Dreadbox - Typhon

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Dreadbox - Typhon

Post by Kattefjaes » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:00 pm

AdamJay wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:39 pm
Dreadbox has said that the LED faders will illuminate in a future firmware update.
Ok, making the slider LEDs light up usefully is the update that the people want!

I really don't need a Typhon, but it's cute as hell. I have an Erebus v3 (which sounds gorgeous), so I have a lot of time for Dreadbox. This thread isn't helping; I'm ahead of my spending with what I've shifted on Reverb this month, don't ruin it 8-)

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:02 pm

AdamJay wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:39 pm
Dreadbox has said that the LED faders will illuminate in a future firmware update.

Perhaps not this forthcoming update, and I am fine with that, as there are many more pressing issues to be addressed.
Adam thanks for this - I love Dreadbox's stuff, so i can't wait for my Typhon to arrive. I suppose I'll be in the next batch going out (hopefully) this month.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:27 am

Been having so much fun playing this synth that I’ve decided to grab a 2nd one!

Only bummer so far is when I decided to update from 1.0 and realized that I can’t with my old Mac running 10.13. Will have to wait until my son is done with school for the day so I can borrow his Windows computer.

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:30 pm

Has anyone heard whether Dreadbox has started shipping the next batch? I'm anxiously awaiting my pre-order I made through Perfect Circuit.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:42 am

Same here, wondering when they’ll be back in the U.K. at least. Most U.K. retailers say 1-2 weeks at the moment , others say December ?

I guess it’s almost impossible to say with everything that’s going on.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:56 pm

Dreadbox just posted on Instagram they have 1000 units going out to stores in the next few weeks

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:17 pm

@struggle thanks for the update!
---

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:34 pm

So I am guessing mine will be in the October batch. I dropped by Dreadbox's website and I see they plan to have a major software update on the 15th, so perhaps the next batch will ship out shortly after that..? The software update sounds awesome - some new effects and MIDI control.
---

J3RK
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by J3RK » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:08 pm

New firmware is out. There's still a sync issue, but they're working on it now.
Are you lemon? Does your head come to a nub?

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:32 pm

Hmmmm... I missed that. I guess they are fixing that before they send the next batch out.
---

dubnspace
Veteran Wiggler

Post by dubnspace » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:07 pm

So looks like instead of implementing the LED sliders actually lighting up they've just ditched them all together, the new batch that just went out have non-led sliders.

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:36 am

I'm ok with them becoming non-lit. Given what they are used for, I am not sure they would provide useful feedback for anything. I have an ST Workbench that has LED sliders, the only useful feedback I have seen from it's slider LEDs is the LFO rate, which you can also get a sense of from the knob position. Don't get me wrong I like it, but that only applies to 2-3 sliders out of like 8. So it could have been an expense avoided. The position of the sliders provides most of the feedback needed. It's also just another thing that can go wrong on it; seems mostly for looking cool. So perhaps Dreadbox realized that they added nothing and dropped them.
---

renderful
Common Wiggler

Post by renderful » Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:30 pm

Just got word that mine is on the way!

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:44 pm

renderful wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:30 pm
Just got word that mine is on the way!
Paint me jealous.... Out of curiosity where did you order from..?

Anyway, I was using my Hypnosis this afternoon and got a really nice mix of chorus, delay, and reverb that had just a slight tinge of sc-fi feel - add in some RA-99 synth and it did go space rock indeed. I also have a lead in mind from one of the presets from the Typhon when it arrives.

Off-topic side note: I can see why some people use a DAW now for recording - I needed more hands to do everything I wanted, but I am going to keep working at it as I am gearing this towards something I can do live. (I never think much about recorded stuff when I play, I am always thinking what might excite the audience...)
---

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:08 pm

I was informed the other day that Sweetwater had them in stock.
I criticize by creation and by finding fault

"I'm on stage its all an act, I'm really scared that I may fall back on the abstract
It'd be exactly where I'm at"

renderful
Common Wiggler

Post by renderful » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:32 pm

Just got it in from Sweetwater today

3db
Learning to Wiggle

Post by 3db » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:46 pm

Has anybody from the UK managed to get a Typhon in the UK lets say from August onwards ?
Thanks.

