Oberheim Xpander and modern analogue synths

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Oberheim Xpander and modern analogue synths

Post by nuromantix » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:15 am

I have an Oberheim Xpander. I love the interface and the flexibility and power of the modulations and the possibilities with stepping through 6 different voices as you play through a sequence etc etc. Don't love the slow processor and the fact it seems to need servicing almost every other year.

I haven't really tried many modern synths but it looks like they have lots of modulation flexibility. What would I be losing if I sold it and bought an OB6 or Prophet 6 or something? Do they really sound weaker than old synths? The Xpander is nice but it's not instant WOW like an OBx or a Prophet 5.

Would love thoughts from people who have owned an Xpander and also modern synths.

For analogue polys I also have Juno 6, JX3P, Polaris, MKS80+MPG80 so I have the basics covered.

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Oberheim Xpander and modern analogue synths

Post by nuromantix » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:18 am

AND: Can you do stuff like modulate the attack or decay time of an envelope on any modern synths?

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:49 am

only paraphonic, but there is the motas-6. digital - polyphonic but not multimbral, but the modulation routings in the hydrasynth are pretty great. there are others - i don't much like the core sound (then again, don't much like it on the xpander either), but there is the prophet 12.

of course, no feature set will be an exact match, and I honestly don't remember whether the prophet 12 allows individual envelope component modulation, etc. But i think that overall there is more of an attempt recently to allow the user lots of modulation flexibility.

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nuromantix » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:21 am

Hmm yeh Prophet 12 looks most likely. Hydrasynth intrigues me but a very different vibe I think.
Paraphonic = no go for me!

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:34 am

i should note that while the motas-6 is 'only' paraphonic (and that requires that the patch be set up for it), the modulation routings are truly phenomenal. I should also mention the wavestate, though that is an even more digital vibe than the hydrasynth. But the mod routings are extremely comprehensive. but the ui is a bit troublesome....

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:20 am

Andromeda. If it counts as a modern synth. At least it's analogue.

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:35 am

I've done what you are doing (finding a "better, more hands-on" xpander/M-12) many times over, from DSI all the way up to the "big" polys, pro-5, new ones like the River, etc., and come up short every time. If you love the tone and mod possibilities, you really aren't going to find a replacement.

Stuff like the Pro-6 and OB-6 are great from a UI perspective, but they are still modern-sounding polys (not to mention simple) and you will not get the same classy tone.

Especially given all your other polys, you are really not exactly lacking in great options, but you do have a lot of roland. If you really hanker for something more aggro-wow and hands-on, I'd ditch the chroma and either the 3P or juno-6 and get a prophet-600.

OR... do the same and also sell the xpander and try and fine a more reliable M-12. I have never had any real issues with my xpander and now my M-12, and needing regular servicing is not normal for these. Plus the extra voices give you that "extra" that you need for truly epic pad sounds.

OR (one more or) grab one of the new Abstrakt VS-1s--it's an OB-X clone with extra modulation options (2nd LFO, etc.).
Last edited by Sir Ruff on Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:58 am

steffengrondahl wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:20 am
lots of modulation. lousy ui.

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:37 am

not a ton of people agree with me but-- elektron a4-- i still think this is one of the best analog polysynths out there for the money. you'll lose 2 voices ofc but i personally love the tone of the thing, and the mod routings are plentiful (you can definitely modulate envelope stages). the mk1's and keys are had for insultingly cheap these days. many argue that the tone of the mk2 is superior, i personally have no problems getting fat juicy huge tones out of my mk1. mk2 and keys have individual outs for the voices if you want that full xpander vibe (though i don't think you can do that auto pan round robin trick that the xpander defaults to-- someone correct me if i'm wrong).

every DSI synth i've had i ended up selling... just don't find them fun or inspiring to use and usually paired with a boring tone.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote: What do you mean by 'really is'? You mean, what do I look like? Just look in a fucking National Geographic.

phesago
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phesago » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:41 am

dogoftears wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:37 am
elektron a4
I 100% agree on this. It might be old news now but its a fantastic synthesizer that could easily replace xpander (I mean I still have an xpander and 2 different versions of an a4, why limit yourself? lol)
"it is about holding people responsible when they are shitty and do shitty things." -MoogProDG

"I personally find this misquote humorous b/c whats his nuts complained about being ripped off and I get to help do it again LOL"

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:47 am

elektron a4 - not everyone gets on with the elektron stuff. If you like the workflow, and you like the sound, this is a good choice. I, personally, do not like either.

phesago
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phesago » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:48 am

Even if its just a stand along module and you do everything in the box its still fantastic. But if you dont like the sound then there's no hope lol
"it is about holding people responsible when they are shitty and do shitty things." -MoogProDG

"I personally find this misquote humorous b/c whats his nuts complained about being ripped off and I get to help do it again LOL"

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:02 pm

To provide the same type of sonic flexibility as the 15-mode filters in the Xpander, you're probably going to need something that has at least two filters per voice, that are (or can be) different filter types, and that can be routed in either serial or parallel.

Other than the previously mentioned Andromeda, there's the Novation Summit or the new Arturia Polybrute. Or the Moog One.

If you decide it doesn't have to be analog there's several more options. Like an Alesis Ion, which is quite cheap and really is quite powerful.

But if you make patches that rely heavily on the huge quantity of VCAs scattered throughout the Xpander's voice architecture, your options are very limited and you'll need some kind of digital virtual modular, like a Nord Modular.

phesago
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phesago » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:06 pm

I keep forgetting the Alesis Ion is a thing. It really is a nice little synth. Def a decent choice

Sir Ruff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:11 pm

phesago wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:06 pm
I keep forgetting the Alesis Ion is a thing. It really is a nice little synth. Def a decent choice
I keep forgetting about the Moog One :hihi: Honestly, if I was thinking of buying an xpander or M-12 today, that's probably what I would be looking at.

(Ion is a great synth as well.)

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:17 pm

no synth will match the exact functionality of the xpander. The xpander will not match the exact functionality of more powerful modern synths.

is that really the point?

phesago
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phesago » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:22 pm

edited bc someone doesnt like my nonsense :'(
Last edited by phesago on Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:26 pm

please remove. I really do not like when comments are edited. Obviously I didn't say that, and there is the possibility that someone will see that quote and conclude otherwise.

phesago
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phesago » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:38 pm

edited because I said i would :(
Last edited by phesago on Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phesago
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phesago » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:02 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:56 pm
you've succeeded in annoying mE. thanks.
YAY! YIPPIE!!!!!

:sb: :goo: :party: :bananaguitar: :bacon:

steffengrondahl
Wiggling with Experience

Post by steffengrondahl » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:03 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:58 am
steffengrondahl wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:20 am
lots of modulation. lousy ui.
Fully agree. I don't miss mine at all.

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:07 pm

phesago wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:02 pm
Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:56 pm
you've succeeded in annoying mE. thanks.
YAY! YIPPIE!!!!!

:sb: :goo: :party: :bananaguitar: :bacon:
making mental note. I have little respect for people who deliberately post false stuff simply in order to piss people off. I'm sure you're cheer, which is precisely my point.

Edit - noticed your slight tweak to my post. Classy.

phesago
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phesago » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:07 pm
Edit - noticed your slight tweak to my post. Classy.
Honestly the only reason I made that post was for the slight edit. Glad my handy work was noticed.

im done now, "sorry" I was trolling you Mr Baboon. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did lol

Return to “General Gear”