities (thanks to modulation, fx, and sequencer) as an Elektron A4, but the big “cut through a mix” quality you get from a Sequential/DSI, or some of the Moog offerings.

FX Tweakability
Lots of parameters to dial in. I especially like the bipolar damp parameter on the reverb, which is kind of a tilt EQ that feeds the reflections, similar to the reverb “tone” parameter on Elektron Model:boxes. Using an LFO on the Reverb level gets a nice gated effect. Good to see some of the FX section parameters accessible by the mod section.

Menu
It’s not a deep dive kind of menu. You can see on the main screen all the pages that are available to you. The only “diving” you actually do is in patch save/load, and it remembers your place for those functions. This makes quick resaving and even re-loading (in an Elektron style) fast and painless.

Sequencer
Yea, it’s fiddly, but at least you know what you’re doing.
For each step you are on in the sequencer, the screen shows you exactly what’s going on. I’ve enjoyed taking a simple sequence and just making some happy accidents happen by scrolling the step# fader up while jumping octaves haphazardly, and also adding in a few ties and rests. Any sequencer that gives me quick, interesting results that I might not otherwise achieve is a useful sequencer.
Bringing probability down to even just 95% gives it some funk.
You can also change clock divisions in realtime and it stays in sync.

Build
Nice and tight construction. Metal case. Knobs and jacks are all solid, no wobble. Very nice, smooth action on the knobs and sliders. No complaints. I love the USB power, as it just makes it very portable.

Dislikes:

Fortunately, just about everything I don’t like about it has already been publicly addressed by Dreadbox and is coming in the next 1-2 updates.

MIDI sync/clock
It seems like the internal MIDI clock is not incredibly rock solid. And the BPM has no decimal resolution. In beat matching it manually to my Model Samples, I found 133 BPM on the Typhon was more like 133.16 on the MS, and the MS can only do a tenth of a decimal BPM, so I was going from 133.1 to 133.2 back and forth. Occasionally just nudging up to 134.1 and back to 133.1 to keep it all locked in.
I’ll use the time until the sync update comes to just make as many fun sequences as I can.

Sequencer
More steps coming (up to 64), more mod targets too.

FX
Looking forward to the HPF on FX1 update for getting it to sit even better in a simple mix with my Model Samples.
More weirdness: Granular pitch shifter is also forthcoming.

EG
It would have been nice to have a bipolar EG knob, but at least the aforementioned mod envelopes have this capability.

Overall, I think Dreadbox has hit it out of the park and I am now looking forward to the updates just as much as I was looking forward to the actual synth arriving.
They’ve showed us that new ideas in the affordable mono synth category are alive and well. I’m actually surprised it costs so little for what you get.
I’m now looking forward to velcro’ing my little 20 hour USB battery to the side, grabbing my headphones, and filling up the patch memories with fun and twisted sequences.

david_r
Wiggling with Experience

Post by david_r » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:16 am

This thing looks / sounds great! Ordered from Detroit Modular, says mid August delivery but on the Dreadbox site it says October? In any case, looking forward to getting my hands on one.

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:58 pm

Some Typhon sequences and patches I made.
Hit the LA-2A in the MOTU UL MK4 on the way in, so it is on the loud side (warning).

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:00 pm

AdamJay wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:58 pm
Some Typhon sequences and patches I made.
Hit the LA-2A in the MOTU UL MK4 on the way in, so it is on the loud side (warning).

sounds great!
love how the oscillators bends with the portamento...not all synths behaves this way
you are pushing me too much to get one...I must resist...

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:26 pm

Neat - love the Typhon sounds and the robot tabecloth(?)!
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:58 am

pmboos wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:26 pm
Neat - love the Typhon sounds and the robot tabecloth(?)!
Bandana actually! My friend if Philly made some face masks from the same material too. It's a fun print, for sure.
anselmi wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:00 pm

sounds great!
love how the oscillators bends with the portamento...not all synths behaves this way
you are pushing me too much to get one...I must resist...
Yes, I agree. and the fading between OSC schemes makes for unique results that don't require complex modulation.
But the fact that there is no MIDI sync yet (next firmware) is a pretty good reason to resist, or at least wait.

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:47 pm

Last edited by AdamJay on Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:49 pm

How are the effects? Half of my interest in getting one is to process external audio.

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:31 pm

I haven't processed external audio yet, but the distortions and reverb are quite good. Mix parameters on all, so easy to dial in with subtlety.

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:20 pm

Using the Typhon’s sequencer with only one step live, along with probability:

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:33 pm

Made a track with the Typhon doing double duty: The plucky-marimba melody is a tweaked preset in Bank A, but then I have my Telecaster being filtered through the ping-pong delay. I'm controlling the Typhon with a ten-note sequence on random from my Medusa (the Medusa sounds SO GOOD going through the stereo Typhon effects, but not featured here). And then I have a Midi out going to an SV-1b for bouncy, juicy backbeats. Some grainer FM echoes from the Medusa line out is also in the mix. The guitar was added after the other three voices were recorded simultaneously (four if you count L and R from Typhon).

The rate of return on both utility and fun is kind of unmatched. The line in is opened not by a gate, but by having its own preset; so what that means is that Typhon can't add an effect to line in AND play as a monophonic voice at the same time. The trade-off is that it really is a pure multi effects box and not just a lined-in processor triggered by an opened gate, which is what the Medusa does, and I think the Grandmother/Matriarch too . I was planning on getting the Zen Delay from Erica Synths, but it seams redundant now, plus its an amazing analog voice, plus it was cheaper.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:41 pm

I was initially turned off by my assumption that this synth would be a pain to program by the looks of it, but after finally checking out some demos I’m pretty blown away by the sounds and easy navigation.

Silly question, but are those led faders?

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:25 pm

Struggle wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:41 pm
I was initially turned off by my assumption that this synth would be a pain to program by the looks of it, but after finally checking out some demos I’m pretty blown away by the sounds and easy navigation.

If you mean in the lower right area of the Typhon when looking at it from the top; yes they are...
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:14 pm

pmboos wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:25 pm
Struggle wrote:

If you mean in the lower right area of the Typhon when looking at it from the top; yes they are...
Ah..I thought so, but never seen them light up in demos:)

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:37 pm

Struggle wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:14 pm
pmboos wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:25 pm
Struggle wrote:

Ah..I thought so, but never seen them light up in demos:)
Interesting.... Let me go back and look... I thought I had seen them do so. I used a static pic when I responded.
---

Spectromat
Common Wiggler

Post by Spectromat » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:35 am

The sliders do have LEDs on them, but have not lit up yet.. I wonder if the LEDs are waiting for the October firmware update before they are ready to show themselves?

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:39 pm

Dreadbox has said that the LED faders will illuminate in a future firmware update.

Perhaps not this forthcoming update, and I am fine with that, as there are many more pressing issues to be addressed.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:57 am

AdamJay wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:39 pm
Dreadbox has said that the LED faders will illuminate in a future firmware update.

Perhaps not this forthcoming update, and I am fine with that, as there are many more pressing issues to be addressed.
Thanks Adam, good to know! I managed to grab a used Typhon and should have it Monday. Would you mind sharing what portable power source you’re using?

AdamJay
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by AdamJay » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:55 pm

Struggle wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:57 am
AdamJay wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:39 pm

Thanks Adam, good to know! I managed to grab a used Typhon and should have it Monday. Would you mind sharing what portable power source you’re using?
RAVPower battery pack RP-PB060

Return to “General Gear”