Why buy used at recent market prices?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

ATW
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Why buy used at recent market prices?

Post by ATW » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 am

New modular gear works better for me when it involves cases, power supplies, and cables. The stuff that involves the distribution of power and signals to the system. I also want to be able to speak directly w/ the maker and have the benefit of a warranty or similar, initially.

Positive interactions with a maker, and/or a particular affinity for their business, philosophy, offering—can go pretty far in influencing future purchases. (Particularly when it involves the less exciting things like customer service, repair, etc)

And I'll happily buy used, *here*, having had very good experiences. Gear has consistently been well cared for + thoughtfully packaged & shipped. And there is an added benefit of trading info + experiences back/forth with someone who has actually used the gear, and in a context often quite similar to my own.

A bit of money is saved for all parties. Tax + listing + payment gateway fees add up over time. Not having those tends to encourage fair pricing.

MA-CHEW!!
Common Wiggler

Post by MA-CHEW!! » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:35 am

My rule with buying used is only buy it if you can resell it for more. :guinness:
WTB: more shit than I can afford!

khyber
Veteran Wiggler

Post by khyber » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:37 am

thevegasnerve wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:19 am
I agree this is small potatoes for environmental concerns, geez check your trash. Ha! this is coming from an environmental consultant. But just being a cool member of a great community is what we should be striving for. Dont take advantage of a short term situation if possible. Although some vintage stuff is creeping up big time.. If it sells, well thats just where we are at as more people enter the synth community, which I believe is still growing..
Totally! I didn't even get into the community aspect with my comment because I wanted to keep things concise with my environmental feelings.

Nothing fosters a community more than creating a sense of commerce and exchange among people in the community. And more than that, everyone here is super helpful and willing to give me their opinion or experience with a particular piece of gear before I buy. And in some ways I feel like I'm benefiting them (and the community to some extent) by dealing with the individuals here as opposed to an online retailer.

Not that I feel me buying something is charity to a seller either, but I've worked with people here who've been down on their luck, unemployed, had to pay for a sudden medical expense, etc and I get some sense of having helped someone in those situations. Also helping ensure the seller gets the full amount for their item is important as well (this is also why I leave cash tips at restaurants as opposed to writing it in on the bill).

But more than that, it's just a great group of people who are helping each other out here and I'm all about being part of that kind of a community and helping it grow to be as good as and as welcoming as it can be.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:38 am

MA-CHEW!! wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:35 am
My rule with buying used is only buy it if you can resell it for more. :guinness:
:agree:
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:56 am

... change of mind .. deleted the post ... 8-)
5U NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=

SCREW IT ... PULL THE PIN

xonetacular
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by xonetacular » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:59 pm

khyber wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:09 am
xonetacular wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:26 pm
From an environmental and sustainability side isn't it better to buy used instead of creating demand for even more electronic waste and environmental impacts from manufacturing and feeding the demand for companies to pump out endless new products every year? Is it really such a good thing that there are hundreds of synth companies racing to pump out "new" products just to compete with each other and beat the used market?
Despite some value-signaling from other comments, this is one of my main motivations for buying used instead of new. Electronics aren't built to order (with the exception of Natural Gate :hihi: ), a manufacturer does a run of X units. That's a sunk cost environmentally speaking, but if people resell items from the first run and the manufacturer doesn't have to create a second run of Y units, there's an environmental benefit there.

Is to going to change the world? No. Does it help foster a conscious consumer mindset? Absolutely. And that's a good thing. Also FWIW, boutique modular manufacturers aren't the net carbon emitters and e-waste generators of the world so please don't mount that high horse here. What's important is that people recognize their own impact on the economy, environment, etc and operate accordingly. Individuals can't impact the entire market, they can impact locally though.
Exactly- no, synth makers aren't having a major impact in the scheme of things, but it's a mindset and all these small industries and personal actions add up. Just saying there are way worse and bigger players affecting the environment and it's insignificant so we shouldn't worry about it is a cop out, and part of the reason why we are in the crisis we are in. Personal decisions do matter and are important in shaping larger attitudes and trends.

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:35 pm

xonetacular wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:59 pm
khyber wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:09 am
xonetacular wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:26 pm
From an environmental and sustainability side isn't it better to buy used instead of creating demand for even more electronic waste and environmental impacts from manufacturing and feeding the demand for companies to pump out endless new products every year? Is it really such a good thing that there are hundreds of synth companies racing to pump out "new" products just to compete with each other and beat the used market?
Despite some value-signaling from other comments, this is one of my main motivations for buying used instead of new. Electronics aren't built to order (with the exception of Natural Gate :hihi: ), a manufacturer does a run of X units. That's a sunk cost environmentally speaking, but if people resell items from the first run and the manufacturer doesn't have to create a second run of Y units, there's an environmental benefit there.

