Sequentix Cirklon - what make it so desirable?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Sequentix Cirklon - what make it so desirable?

Post by Leverkusen » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:32 am

synthfanatic wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:27 am

With regards to functionality of the Latronic Notron that is lacking in the Cirklon - supersteps is definitely a unique feature that is missing. For those who haven't been lucky enough to have spent time with a Notron sequencer (I think less than 200 were made?) it's a function which allows the user to use a preset waveform to a specific step. You can program different waveforms to different steps on the same MIDI channel so that crosstalk between the waveform occurs which allows for unique effects. Examples where this can be applied include pitchbend, aftertouch, and MIDI delay; pretty cool and unique once you get the hang of it.

Another thing I like about the SAM-16 & Notron Sequencer is that they both lack screens. Everything is done via buttons and knobs which gives it a certain immediacy and allows you focus on the sequences more instead of getting lost in screens and menus... There are tradeoffs to this however since having screens and menus normally allows for more functionality...
I am not sure if I understand that waveform per step thing - like in MIDI LFO? Isn't that very near to the Circlons Aux events, if not replicable?
StrangeAttraction wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:31 am
What makes it so desirable?
1. Scarcity
2. Celebrity endorsements
3. It's probably very good
While I did not come across a lot of celebrity endorsement as I do with other devices, I get your point.

Though I am not sure if the fact that some people think that they are experiencing something like desire due to not being able to instantly get something that is owned by someone famous really does refer to the meaning of somthing being desirable...
Carrousel wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:31 am
Also, yeah....these threads are pointless. The info is all already available and it isn’t that hard to find at all
Well, I guess generally all info is already there and not that hard to find - the interesting thing about a forum discussion is how it is generally weighted and percieved by different people in a context with pros and cons and it-depends.

:tu:
Last edited by Leverkusen on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:42 am

Nelson Baboon wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:38 am
due to its shape, it cannot be almost sat on.
If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can almost sit on anything. - Michael Corleone.
Last edited by strettara on Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New album: OZ

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:46 am

Yes, perhaps I used celebrity "endorsements" in a broad sense here.
AFX, Steffi, being the most obvious examples but also countless videos on YouTube are showing Cirklon is the main hub of many a producer's operation.
It's marketing 101 (intentional or not).
I would say Cwejman has a similar concept. High-end devices, expensive, limited runs, famous people using them.
Leverkusen wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:32 am
StrangeAttraction wrote:
1. Scarcity
While I did not come across a lot of celebrity endorsement as I do with other devices, I get your point.

Though I am not sure if the fact that some people think that they are experiencing something like desire due to not being able to instantly get something that is owned by someone famous really does refer to the meaning of somthing being desirable...

revtor
Dialing it in..

Post by revtor » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:16 am

I think what makes it desirable is the fact that in any thread about sequencers the Cirklon is always noted as the ultimate.
The reality is, like Nelson said, that no one sequencer is the ultimate for everybody or any type of music or any sonic experiment. User interface and user experience on all of these machines varies widely so that comes into play.
Cirklon is quite powerful and should be able to handle most of what most people want to do with it, especially with a bit of deep programming. It all depends if that’s what you want to do when sitting in front of a sequencer.
Fellow North Jersey Synthaholic

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oldgearguy » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:51 am

Leverkusen wrote:
synthfanatic wrote:

With regards to functionality of the Latronic Notron that is lacking in the Cirklon - supersteps is definitely a unique feature that is missing. For those who haven't been lucky enough to have spent time with a Notron sequencer (I think less than 200 were made?) it's a function which allows the user to use a preset waveform to a specific step. You can program different waveforms to different steps on the same MIDI channel so that crosstalk between the waveform occurs which allows for unique effects. Examples where this can be applied include pitchbend, aftertouch, and MIDI delay; pretty cool and unique once you get the hang of it.

Another thing I like about the SAM-16 & Notron Sequencer is that they both lack screens. Everything is done via buttons and knobs which gives it a certain immediacy and allows you focus on the sequences more instead of getting lost in screens and menus... There are tradeoffs to this however since having screens and menus normally allows for more functionality...
I am not sure if I understand that waveform per step thing - like in MIDI LFO? Isn't that very near to the Circlons Aux events, if not replicable?

Yes and no. The Notron was one of the very few hardware MIDI sequencers to send out continuous controller messages ... continuously.
Most other machines let you program a CC value per step. A fast sequence with gradual CC number changes across many steps sounds OK. Slower tempos, less steps, and it starts to sound jumpy/granular because new values are only being sent on the step.

The Notron sends out those Superstep CC messages every couple clock pulses, so they're actually sending CC data between the steps so you get a very smooth/fluid feel.

