Favorite Multitimbral VAs?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Favorite Multitimbral VAs?

Post by dooj88 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:27 pm

title says it all! what are you favorite unabashedly digital multitimbral virtual analogs? i've got an alesis ion that i love playing, and would like to double the fun. the catch here is i'm looking for more hands on control = more fun to tweak and do sound design, rather than having a row of multipurpose knobs like novation's ultranova or alesis micron. i think that was the strength of some of these early 2000s synths (though i'm not strictly looking for one from that era), the digital implementation allowed for a compromise of more knobs.

forget prices for now, just looking for ideas.

here's one's i'm aware of:
-novation supernova
-alesis andromeda (sorry wallet)
-elektron analog keys (though i've always been turned off by elekron workflows)
-prophet 12 (this is high on my list of contenders, demos i've heard are lovely. i'd even consider the module even though the controls aren't all that numerous.)
-polyevolver?

brands i'm not familiar with
-yamaha
-ensoniq (though most of these appear to be lacking in hands on control)
-out of the line of roland jd- or x-whatevers i'm thinking there would be one, but honestly i haven't looked into those
-i absolutely love the sound of the D50, but it doesn't look all that fun to program
-any from korg? i had the radias, but sold it pretty quickly due to the weird programming. would consider it again though since i did find the sounds really fun.

i've been lusting over a hydrasynth, but the monotimbrality honestly has pushed it back for me. ah well, maybe one day.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Favorite Multitimbral VAs?

Post by flashheart » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Only one of those listed (Supernova) is actually a VA, the others are analog or hybrid (PolyEvolver, Prophet12) :). Prophet12 is only bi-timbral, and Elektron and PolyEvolver are only 4 voice so at most you'll get 4 mono voices.
Most obvious ones:
Virus
Blofeld (admittedly not that knobby) and earlier Waldorfs.
D50 is 80s, monotimbral and pre VA (and the D05 gets you there). Other Rolands, Yamahas and Korgs of that period either aren't hands on or aren't multi-timbral.
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:40 pm

all the nords. 4 parts, 4 outs, all with morphing. lead 2, lead 3, and wave1 are all unique powerful synths with absolutely wonderful UIs, better then the ion imo (which is a great synth).

access virus-- any generation, they're all somewhat unique. 6 outs! UI not as good as the nords. different sound, not necessarily better or worse. but i never found them that much fun to use (compared to nords and other synths).

waldorf Q-- i've never actually used one, but the sounds my friend makes with one are unbelievable.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote: What do you mean by 'really is'? You mean, what do I look like? Just look in a fucking National Geographic.

gentleclockdivider
Learning to Wiggle

Post by gentleclockdivider » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:19 pm

NOrd modular g1 , I will never part with it , it's an awesome drummachine too

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:36 pm

no notion of how you like to make sounds?

I mean, I like multimbral in theory, but by needing 'va' you're quite narrowing it down. And then there are the sounds. I like mangling sounds, and having them respond with fluidity when I do so. I always found the nords to be stiff and artificial (in a really bad way) with intense modulation. I felt obligated to try a virus a couple of times, and was bored out of my skull, and hated the ui.

I have this feeling that, given that this seems to be the time for more powerful synths to be released, that the next year will be promising. But if not:

other comments: Blofeld - nice sound, but always felt underpowered to me, the lfos reset on every note - a show stopper for me. And it always seemed to struggle when you have lots of modulation going. I MUCH prefer the Q to all of the 'classics' mentioned.

I suppose you could look at the p12 as a va, since the oscillators are digital. Just like the waldorf q+ is usually talked about as a va, despite the analog filters. oh, right - only bi-timbral.

You so narrow your choices....if you're willing to spend Andromeda kind of money, why not just by 2 or 3 synths?

the Kodamo EssenceFm is multimbral and has tons and tons of voices. Oh, right. Not VA.

In terms of pure functionality, I highly recommend the hydrasynth. For well under the price of an andromeda, you could link up the keyboard and the desktop, and then add a waldorf q.

but yeah - for whatever reasons (I'm guessing keeping the cost down) the most interesting synths these days seem to be monotimbral and even monophonic.

GUM
Common Wiggler

Post by GUM » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:02 pm

favorite VA's:

Clavia Nord Lead 2x
Access Virus B
Yamaha AN1x
Waldorf Q
Korg Ms-2000

as far as 'sound design' goes, the Virus is probably your best bet imo: tons of modulation options / fx / filter types / vocoder /can process external audio.

blakeq
Common Wiggler

Post by blakeq » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:29 pm

Alesia ions are hard to beat IMHO.

Nords and access viruses are great

Waldorf q or micro q is worth looking at. Micro q has multi purpose knobs but editing isn’t bad

MoyaMoya
Common Wiggler

Post by MoyaMoya » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:35 pm

Coulda sworn the Andromeda was analog 2 osc per voice using custom Alesis voice chips :hmm:

anywho just got a Nova desktop in the mail!
can't wait to fire it up

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:44 pm

Not multi-timbral but I'd add Modal's Skulpt, and Craftsynth 2.0. I have the Craftsynth 2.0 (don't be fooled, it's a little beast) and I have added the Skulpt which is VA and 4 voice polyphonic, duophonic, or mono. So I guess together they make a duo-timbral synth of a sort.
Craftsynth 2.0 is a wavetable monosynth. Panel ui's require shift key to access certain alt functions though. But the Modalapp software option provides very direct control from a tablet and works great.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

mojopin
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mojopin » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:56 pm

Funnily enough I was thinking about this today. I've been looking at polysynths and got annoyed that you'll have these complex oscillators and then they get mixed before going to vca. Why? For example, the hydrasynth does this. Then I realized that multitimbral synths would fit the bill but that's not really what I want. It seems so dumb that the basic synth architecture is rehashed over and over. That Kodamo EssenceFm looks great and so does the prophet 12.