Is to going to change the world? No. Does it help foster a conscious consumer mindset? Absolutely. And that's a good thing. Also FWIW, boutique modular manufacturers aren't the net carbon emitters and e-waste generators of the world so please don't mount that high horse here. What's important is that people recognize their own impact on the economy, environment, etc and operate accordingly. Individuals can't impact the entire market, they can impact locally though.
Exactly- no, synth makers aren't having a major impact in the scheme of things, but it's a mindset and all these small industries and personal actions add up. Just saying there are way worse and bigger players affecting the environment and it's insignificant so we shouldn't worry about it is a cop out, and part of the reason why we are in the crisis we are in. Personal decisions do matter and are important in shaping larger attitudes and trends.

no, its not a cop out. its explaning the brutal realities of our environmental dilemma. if we dont abolish oil and gas industry asap, none of this will matter.. and again, I have some background to back up my position but whatever. thats the last i will say on this issue..

ObfuscatedVisuals
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ObfuscatedVisuals » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:07 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:27 pm
It would be nice to try before you buy...or something to that effect.
Modular grid except all the modules are software emulated.. kinda begs the question of why all this extra hardware and if analog is so great how far are you welling to take that?

Anecdote: The last pieces of gear I sold I used Reverb because the last time I sold a bunch of gear on ebay I got alot of penny pinchers and weird questions. There were several people who even though I did not offer local pickup inquired about it even though the shipping charges were minimal and not much chance of item getting lost or ruined .. at least not back then. Had at least one person tell me I asking too much to which my response was fine buy it from somebody else. Although I admit I have seen people trying to sell things for prices that didn't make any sense at all myself. By far the weirdest was the guy who accused me of having sniped a bid (a year prior) on the item I was selling just to turn it around to sell for a profit. I had however bought the items for the manufacturer.

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:21 pm

ObfuscatedVisuals wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:07 pm
By far the weirdest was the guy who accused me of having sniped a bid (a year prior) on the item I was selling just to turn it around to sell for a profit. I had however bought the items for the manufacturer.
Yeah, that's always a puzzling response.

I'm currently selling a bunch of bike parts on my local classifieds board. All the items I'm offering there are new, unbuilt parts that I acquired direct from manufacturer...since I work in the industry.

Day before yesterday some guy texted me about buying them, and then really lowballed me...like $20 for a set of hubs that cost me upwards of $400 and I had posted for $120. I said no, it's new, premium stuff. He then accused me of buying all the parts I was selling at a local thrift store, and marking them up!

I can't figure out if it's a real disconnect or a tactic.

And do people like your sniper guy actually think that accusing you of *anything* is going to help put them in your good graces?

People are weird.
----------------------

Flounderguts

ObfuscatedVisuals
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ObfuscatedVisuals » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:46 pm

Flounderguts wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:21 pm

I can't figure out if it's a real disconnect or a tactic.

And do people like your sniper guy actually think that accusing you of *anything* is going to help put them in your good graces?

People are weird.
Its probably a little bit of both.. i got burned buying these clay sculpture. The guy that i bought it from did a shitty job packing it and then claimed that it was made of metal and that it was a different color (it wasn't) and even though it was a handmade and a pretty unusual item I clearly had a broken copy and I was trying to rip him off. Anyway in the end I just glued it black together... mostly just super pissed that he didn't treat the sculpture with respect or me. What an asshole.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:49 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:05 am
IR wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:47 am
This is interesting. I'm not sure what you mean, you acted as middleman to ship an amp from Russia to the US? What kind of amp was it?
Nothing that exciting. I bought a cheap but weirdly nice transformer-coupled tube headamp made by a company in Moscow with no export capability- a friendly Russian helped surface ship it and avoid the Russian postal system causing havoc. It felt more cloak and dagger than it was- if you shipped it by air, they were more likely to open it, try to charge loads, but potentially massively delay/lose it too.

After a while, I never up with too many tube amps to fit on my desk, so I sold it, to a guy in the US. There was all sorts of terror from Fedex, as I shipped it in the original shipping carton (correctly labelled), but covered in cyrillic printed text too. It took a while explaining what it was, and translating address of the manufacturer etc. for them before they'd release it and deliver it to him. I was obviously happy to help, and he wasn't being a dick about it either, so we got there in the end.
I'm still kind of curious what company it was. Was it an amp head or a headphone amp? There is a huge difference.

And since they didn't export, the US buyer likely had to use a transformer.

naturligfunktion
Veteran Wiggler

Post by naturligfunktion » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:44 am

I like to buy and sell used items when it comes to gear. You can make pretty decent finds if you keep an eye out. It is very common though that people put out a thing with not even a 10 % discount. "Rarely used". Then I rather buy it new.

If I am selling I usually go for around 70-75 % of the market price. If it doesn't sell I lower the price.