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:28 pm

Mine is on the way, should arrive on the 10th.
---

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:21 pm

The new firmware makes "Catch" the default setting. I would recommend first-time users switch that for the knobs, if not both the knobs and sliders. The full capacity of the machine is stunted by this change. I get why they changed it for the sliders, but not the knobs. I use it as an expressive EXT IN effects filter box, and you wouldn't know how good this thing was at doing that with current default settings.

Here's a single track of the mono Subharmonicon straight into the Dreadbox with stereo outs:

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:34 pm

wrngtrls wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:21 pm
The new firmware makes "Catch" the default setting. I would recommend first-time users switch that for the knobs, if not both the knobs and sliders. The full capacity of the machine is stunted by this change. I get why they changed it for the sliders, but not the knobs. I use it as an expressive EXT IN effects filter box, and you wouldn't know how good this thing was at doing that with current default settings.
Curious - the term Catch doesn't tell me exactly what is doing... What does 'Catch' mean? Thanks!
---

wrngtrls
Common Wiggler

Post by wrngtrls » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:38 pm

[/quote]

Curious - the term Catch doesn't tell me exactly what is doing... What does 'Catch' mean? Thanks!
[/quote]

The knobs on the Typhon are massive (like several SV-1 filters), and they are also super powerful and sensitive, just like wigglers like them. The design issue has to do with the presets: when players touch the knobs, should the parameter automatically adjust to where the knob is, or does the player have to move the knob past the preset to know where he preset is turned to before the parameter/function starts to adjust. They opted for the latter with the latest firmware and they are calling this catch. And while I find it helpful on the sliders that correspond to the screen menu, with the knobs it's less inviting and people playing for the first time will find it not as liquid and expressive with turning off this catch function. The 1.1 firmware didn't have the Catch as a default (it might not have been an option actually) so I am only sharing this because I love the thing, but it worked totally different with this Catch on the knobs.

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:04 am

wrngtrls wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:38 pm
[/quote]

The knobs on the Typhon are massive (like several SV-1 filters), and they are also super powerful and sensitive, just like wigglers like them. The design issue has to do with the presets: when players touch the knobs, should the parameter automatically adjust to where the knob is, or does the player have to move the knob past the preset to know where he preset is turned to before the parameter/function starts to adjust. They opted for the latter with the latest firmware and they are calling this catch. And while I find it helpful on the sliders that correspond to the screen menu, with the knobs it's less inviting and people playing for the first time will find it not as liquid and expressive with turning off this catch function. The 1.1 firmware didn't have the Catch as a default (it might not have been an option actually) so I am only sharing this because I love the thing, but it worked totally different with this Catch on the knobs.
[/quote]

Thanks! I appreciate you explaining it. I guess I'll change that setting when it arrives as the first thing I do as I would want the knobs to go to reflecting their setting immediately. Not sure, but I might want the sliders to do that as well, though since they are used across several functions I may not want that.
---

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:43 pm

Hmmmm.... wonder what I did to screw up the quoting..?

BTW, @Wrongtrails, I forgot to mention that I like your Subharmonicon track.
---

pmboos
Ultra Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:15 pm

Mine finally arrived...

So I seem to get considerable distortion/noise. Some patches zero, some I have considerable constant background noise (and it is passing through the effects), some I only seem to have some extraneous distortion/noise when played (seemingly when the envelope is anything but 0). Version 1.1 of the firmware.

Anyone else had this?

It doesn't sound like a groundloop as I would expect that to be simply a hum all the time.
---

Struggle
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Struggle » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:22 pm

pmboos wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:15 pm
Mine finally arrived...

So I seem to get considerable distortion/noise. Some patches zero, some I have considerable constant background noise (and it is passing through the effects), some I only seem to have some extraneous distortion/noise when played (seemingly when the envelope is anything but 0). Version 1.1 of the firmware.

Anyone else had this?

It doesn't sound like a groundloop as I would expect that to be simply a hum all the time.
What kind of cable are you using and what’s it plugged into? I just noticed that there’s a new warning on the Dreadbox website about faulty usb cables causing noise.

Return to “General Gear”