One thing about the Cirklon that may or may not impact your love of it is that it can do a lot of things and control many devices, many tracks, lots of inter-track modulations, etc. Having all of that concentrated in a device with a small screen can result in a lot of stepping around from screen to screen, track to track, scrolling through note ranges, etc. In addition, (haven't used the v2 touch screen version, so it may be different) there's lots of button combos to be pressed/remembered and that may put some people off.

For me, I found it was better to have 2 sequencers - a step sequencer (Koma Komplex), and a linear/piano roll sequencer with a large screen (QY-700). Even though it slightly complicates the clocking/syncing, the division of labor helps me work faster and keep track of what's going on easier.

m0rb1d
Filtersweep Abuser

Post by m0rb1d » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:11 am

The sheer amount of I/O and ease of use. If you’re just sequencing a small setup then yeah it might be a bit much but if you have multiple pieces of gear from multiple eras of connectivity you will probably be using multiple sequencers together to control it all and personally that wasn’t for me. I was blown away at how on my first try I was able to sequence all my old cv gear, din sync only rhythm boxes, midi synths and VSTs and control messages via USB all rocking harmoniously and problem free.

Bath House
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Bath House » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:06 pm

- ties an entire room of gear together - vintage, modern, modular, MIDI, CV and gate, DIN sync, mono, poly, drum machines, etc. etc. etc. in a really seamless way. Everything is in sync and in tune thanks to CV scaling, rock solid timing. I see other sequencers that have so many tracks and abilities and then one measly MIDI out or one pair of CV and gate.

- fast workflow from idea to full song. Jam on encoders analog sequencer style, live play-in parts, and lay down TR-style triggers, capture them as scenes, and chain scenes into full songs.

- extremely deep sequencer if desired - sequence sequencers, flip the timescale and resolution, tracks look to other tracks and affect other different tracks based on what they see. A truly “modular” sequencer. You can “build” a Metropolis, Marbles, etc. depending on how you set up your accumulators, aux rows, etc. But it’s just as fast and easy to not do this and bang out simple sequences.

- cool user configurable MIDI console per instrument for live tweaking (track controls)

What sucks about it?

- you can’t record any of those live tweaks into your sequence, which is crazy

- editing poly data is a nightmare. It’s faster to re-record or even sequence in a DAW and just record the MIDI to your poly track.

- Colin is a scatterbrained genius; some ideas remain on the “to-do” list for 10+ years, and right when you think there’s a chance they do something wacky like move countries or decide to make a Cirklon 2 or discover that the CVIO boards #234890 through #234998 technically used one capacitor that causes a 10 uS ramp-up slew which no human being would ever notice in practice but it shows up on high-spec oscilloscopes used in laboratories and some German techno guy decided that means his Cirklon isn’t tight enough so Colin suddenly spends 5 months designing a hardware rev and rewriting chunks of the Cirklon OS to address this and answering endless questions about what it means and how can I order the replacement CVIO board because it might make mine tighter, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitude meanwhile “A better song mode” has been on the list for 12 years. It’s a ride, and this is what you’re signing up for.
Catholic Roland Modular New Age Acid:
www.goodglassrecords.com

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:44 pm

Bath House wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:06 pm
- editing poly data is a nightmare. It’s faster to re-record or even sequence in a DAW and just record the MIDI to your poly track.
i found this video insanely helpful for that.

TOO FAR GONE

gosh
Wiggling with Experience

Post by gosh » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:08 pm

Bath House wrote:
- ties an entire room of gear together - vintage, modern, modular, MIDI, CV and gate, DIN sync, mono, poly, drum machines, etc. etc. etc. in a really seamless way. Everything is in sync and in tune thanks to CV scaling, rock solid timing. I see other sequencers that have so many tracks and abilities and then one measly MIDI out or one pair of CV and gate.

- fast workflow from idea to full song. Jam on encoders analog sequencer style, live play-in parts, and lay down TR-style triggers, capture them as scenes, and chain scenes into full songs.

- extremely deep sequencer if desired - sequence sequencers, flip the timescale and resolution, tracks look to other tracks and affect other different tracks based on what they see. A truly “modular” sequencer. You can “build” a Metropolis, Marbles, etc. depending on how you set up your accumulators, aux rows, etc. But it’s just as fast and easy to not do this and bang out simple sequences.

- cool user configurable MIDI console per instrument for live tweaking (track controls)

What sucks about it?