It is fun to meet the people you are selling and buying from. Recently I sold an old interface to a Bosnian guy. He talked for twenty minutes about the possibilities to record an accordion. That was super fun

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:00 am

In France you'll find very often that used gear is sold at HIGHER prices than new (most likely because stupid greedy sellers don't bother checking current market value).

Hovmod
Common Wiggler

Post by Hovmod » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:27 am

My rack is about 80-20 (used-new).
I buy new if it is on sale and/or if it is something I can't find used. There is a fairly active modular community here in Norway, it turns out, enough that there are always quite a few used modules for sale, but the selection is pretty random and I can't expect to go online and just find what I want. So I look at what's for sale, google the modules I don't know, do a quick assessment of my needs vs current supply and impulse buy (or not).
If I am looking for something specific and I 'need' it fast (or, as is often the case, demand for those particular modules on the used market is high and I'm in fierce competition with other Nog Wigglers), I'll buy from one of the two or three local outlets. Taxes, shipping, and other fees normally prohibit going on Ebay or otherwise buy, whether it's new or used, from overseas.

I'm not going to get into the moral arguments you guys are having, but I have one thing I'd like to mention, and that is that I *love* to buy and try different modules, and I really like to imagine the modular scene as a living, pulsing, organic entity where lots of modules are always underway in the mail between us, eventually finding racks where they really belong and thus stay. I want to contribute to that, by buying and selling from my fellow enthusiasts, at least as much as I think about contributing to the economy of developers and producers of gear. I feel connected, and I've had many good conversations with buyers and sellers, much more than with any other equipment I deal with. So that's one reason to buy used, in my opinion.

Happiness Forever
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happiness Forever » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:44 am

For myself, I've come to enjoy letting the local synth store (Patchwerks, Seattle) sell my used items then have the money be returned as store credit, thereby twice supporting them. This is something not afforded everyone, granted, but since it is for me I utilize it and find the situation productively happy. Plus in this day and age I get to talk to someone about synth gear for a minute, hahah.

!MONDO ANTHEM!
Live Large, Live Often.

thevegasnerve
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thevegasnerve » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:38 am

Happiness Forever wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:44 am
For myself, I've come to enjoy letting the local synth store (Patchwerks, Seattle) sell my used items then have the money be returned as store credit, thereby twice supporting them. This is something not afforded everyone, granted, but since it is for me I utilize it and find the situation productively happy. Plus in this day and age I get to talk to someone about synth gear for a minute, hahah.
thats awesome. I had a store like that on east coast, swapped used gear a lot..

Flounderguts
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Flounderguts » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:44 am

Deleted
Last edited by Flounderguts on Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----------------------

Flounderguts

Kattefjaes
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:13 pm

IR wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:49 am
I'm still kind of curious what company it was. Was it an amp head or a headphone amp? There is a huge difference.

And since they didn't export, the US buyer likely had to use a transformer.
Headphone amp. Yes, but getting a step down transformer was the buyer's problem, not mine, I warned him.

It was one of these (it's surprisingly hard to do transformer-coupled cheaply without it sounding shit, it's a black art):

http://laconiclab.ru/laconic_night_blues_mini.html

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:42 pm

IR wrote:
Ceres wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:39 pm
I’ve sold gear on reverb that can be acquired new for the price I it sold for. :hmm:
So you ripped people off, and are recommending they don't buy from you?
That’s an interesting take.

I posted items on reverb for the going rate on reverb just like most people do. I actually priced them a little less than other items so they would sell quickly. There is nothing deceptive about this. I did not force anyone to buy from me and I am not preventing anyone from shopping around. Here I am creating a thread exposing this issue.

Edit: also keep in mind that I get hit with all the Reverb fees so really it’s not like I am walking away with all the money. I’d rather sell outside of reverb but it seems few people are buying outside of reverb these days.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

