One big purchase: Sequential or Deckard's?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

hippo1
Common Wiggler

One big purchase: Sequential or Deckard's?

Post by hippo1 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:29 am

So after a long time of bedroom recording/playing, I'm in a position to get a 'flagship' synth. It'll be one big purchase, and I've long eyed the return of SCI's Prophet-6/OB-6 revamps; watching endless hours of Youtube reviews/comparisons/etc. However, the closer I get to actually pulling the trigger, I find I'm second-guessing myself and thinking of their REV2 16-voice. Having grown up on a diet of 70-80s music, the P6/OB-6 is a natural contender; and it fits my particular 'likes' in sound design. [The 4-oct limitation is of little consequence; this is for home use, not gigging; and I have larger MIDI controllers if needed.] Unfortunately (for Dave Smith I guess!), the side-by-side comps of the REV2 bring it very close to the hallowed VCO territory (with a little 'slop', and a little modulation), and this raises my (late!) point:
Am I buying an icon, for its 'legacy'; or (as has been the case, over and over through my life and countless others) will I be satisfied with the compromise of NOT REAL VCOS (but elevated voice count, modulations, etc.)? Tempering this exercise with the reality that, after X years, I'll probably be flipping this synth for whatever is next in the endless consumer pipeline (whatever new synth, or remake).
And then, there's the DD; lingering in that I-guess-so territory just beyond (what's another 800bucks, anywayz?!). For me, that'd be the edge of affordability, but doable. And I've had enough of the 'That's just NOT a CS-80!', or the 'Vangelis machine!' trumpeters; regardless, it's an impressive analog synth, with a GREAT sound.

I've chimed in on other's questions/polls, about similar goals; now I find myself sitting on a similar fence. [I fully realize that the REV2/16 would be very much cheaper; in this ONE INSTANCE (for me!), the dough ain't the problem.]

Like a lot of the ol'-timers here, I've amassed a fairly large pool of slowly-rotating synths: Mono and poly, analog and digital, along with modular stuff; all fairly middle-of-the-road stuff. Apparently, I've leaned more towards quantity over quality. [Maybe this will change.]

Any thoughts? I'm hoping some SCI owners, and possibly DDRM users, could help out with their two cents.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: One big purchase: Sequential or Deckard's?

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:48 am

between the two id say deckards. outside of the box id say get a solaris.
TOO FAR GONE

Corrupt
Common Wiggler

Post by Corrupt » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:03 am

Deckards every day of the week.

Corrupt
Common Wiggler

Post by Corrupt » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:05 am

(But controller-wise MPE or poly aftertouch would be essential.)

blw
Wiggling with Experience

Post by blw » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:16 am

hippo1 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:29 am
Having grown up on a diet of 70-80s music, the P6/OB-6 is a natural contender;
Maybe something from the DSI line if you want more of an all-rounder, but the DD captures way more vintage vibes. I think particularly if you are a player, go with the DD. You say you have several synths. Go for something special. With apologies to its fans, OB-6 is capable but probably closer to the middle-of-the-road synths you already have.

GuyaGuy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by GuyaGuy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:29 am

I think a lot depends on what you want out of it. For me the Rev2 is the best option for versatility—mod matrix, effects that can be modulated, the gated seq, audio rate LFOs, etc. It’s great for pads, sound design, atmospherics, and such. But it takes a bit of effort to make big-bottomed chords due to the pinched filter and oscillators. Meanwhile the P6 and OB6 do that with ease. I’ve not played the DD but from videos it sounds like it can as well.

Gribs
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gribs » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am

Novation Summit + ASM Hydrasynth KB.
----------------------------------------

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:21 am

I went with the Deckard's and if I had to do it over, I'd buy it again.

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:23 am

I've only had a P6 for a week, the Deckard's was vaguely on my radar but not really - a new one would be almost twice what I paid and even used V1s almost a grand more (I also don't really care about Blade Runner... but Martin Rev had a Prophet 5).

Not much of an impression to give aside from it's really good and easy - it feeds you good sounds. I have an appreciation for (almost) WYSIWYG synths even if they're theoretically more limited than a synth with a deep modulation matrix. Junos and Jupiters and etc..

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:45 am

+1 for Deckardsdream
(I also have the OB-6 and tried the Prophet6)
Or look for the new Abstrakt Instruments VS-1 (OB-x Clone)
The DDRM can be used in a wide range of music genres.
And with an Roli Seaboard (MPE) you will have a lot of fun for many years.
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

Xomrys
Common Wiggler

Post by Xomrys » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:59 am

If you want something modern consider also the udo super6. Solaris also an excellent choice.

