Recommend me a travel synth (lots of suggestions!)

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Recommend me a travel synth (lots of suggestions!)

Post by flx » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:04 am

IR wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:15 am
A lot of mp3 players also let you record in ,wav, but I don't know how many have a line input jack.

It's kind of cool, too bad it doesn't have a more complicated level meter, if those LEDs are even used for that.
I haven’t found any MP3 players that record WAVs with a line in. But I really like the simplicity of the Reloop Tape 2. If the LED is red, the audio is clipping. That’s enough for me :mrgreen: I could even live with less features on the device, if it was even smaller then.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:46 am

More news and pictures of my DIY travel synthesizer:
http://community.axoloti.com/t/axoloti- ... enclosure/

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:01 pm

Man, that's really nice! I really want this machine... But I'm totally new to Axoloti thing. Is it hard to make the same thing as yours? Is the synth program (patch?) by your own? Then it looks like some serious work needed.. might be easier to learning shnth harder...

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:53 am

From what I got when looking into Shnth a while back, the Axoloti seemed way easier and “normal” to program with the visual patch editor. It’s really just a virtual modular synth, complete with virtual patch cords. There are tons of modules and you can also code your own or modify existing ones inside the software.

When I’m finished with building my travel synth, I’ll share my patches and build docs. If you don’t want to solder, you can also just attach a MIDI controller and simply re-wire the controls in the patches to that.

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:14 am

Wow flx that's very nice of you! :tu: :tu: I'm very much looking forward to try out! :sb: For hardware I have only basic soldering skill and worry about trouble shooting, if that happens..

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:21 am

The nice thing about the Axoloti is that you can very easily solder just a simple pin header to it (see the first picture in my previous post) and then you don't have to permanently solder something more complex to it. Like this the Axoloti won't break if you mess up. I really only ever soldered pots, switches and buttons to my Axoloti projects, which are all very sturdy and hard to break. So definitely try it out. It's a good project to gain experience with.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:06 am

My non-DIY travel synth setup from now on:
6CEBFF22-FAC6-4388-A9A6-87B43CF799C2.jpeg
Gotharman’s Tiny LD workstation, which has the same OS as the Little deFormer 3, but less knobs and buttons. Runs great on my Harley Benton 9V power bank too :mrgreen:

Of course I’m still continuing with my Axoloti travel synth project too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:23 am

Honestly , as much as I love hardware , an iPad and a small midi controller is still my go to for when I’m away. Just so many options , Korg gadget is a load of fun especially if you have a lot of the Korg synths and module.
I don’t get the urge to get away from a computer with it, maybe because it’s so reliable and just works.

The OPZ is hell of a lot of fun, although build quality is apparently an issue , although mine worked fine whilst I had it. Also I’d consider an MC101 or Novation circuit.

Actually if you have a Switch, gadgets on there as well.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

r05c03
Ultra Wiggler

Post by r05c03 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:23 am

How about just an iPad with some apps? You really cannot get more flexible, built audio capture, import the audio into apps, send those sounds through other apps, record it, all in one device.
Gear List: Elektron Octatrack, Elektron A4,Microbrute, Bass Station, Rings Braids, Pitts Ring Mod, Pitts Osc, Echophon, Intillegel uFold / uMIDI, PNW2, Doepfer 138-c, 119, Tiptop Z4000, Maleko Fade / 8NU8R

four_corners
Common Wiggler

Post by four_corners » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:36 pm

It has a screen, but the Organelle M is a great travel synth. It isn't super tiny, but can fit in a backpack, and has batteries.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:17 pm

four_corners wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:36 pm
It has a screen, but the Organelle M is a great travel synth. It isn't super tiny, but can fit in a backpack, and has batteries.
Ah yes! Good suggestion. Added it to the OP.

Richard deHove
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Richard deHove » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:49 am

This has a great sound, nice slider interaction, and cheap! Only problem is the waiting list is now at 5 years :woah: My guess is someone with mass production capabilities will copy this concept and take all those hungry customers. Before discovering the 5-year waitlist I thought this would make a good companion for the Black Hole reverb.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:09 am

^ Richard, that was very nicely done.

Another alternative, also out of stock at the moment but perhaps another run will happen:
BugBrand Board Chirper

Add a couple of your favorite pedals for an easy to carry, battery powered, very hands-on, travel synth.
BoardChirperSetup20190716-800.jpg
Sounds like: LISTEN
(might have been different pedals from what's in the picture but you get the idea)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:nana:

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:31 pm

Nice! Thanks for the suggestions :tu: I added the Fjaerlett and Board Chirper to the OP.

Today I had some time to solder, so I built my new and improved Axoloti Travel Synth into its laser-cut enclosure:
e076768252cd265f048bba71d1b6341a7eca577c.jpg
This will probably be my final design, using all but one of the Axoloti’s input pins. So 12 pots, 6 toggle switches and 1 momentary push button. Now I’ll continue patching and then release everything, once I reach 15 patches on the mSD card :sb:

More info and pictures here:

four_corners
Common Wiggler

Post by four_corners » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:16 pm

flx wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:31 pm
Nice! Thanks for the suggestions :tu: I added the Fjaerlett and Board Chirper to the OP.

Today I had some time to solder, so I built my new and improved Axoloti Travel Synth into its laser-cut enclosure:

This will probably be my final design, using all but one of the Axoloti’s input pins. So 12 pots, 6 toggle switches and 1 momentary push button. Now I’ll continue patching and then release everything, once I reach 15 patches on the mSD card :sb:

Nice! I built an Axoloti maybe 2 years ago but tucked it away after a few months. Maybe I need to break it out to try something like this...

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:31 pm

flx wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:31 pm

Looks very nice :tu: :tu: the size seems perfect, too. Looking forward further information (maybe on the axloti board?) :hihi:

eclectics
Wiggling with Experience

Post by eclectics » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:48 am

deb76
Common Wiggler

Re: Recommend me a travel synth that fits my very special needs :D

Post by deb76 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:16 am

flashheart wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:34 am
papz wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:20 pm
https://www.s8jfou.com/the-peeps-music-box

Sounds and looks lovely. Definite Buchla vibe to it.
24/5000
Excellent. I remember...

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:30 am

I've been working on this craftsynth 2.0 in a lunchbox thing with speaker...works well. Might have to add that Reloop Tape2 recorder (would fit into the theme}.
WIN_20200923_11_24_24_Pro.jpg
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

Return to “General Gear”