XXXEsq
Wiggling with Experience

Post by XXXEsq » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:40 pm

The first synth I ever bought back in the late 70s (Moog IIP) was used, and I still have it!
I've never bought another used synth, although I have bought a few used modules, some peripheral stuff (e.g., a pair of Mackie extenders), and guitars without issue. I bought a used Godin ACS a few years ago for a really good price and it showed up perfect - as in like new.
I only buy used if its something I really want, the condition is perfect, the price is right, and the seller agrees to some reasonable refund policy just in case.
I just don't understand why people buy used gear for 70-80% of retail. (Obvious exceptions for vintage collectibles...)
First off, most dealers will sell new gear at a discount if you just know how to ask... (I ran the kbd dept at GC in the late 70s) Then there's always demo or B stock which usually come with a full warranty. Most larger dealers do holiday sales where 20% off is the norm.
I was seriously considering buying an Octatrack a few months back. There were 3 used ones here and several on Reverb and FleaBay that the sellers wanted more for them than I could get a brand new one for from Sweetwater.
I've also sold a few pieces here and there. I price the stuff based on age, condition and how much I just want it out of the house... Only had one problem where a guy I sold a module to accused me of something underhanded that I didn't do and had video to prove it. The moral of that story is always run video when putting things in shipping boxes! :)
Moog IIP, One 16V and MiniMoog, DotCom/FSFX/Moon/STG 110, Cubase 10.5/64, Ableton Live 10/64, W10Pro/64, i75820/GigaX99SLI/16Gigs Hyper-X, 3xSSDs, 2xMR816, MidiExpress128, Expressionist, Social Entropy Engine, Novation SL61MKII, SL49MKII, HPD15, HR824s, NS10Ms, Analog Rytm Mk II, Komplet12, Omnisphere 2.6, RMX, Trillian, Analog Lab, MMV2, Z3ta+, Axon AX50, Customized Variax JTV69s (the Hexstainocaster), 700, Strat, Godin ACS Slim, Helix.

IR
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by IR » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:59 am

Ceres wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:42 pm
IR wrote:
Ceres wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:39 pm
I’ve sold gear on reverb that can be acquired new for the price I it sold for. :hmm:
So you ripped people off, and are recommending they don't buy from you?
That’s an interesting take.

I posted items on reverb for the going rate on reverb just like most people do. I actually priced them a little less than other items so they would sell quickly. There is nothing deceptive about this. I did not force anyone to buy from me and I am not preventing anyone from shopping around. Here I am creating a thread exposing this issue.

Edit: also keep in mind that I get hit with all the Reverb fees so really it’s not like I am walking away with all the money. I’d rather sell outside of reverb but it seems few people are buying outside of reverb these days.
I was kind of joking.

People price them really high on there, something like the actual selling price being 60% of what they ask on many items. A lot of stuff doesn't sell and is listed for years, and they won't accept offers that low anyway. Plus some people calculate shipping like their items are made out of granite.

For new items I certainly would not consider them. Even if the price is the same as a bigger internet music shop, you always pay shipping on reverb while bigger retailers offer free shipping if you buy a total that costs a couple hundred, or even lower if you're in the same country.

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:49 am

Muffwiggler used to have a much more active buying and selling community. When I got in to modular you could find more here than anywhere else. There was a lot of trust here that has probably eroded as more people have joined the community. Granted, there were always people taking advantage of that trust here. It definitely was not all roses.

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:12 pm

I mentioned this in another post but I just realized that Reverb does not post the actual selling price of items sold below asking price (from an accepted offer). Reverb only publishes the listed prices when sold. I verified this on items I sold after agreeing to a lower offer price. They show up as sold at the listed price, not the lower price we agreed to.

This definitely skews what you might think things have sold for and it undoubtedly has a cumulative affect of making people believe items are selling for more than they do, which in turn can causes prices to rise. With this in mind, I would not trust Reverb sold prices as an accurate indication.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:59 pm

Ceres wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:12 pm
I mentioned this in another post but I just realized that Reverb does not post the actual selling price of items sold below asking price (from an accepted offer). Reverb only publishes the listed prices when sold. I verified this on items I sold after agreeing to a lower offer price. They show up as sold at the listed price, not the lower price we agreed to.

This definitely skews what you might think things have sold for and it undoubtedly has a cumulative affect of making people believe items are selling for more than they do, which in turn can causes prices to rise. With this in mind, I would not trust Reverb sold prices as an accurate indication.
This is deliberate no doubt. Higher prices = higher fees. But there's no other standardized way aside from ebay to check sales prices, so you're totally at their mercy. Saying that, they seem to include most sold listings (even if you don't know date), whereas Ebay seems to have also dramatically shortened their sold listings timeframe. The whole thing is a wonderful example in how corner and then manipulate a market in a capitalist society.

Getting back to original point--the non-existent discounts on used things seems to be a recent, direct result of Covid. You have a lot of people who are either sitting at home all day with time on hands to buy OR have very little income and so see even $20 off as a solid discount. Seems to be particularly the case with the sub-$1000 gear market.

EDIT: Reverb does show the sold for price in the case of lowered prices, but not best offers (I think?)
Benjamin Vraja (1950-1996) - Anthology: https://benjaminvraja.bandcamp.com/album/anthology

Ceres
Common Wiggler

Post by Ceres » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:58 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:59 pm

EDIT: Reverb does show the sold for price in the case of lowered prices, but not best offers (I think?)
Yes, this is what I am seeing. If the seller lowers their asking price, that is recorded on the sold items. However, if the seller accepts an offer below their asking price, that is not displayed on the sold items. It makes it appear that they sold for asking price. In the case of one item I sold recently, there is a very significant difference in the price I accepted versus what is appears it sold for on Reverb!

Return to “General Gear”