Blairio
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Blairio » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:12 am

I just picked up a Nord A1 Lead. It is VA, with up to 4 parts multitimbral, and with enough polyphony (26 voices) to make all 4 parts usable. Note also that each 'part' is a full patch.

unclebastard
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unclebastard » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:16 am

I had a Novation Nova IIX, six part multitimbral, outs for each voice, wish I'd never had to get rid.
Good deals with: Eremitalf, ben_hex, matttech, Elevator Sound

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:20 am

Alesis Micron ... there is at least one programmer made for it which offers (if I recall) 16 separate realtime control knobs.

And this duo seems like a treat ....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5U MODULAR NORMALIZING PROJECT (for your entertainment) viewtopic.php?t=78836&highlight=
.. as of Dec 8th 2020 on a break for a bit .. contact me via bamco60@hotmail.com if needed.
WELCOME TO 2021 .. THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:51 am

I'd second the Nord Lead 3 which I had (rack unit) until I dropped out of electronics altogether a few years ago. Whether you like the sounds or not is a personal thing, some don't, but the filters are very versatile, the modulation assignment function is very well thought out with midi-learn too as I recall, and the UI with encoders and led rings makes switching between parts really quick and foolproof. I don't know why more people don't use this approach, it just makes so much sense for a multi-timbral synth.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New album: OZ

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:56 am

novation supernova II
waldorf wave XT

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:07 am

samlrs wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:01 am
My personal favorite is Dave Smith Instruments OB 6 6 voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Its looks like a piece of masterpiece
sounds like a charm
and the feeling you get when you press something on it is undescribable
it is blatantly not a VA, and is it even multimbral?

MoyaMoya
Common Wiggler

Post by MoyaMoya » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:11 am

:omg:

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:53 pm

This is a bit off the wall, but ...

don't ignore how VA some romplers can be. For example, the KORG Krome will get you two digital oscillators, for which it offers pure waveforms, and then you get some LFOs and filters and envelopes to play with. It's pretty configurable, and then on top of it you get a very usable selection of effects and some performance expression capabilities. Multitimbral? 16 of them, and it'll give you dozens of full voices in polyphony so you have plenty of capacity.

The Kross is pretty similar in terms of structure, with a bit more limited effects, limited velocity layering and so on.

And of course the microkorg family is pretty VA as well, using the same general conceptual model.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:33 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:27 pm
title says it all! what are you favorite unabashedly digital multitimbral virtual analogs? i've got an alesis ion that i love playing, and would like to double the fun. the catch here is i'm looking for more hands on control = more fun to tweak and do sound design, rather than having a row of multipurpose knobs like novation's ultranova or alesis micron. i think that was the strength of some of these early 2000s synths (though i'm not strictly looking for one from that era), the digital implementation allowed for a compromise of more knobs.

-novation supernova
-prophet 12 (this is high on my list of contenders, demos i've heard are lovely. i'd even consider the module even though the controls aren't all that numerous.)
-polyevolver?
not really sure you fully understand what a VA is tbh.

anyway here we go :tu:
access virus series
nord lead, modular and wave series
quasimidi polymorph

lots of romplers / grooveboxes have massive amounts of multitimberal abilities as well.
Last edited by Red Electric Rainbow on Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:36 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:07 am
samlrs wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:01 am
My personal favorite is Dave Smith Instruments OB 6 6 voice Polyphonic Analog Synthesizer
Its looks like a piece of masterpiece
sounds like a charm
and the feeling you get when you press something on it is undescribable
it is blatantly not a VA, and is it even multimbral?
hell yeah 1-post wiggler for the win. welcome to the board samlrs

:cloud:

0506411A-C7DF-4D55-8BAE-8E19FB265948.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TOO FAR GONE

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:41 pm

I like to bang on objects with a stick.

But anyway.

The Virus is hard to beat indeed, the Kyra isn’t quite well developed enough to do so (still intriguing imho).
Love the Blofeld as vfm option.
Gaun Yersel!

dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dooj88 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:33 pm
dooj88 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:27 pm

-novation supernova
-polyevolver?
not really sure you fully understand what a VA is tbh.

anyway here we go :tu:
access virus series
nord lead, modular and wave series
quasimidi polymorph

lots of romplers / grooveboxes have massive amounts of multitimberal abilities as well.
i'm not a synth wikipedia and included a few erroneous examples, but my description made it very clear what i was looking for: tweakable multitimbrality. VAs seem to be a lower price than others, and i had it in my head there must be other cheap secrets from a couple decades ago lurkring out there. turns out not.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:10 pm

dooj88 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:14 pm
i'm not a synth wikipedia and included a few erroneous examples, but my description made it very clear what i was looking for: tweakable multitimbrality. VAs seem to be a lower price than others, and i had it in my head there must be other cheap secrets from a couple decades ago lurkring out there. turns out not.
your description was like kinda clear maybe and the thread is literally called “Favorite Multitimberal VAs” so you can see the confusion.

if you’re looking for cheap secrets you can tweak maybe start researching romplers and grooveboxes
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:21 pm

either way cant lose
TOO FAR GONE

0BSRVR
Common Wiggler

Post by 0BSRVR » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:23 pm

Nord Lead 2X, 3, 4