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lux A Turner » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:15 pm

Gribs wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am
Novation Summit + ASM Hydrasynth KB.
I almost went for a Summit, when I realised what my modular was going to cost.
So yes - a Summit. Or maybe something from the Modal 00 Series ?
It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:25 pm

another vote for the UDO Super-6...amazing sound that covers a lot of territory (far beyond pure analog-style classics) while keeps everything simple and hands on
I find it more versatile than all the others you mention but without lack of character

gruebleengourd
Veteran Wiggler

Post by gruebleengourd » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:11 pm

For sure I would suggest going for the prophet 6 or ob-6 over a rev2. More complex sound design is not necessarily what is needed for a subtractive poly, but timbral variety and qualia are key. What I mean is the core tone, not the modulation. I'd say the deckards and sequentials are different enough to make the decision more about what features you would prefer. I find the dual layer design of the deckards to be very flexible and expressive. But if classic 24 db lowpass sounds are what you want, then the prophet 6 is a fine choice.

I would also highly recommmend you look closely at the black corporation Xerxes. It is my currently my favorite poly I've ever played. My impression of it is that with it's sync, ring mod, and cross mod capabilities, it can create tones that are only available otherwise in digital synths, yet it has all the positives of analog in regard to programming and tonality. Cool patches just flow out of it. Every little variation seems worth saving. The Xerxes should also be currently available, and is in a smaller package than the other black corp synths (until the deckards mk2 comes out some day).

carynrich
Wiggling with Experience

Post by carynrich » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:40 pm

I’d recommend a P6, it’s been my go to synth since I got it. It’s so easy to get a great sound, the panel layout and menu are intuitive, and I love how the knobs and keys are so responsive. Such an expressive synth, I love it. The DD is nice, but a completely different machine. Have to work on a patch to get a good sound.
The OB6 is also very good, it’s a lot like the P6. I like using the P6 for leads and bubbly arpeggios, whereas I use the OB6 more for ethereal pads. Really beautiful sounds there.
I have a prophet 5 rev 2, and believe it or not I like the P6 better. I also have a CS50. Very expressive synth, but unfortunately lots of mechanical problems. What they say about vintage synths are true, mechanically they’re unreliable, the P6 is a great substitute, Just turn it on and play (although one wiggler has had some serious quality issues with his. Luckily I haven’t had the same issues). It’s a no brainer, P6.

Mind Flayer
Common Wiggler

Post by Mind Flayer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:22 pm

Regarding the Rev2 vs Prophet 6 / OB6, I have Rev2 8-voice and the OB6 (both desktop versions). I love them both. I will say, do not discount the value of the extra polyphony of the Rev2. As much as I love the OB6, I often find myself hitting the voice limit. That rarely happens on the Rev2, and I only have the 8-voice version, which can be upgraded to 16 voices.

Between the Rev2 and Prophet 6, I think the main thing I noticed when watching youtube comparisons was that on the Rev2, you lose some bottom end when you turn up the resonance. That’s not necessarily a bad thing — same thing happens on a Minimoog.

If I could keep only the OB6 or the Rev2, I’d probably keep the Rev2. I find it to be more versatile, sounds awesome, and has more polyphony.

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:45 pm

re: Summit, I also have one on loan for a couple of months while my brother is stuck elsewhere because of work/COVID.

Compared to the P6, I'm not sure there's anything you couldn't replicate (or expand on) with the Summit but it does make you work for it a bit more. Even with all the knobs, you'll be doing some menu diving. I wish it would let you save over the init patch with a couple of settings (ie being able to save drift and diverge @ 20 on the init patch instead of having to go into the menu and do it every time).

Xomrys
Common Wiggler

Post by Xomrys » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:56 pm

VCO vs. DCO, analog vs. digital makes very little difference. What makes the most difference is the year something was made. For instance a PPG 360, an all digital synth without even a filter, competes sonically with everything else in its era (late 70's). Same for the Hal Alles/Crumar synth. Other than the unique kinds of timbres available these sound much more 'analog' than a Moog One in many respects.

Anyway -- just listen to demos and understand that way whether or not you like the sound, instead of focusing on what technology was used to implement it.

Also, stay away from the popular Youtubers. Only Katsunori Ujiie is good in the sense that the sounds you hear will match your actual experience with the synth. Definitely watch Ujiie's stuff, there are English subtitles. Aside from that you can usually get more out of anonymous users' videos, provided they record from line out rather than their phone.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:41 am

hippo1 wrote:

Like a lot of the ol'-timers here, I've amassed a fairly large pool of slowly-rotating synths: Mono and poly, analog and digital, along with modular stuff; all fairly middle-of-the-road stuff. Apparently, I've leaned more towards quantity over quality. [Maybe this will change.]
Yes, let it change and go quality over quantity. It doesn't matter what you choose at the upper tiers of awesome synths, they are all great when compared to the middle of the road.

