Why buy used at recent market prices?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Why buy used at recent market prices?

Post by Ceres » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:39 pm

This doesn’t apply to vintage and gear no longer made.

I’ve noticed in the past year or so that the vast majority of gear I’ve acquired has been new as I can’t justify the the used prices. You can almost always find a 10% discount on new gear somewhere and I’ve found most used gear is priced in line with this or maybe a slight savings but then you get used gear and have to deal with an individual seller to save maybe $20 on something that costs a few hundred. Not worth it at all IMO. I’ve sold gear on reverb that can be acquired new for the price I it sold for. :hmm:
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Drillionaire
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Why buy used at recent market prices?

Post by Drillionaire » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:41 pm

The only scenario that comes to mind is buying a piece of gear secondhand made by a company you don’t want to support directly. I’ve seen that argument made for purchasing used gear from morally bankrupt companies.

vadimred13
Common Wiggler

Post by vadimred13 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:50 pm

I guess I haven't really seen it. There's definitely people attempting to sell used for about the same price as new, but those items tend not to sell. For items that actually end up sold, on average I see them priced at about 20-25% off the new price

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:41 pm

impulse buyers
TOO FAR GONE

levelhead3
Wiggling with Experience

Post by levelhead3 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:54 pm

Perhaps modules that are still technically in production but in practice are impossible to find new retail.

Gringo Starr
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Gringo Starr » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:59 pm

I agree

I only buy used if it’s a really good deal or something that isn’t made anymore. A module that’s $300 brand new and is selling used for $250 isn’t worth it to me. You can normally get 10% off the new price which takes it to $270. For an extra $20 plus tax more I’d rather get it new.
Weed only gives you the illusion that it’s enhancing your creativity.

robotfunk
Veteran Wiggler

Post by robotfunk » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:09 pm

Agree. I don't pay VAT so new is 21% off already. Second hand is rarely much cheaper, and buying from a company has a lot of benefits from a consumer, like warranty, return policy, fast shipping &c.

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by BananaPlug » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:00 pm

There's also the argument that relocating an unwanted module to a new user is simply more efficient in the grand scheme of things.
(Sounds)--> :eek:
Misconstrued comments taken out of context may offend some readers

kvmet
Learning to Wiggle

Post by kvmet » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:08 pm

levelhead3 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:54 pm
Perhaps modules that are still technically in production but in practice are impossible to find new retail.
This one resonates with me. I have totally given up on some modules because they are too expensive secondhand and not in stock anywhere for months on end. I wonder if they only really wind up fulfilling wait-list orders.

advrsry
Common Wiggler

Post by advrsry » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:27 pm

Sometimes people really price to sell a second hand item, that's usually when it's worth it. Most of the time however people are buying things with the mindset that they can always sell for about what they paid so they buy everything and we get this ridiculous market.

Tofupancho
Common Wiggler

Post by Tofupancho » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:42 pm

It seems like every listing gets a dozen lowball offers. Retail has proven that people are a lot happier feeling like they got a deal. Or perhaps there’s a spouse forcing the sale but they get to keep it in the case until it moves. Mostly I think it’s just that nobody is all that excited about leaving money on the table.

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:12 pm

No tax seems to be the only reason to buy used. But also no warranty.

:despair:

I want some new fx stuff, but the prices of used are simply unbelievable. A new Meris Mercury 7 is $299, and Reverb wants $240 + $40 shipping??

Why would I deal with a shady dude to save $20?

Strangely, though, 2 years ago I couldn't find a used oscope for less than $300 plus shipping, and now they're everywhere for $40!! And for some reason now I own 4 of them...

:omg:
----------------------

Flounderguts

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:35 pm

BananaPlug wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:00 pm
There's also the argument that relocating an unwanted module to a new user is simply more efficient in the grand scheme of things.
But the financial burden shouldn't be placed entirely on the buyer. I see people selling used modules for around the same price as new, when they're in stock in stores, and for more than new when they aren't in stock (and sometimes even when they are). The former is silly, and the latter is downright predatory, not much better than ticket scalping and other similar schemes.
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:55 am

It sounds like it really depends on what you are looking for. I guess I unfortunately must be looking at gear that isn’t taking much of a hit in the aftermarket.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Sleepfc
Common Wiggler

Post by Sleepfc » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:09 am

It depends where you’re buying. I see a lot overpriced used modules that are seemingly out of hand. On the surface it might look shady that it’s so expensive but reverb will charge a seller for listing fees, payment processing fees and sometimes shipping labels fees as well. After all is said and done, a seller won’t make anywhere near their asking price.... sellers are usually having to overcharge that extra amount just to make up the money that is being taxed. Which is why when I see an expensive used module that I want, I always reach out to the seller and ask if they’re down to deal outside of reverb and do PayPal Friends and Family instead. This ends up being cheaper for buyers and sellers end up making more closer to their asking price

Sometimes it’s never as it seems. Fuck reverb haha

mrhooks
Common Wiggler

Post by mrhooks » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:41 am

I realize all of that - I've sold on Reverb before. Again, I don't think the financial burden (in this case, covering what Reverb takes) should be placed solely on the buyer, which is exactly what "overcharg[ing] by that extra amount" is doing (not to mention overcharging on shipping on top of that). Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of buyers who are okay with it. And not just on Reverb, eBay, etc. I've seen it here too.
WTB: original MI Rings panel
Also looking for someone willing to make a couple small changes to Rings firmware

