Majella Audio teases IMPLEXUS

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, lisa, Kent, Joe.

MerkDak
Learning to Wiggle

Majella Audio teases IMPLEXUS

Post by MerkDak » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:53 am

Some kind of hybrid subtractive/additive synth from dutch synth builders Majella. Looks seriously impressive...

Check out this short teaser video

pmboos
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Majella Audio teases IMPLEXUS

Post by pmboos » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:12 pm

I love the vid on it... If the price isn't too expensive, I'll probably put myself in for one.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Annwn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Annwn » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:15 pm

Strange that this hasn't generated more interest. €1299 is a bit steep for me personally but it looks like a quality instrument.

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:18 am

I was very interested and think looks and sounds great and I can imagine it's a super high quality instrument but I found it hard to justify the price compared to other boutique synths at a similar price.. I ended up getting a second Motas-6 instead which is about the same price.

pmboos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:39 am

I think it is pretty cool, but quite frankly it's directly competing against a Microvolt 3900 IMHO. The only thing it seems to have on it is the LED light feedback and maybe the LFO time divisions (you'd have to do more work with the Microvolt). If they were targeting more in that price range, I'd probably try it out. I'm more inclined to get a second Microvolt. And buying a Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900 has about 0 risk in delivery of non-working or problematic instrument. They have been making them for years now and they sound really lovely at half the price.

Don't get me wrong; it's a lovely looking and sounding instrument by what they have shown; I'm just not seeing a compelling reason to get it at the price point they have chosen. I am a pretty big backer of Kickstarter projects in general, but I think they are basing their price totally on the money their need and not on market evaluation. Perhaps they needed to have gotten more backing from private investors (or dump more in themselves) to have a price point in line with the market. (BTW, I am not claiming to be any kind of expert here, but that's what impressions are...)
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

R.Waltzer
Learning to Wiggle

Post by R.Waltzer » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:40 am

Its not a cheap synth but it looks really exciting, no plastic pots and other frustrating cost saving trends. lots of features as well.. can't imagine the $$$ of building a synth like that in eurorack modules..

nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nolongerhuman » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:10 am

pmboos wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:39 am
I think it is pretty cool, but quite frankly it's directly competing against a Microvolt 3900 IMHO. The only thing it seems to have on it is the LED light feedback and maybe the LFO time divisions (you'd have to do more work with the Microvolt). If they were targeting more in that price range, I'd probably try it out. I'm more inclined to get a second Microvolt. And buying a Pittsburgh Modular Microvolt 3900 has about 0 risk in delivery of non-working or problematic instrument. They have been making them for years now and they sound really lovely at half the price.
It’s interesting you mention that. I watched the video and was really jazzed about it but I felt like It was on the rather high end of the price range. The feature set isn’t common in stand alone but it reminded me immediately of the Microvolt, which is one of those synths I keep forgetting exists. I spent the last two days thinking about it and ended up buying a microvolt this morning. For me something like this would have to be under $1000 to really justify it, it’s very niche, but very solid sounding. Hopefully the Microvolt scratches that same itch.

pmboos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:41 am

Microvolt seems to have mostly the same features and a large patch bay. I like the timing ideas and LEDs for feedback they put on the Implexus for the LFO and I am certain it will sound different, but the early bird Kickstarter price seems to be advertised at ~1300 Euros. For half that, you can get a Microvolt. I just think they are not positioning the synth at the right price point. I'm also not an expert on the synth market pricing business, just a consumer, so I could be totally misunderstanding a market. If they were close to the Microvolt in pricing, I'd get one just to add it to the arsenal.

I just hope that they don't abandon it if the Kickstarter is unsuccessful. It may just mean a rethink. I've seen a lot of boardgame companies do a rethink and/or gain some additional private capital and be successful a second go-around. I get sad when I see people abandon their projects just because they have one misstep; Kickstarter is all about learning pricing and such.
---

Return to “General Gear”