I personally went for an ob6 and it ended my hunting for something better. That in itself was worth the price.

Have you had an instrument where every time you played it, you forgot about the price or shortcomings or alternatives, and just fully enjoyed and appreciated it for what it is? Your about to.

Just get whatever your instincts tell you to. All those options are great.

tioJim
Ultra Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:05 am

Disclosure: OB6 owner, no personal experience of other synths mentioned.

I think the OB6 is an odd one in that it's acquisition is largely driven by the question "well do you want that Oberheim sound or not?" Because you won't get it from anything else if you do.

A professional synthesist friend touring with a major synth band tells me DD does not like a CS80 sound, but you seem to know that already.

As a player I'd think you want lots of performance controls. How about a Hydrasynth keyboard (poly aftertouch, ribbon controller, ratcheting arpeggiator) plus OB6 desktop?

The OB6 is looking likely to get MPE support (see Sequential forums).

I love my OB6. I even upgraded to the keyboard version 3 years into ownership of the desktop version! But it isn't the last synth I'll ever need.

tigerhill
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tigerhill » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:51 am

hippo1 wrote:
So after a long time of bedroom recording/playing, I'm in a position to get a 'flagship' synth. It'll be one big purchase, and I've long eyed the return of SCI's Prophet-6/OB-6 revamps; watching endless hours of Youtube reviews/comparisons/etc. However, the closer I get to actually pulling the trigger, I find I'm second-guessing myself and thinking of their REV2 16-voice. Having grown up on a diet of 70-80s music, the P6/OB-6 is a natural contender; and it fits my particular 'likes' in sound design. [The 4-oct limitation is of little consequence; this is for home use, not gigging; and I have larger MIDI controllers if needed.] Unfortunately (for Dave Smith I guess!), the side-by-side comps of the REV2 bring it very close to the hallowed VCO territory (with a little 'slop', and a little modulation), and this raises my (late!) point:
Am I buying an icon, for its 'legacy'; or (as has been the case, over and over through my life and countless others) will I be satisfied with the compromise of NOT REAL VCOS (but elevated voice count, modulations, etc.)? Tempering this exercise with the reality that, after X years, I'll probably be flipping this synth for whatever is next in the endless consumer pipeline (whatever new synth, or remake).
And then, there's the DD; lingering in that I-guess-so territory just beyond (what's another 800bucks, anywayz?!). For me, that'd be the edge of affordability, but doable. And I've had enough of the 'That's just NOT a CS-80!', or the 'Vangelis machine!' trumpeters; regardless, it's an impressive analog synth, with a GREAT sound.

I've chimed in on other's questions/polls, about similar goals; now I find myself sitting on a similar fence. [I fully realize that the REV2/16 would be very much cheaper; in this ONE INSTANCE (for me!), the dough ain't the problem.]

Any thoughts? I'm hoping some SCI owners, and possibly DDRM users, could help out with their two cents.
I was in a similar situation recently but wanted a nice quality keybed as part of my purchase since my main synth with keys is a Juno 106 which has obvious limitations in the keybed department :).

I just bought the OB6 - has not arrived yet so I can't tell you how right or wrong I was but I am feeling good about it. I didn't really consider DD seriously because for me 800 extra was a lot and felt already I was kinda going overboard with the DSI synths but I love the way it sounds and would love it if I had the money and a nice keyboard already.

I have also tended towards quantity or good value synths in the past and my Juno (which I bought years ago) is my most valuable piece of gear. I recently I have been noticing I just use the Juno and digitone and am selling all my smaller pieces and focusing on quality that I will cherish for years like the Juno.

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 am

Thanks to all that posted opinions: There was a lot of good reasoning in there. I'm pulling the trigger on a P6, vs the OB-6, more out of versatility (seems all over the 'net, the agreement is: P6=Swiss army knife, and OB-6=bigfat SEM sound, period). I like the sound of both; they bring me back decades. I think the REV2 was more of a thorn in the side, calling out for attention (I may eventually pull that into the arsenal at some point). As to DD: It may not ultimately sound like much, but the added expense makes my eyes water. [I'd want to get its companion rack effect at some point, with the ringmod. That'd push its total price easily over a $1.5K more, comparing with the P6/OB-6... ] The other Black Corp synths didn't really get my pulse racing, personally. [Maybe once I become famous...!]

Thanks again, and happy wiggling!

Return to “General Gear”