Lux A Turner
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Lux A Turner » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:19 am

vadimred13 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:50 pm
I guess I haven't really seen it. There's definitely people attempting to sell used for about the same price as new, but those items tend not to sell. For items that actually end up sold, on average I see them priced at about 20-25% off the new price
That's my rule of thumb, too; although (as someone else pointed out the other week) it only really applies to higher value modules. If you're only going to save £10-20 buying used, then maybe it's worth buying new and getting the warranty.
kvmet wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:08 pm
levelhead3 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:54 pm
This one resonates with me. I have totally given up on some modules because they are too expensive secondhand and not in stock anywhere for months on end. I wonder if they only really wind up fulfilling wait-list orders.
Agreed. It's the variable availability that keeps used prices higher than they might otherwise be - especially this year.
Drillionaire wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:41 pm
The only scenario that comes to mind is buying a piece of gear secondhand made by a company you don’t want to support directly. I’ve seen that argument made for purchasing used gear from morally bankrupt companies.
That's a bit of a weak argument, though. Buying an 'unpopular' manufacturer's gear from anywhere still creates / supports the market for their products.

It may stop, but it never ends.

My Rack - v1.0

loydb
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by loydb » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:51 am

I agree with you. When I get around to selling the vast stack of Euro & gear I need to get rid of, I price at 65% (60% for local pickup), firm, and find it moves pretty fast. Someone trying to get me to pay 80% for something I can get new at 90% is ridiculous unless it's Cwejman or some other unobtanium.

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:07 am

The odd used gear pricing has really gotten out of control. It’s happening everywhere and now sellers are seeing those high prices on Reverb and eBay and trying to get near those prices. I now have to make offers on almost everything I buy used and typically still get things on the lower end of the price scale. It’s true though that some gear makes more sense to buy new due to shipping. But I would still take a 20% used discount if it’s in warranty period. Not 10%.

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:46 am

thevegasnerve wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:07 am
But I would still take a 20% used discount if it’s in warranty period. Not 10%.
Most warranties are *not* transferable. I once bought a bit of Arturia gear from someone who simply didn't like it after buying and registering it. I bought it from her, and when a keypad went south they insisted there was no warranty on "open box items."
I just took it to a local guitar center, and they swapped it.

It's the only bad customer experience i ever had with Arturia, but it is a cautionary tale about warranty "periods."
----------------------

Flounderguts

Drillionaire
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Drillionaire » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:31 am

Lux A Turner wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:19 am
That's a bit of a weak argument, though. Buying an 'unpopular' manufacturer's gear from anywhere still creates / supports the market for their products.
I didn’t say it was a good argument I meant it was the only reason I would personally ever pay anywhere near market price for a used piece of gear.

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:04 pm

I don’t see it here as much as FB, but it seems to be more and more common for people to try and sell currently available modules for 90% of the new price.
I try not to be that guy and crap all over people’s posts, but it’s hard when, like this morning, I see someone selling a 6 month old QPAS for a few dollars MORE than I could get a new one for with a Control Voltage 10% off coupon.

Kattefjaes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:16 pm

Zymos wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:04 pm
I don’t see it here as much as FB, but it seems to be more and more common for people to try and sell currently available modules for 90% of the new price.
I've seen people trying to sell things here for more than the new price from a legit dealer; one that you could find in a few seconds via google. Initially, I assumed they were just pricing based on some launch price memory and making an honest mistake that'd harm their chances of a sale.

However, the amount of abuse I received when I discretely (and privately) asked a seller if they'd meant to list something higher than the new price indicated otherwise. Clearly I am naive about some folks and their motives and very much hit a nerve.

That said, I've found some worthwhile bargains from very friendly and efficient sellers. The noob trappers seem to be in the minority.

ObfuscatedVisuals
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ObfuscatedVisuals » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:15 pm

Drillionaire wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:41 pm
I’ve seen that argument made for purchasing used gear from morally bankrupt companies.
Thats an interesting argument.. i have certainly sold some gear made by a company that I later learned had questionable beliefs.. or I just found the owner to be despicable. I one case I basically gave the equipment away because I didn't feel good about taking money for it. Also debated just destroying the gear.

In any case it wouldn't undo the fact that I had given money to that company in the first place. I would feel the same about buying it used and would be probably embarrassed to have the equipment. Imo owning and using the equipment would be still be showing support for that company even if you got the equipment for free.

ObfuscatedVisuals
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ObfuscatedVisuals » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:19 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:46 am
thevegasnerve wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:07 am
But I would still take a 20% used discount if it’s in warranty period. Not 10%.
Most warranties are *not* transferable. I once bought a bit of Arturia gear from someone who simply didn't like it after buying and registering it. I bought it from her, and when a keypad went south they insisted there was no warranty on "open box items."
I just took it to a local guitar center, and they swapped it.

It's the only bad customer experience i ever had with Arturia, but it is a cautionary tale about warranty "periods."
That's a good point.. I've certainly bought new especially for big ticket items to ensure its under warranty or from sellers with a return policy.

Another reason I might by used even though cost new is the same is if the new item is overseas.

Return to “General Gear”