- you can’t record any of those live tweaks into your sequence, which is crazy

- Colin is a scatterbrained genius; some ideas remain on the “to-do” list for 10+ years, and right when you think there’s a chance they do something wacky like move countries or decide to make a Cirklon 2 or discover that the CVIO boards #234890 through #234998 technically used one capacitor that causes a 10 uS ramp-up slew which no human being would ever notice in practice but it shows up on high-spec oscilloscopes used in laboratories and some German techno guy decided that means his Cirklon isn’t tight enough so Colin suddenly spends 5 months designing a hardware rev and rewriting chunks of the Cirklon OS to address this and answering endless questions about what it means and how can I order the replacement CVIO board because it might make mine tighter, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitude meanwhile “A better song mode” has been on the list for 12 years. It’s a ride, and this is what you’re signing up for.
Great summary. I was an early adopter but sold mine some time back (when downsizing over equipment). I do miss it and it taught me a lot about cool ways to sequence. I moved to Max and ultimately Kyma where many of my sequencers I build borrow concepts. Whilst ultimately you can do most things on Cirklon I found many relatively simple things a bit of a pain. The promise was always of rewriting code but it never came. Perhaps it has now, though last time I read manual it (this year) it didn’t appear so. Aux events very powerful but sometimes felt like a sledgehammer to crack a nut / you had to use several in combination to do something simple that a lot of other sequencers now offer.

Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Bath House wrote:
Oh boy! With you on this one; I am one of those curmudgeons who just don't get why a Cirklon 2 is so necessary. I don't see how much USB hosting and some more AUXes would add, compared like you said, just keeping on iterating and improving the workflow of the 1.0 machine. It's not like the 1.0 machine didn't sell. And now he has to support two branches of his project at the same time. Main thing I think it needs is external MIDI control (Track Value control, A/B Knob control, trackmuting, etc). But, still, gotta hand it to him that he did indeed implement a lot of requested features. Swapping tracks, which circulated for a long time on the suggestions board, is one that comes to mind. And it's his project and brainchild, after all, and he should do what he feels is important.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:17 pm

I thought there were very good reasons for doing the V2. The primary driver was the high failure rate they were getting with their screen supplier, which lead them to look for new screen providers and what that search indicated was monochrome LCD screens were a thing of the past and colour TFT screens were what the market was supplying in quantity and quality now. As they had run out of all the V1s, and the V1 is running out of memory to include all the enhancements everyone asks for, and there are I/O upgrades required to maintain future functionality, it all made complete sense to me.

In a world in which we own expensive pieces of hardware that never get bug fixes or promised basic functionality updates, I find Sequentix one of the better companies in that regard.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:35 pm

StrangeAttraction wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:46 am
Yes, perhaps I used celebrity "endorsements" in a broad sense here.
AFX, Steffi, being the most obvious examples but also countless videos on YouTube are showing Cirklon is the main hub of many a producer's operation.
It's marketing 101 (intentional or not).
I would say Cwejman has a similar concept. High-end devices, expensive, limited runs, famous people using them.
Leverkusen wrote:
StrangeAttraction wrote:
1. Scarcity

Yeah they are not endorsements in the normal sense, they just appear in a lot of hardware based studios which does say a lot. Sequentix does maintain an artists page with links to the artists' sites but there is no endorsement there, they just contact the artist and ask if they can provide a link. When you look at that list there are many artists unlikely to be swayed by popular opinion so it is some kind of testament.

I don't think the scarcity helps at all, I think that has been the biggest detractor for many people, given the endless complaints and hand-wringing you read, and it was never intentional as far as I can tell.

Rost + Licht
Common Wiggler

Post by Rost + Licht » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:04 am

After years of using a cirklon I can say even an MPC One is better. Also in tying a studio together. It's really a rather boring thing to sit down to. If someone seeks quick and joyful complexity and heaps more happy accidents I recommended the Polyend Tracker. That infamous Steffi jam people talking about here is rather cringe but a good example of what is doable with the cirklon without having to dive down the Marianne trench of menues and calculations as it seems with this sequencer to get any slight resemblance of sth you can come up with an max for live plugin seq in like 10secs.

StrangeAttraction
Wiggling with Experience

Post by StrangeAttraction » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:21 am

Yes, I believe the famous producers using Cirklons and scarcity is definitely unintentional and not by design (nobody paid them to use them), just the side effect of the product being really good.
All these three main factors create the desirability aspect to Cirklon.
Damn, now I want one as well 😭
Rost + Licht wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:04 am
After years of using a cirklon I can say even an MPC One is better. Also in tying a studio together. It's really a rather boring thing to sit down to. If someone seeks quick and joyful complexity and heaps more happy accidents I recommended the Polyend Tracker. That infamous Steffi jam people talking about here is rather cringe but a good example of what is doable with the cirklon without having to dive down the Marianne trench of menues and calculations as it seems with this sequencer to get any slight resemblance of sth you can come up with an max for live plugin seq in like 10secs.

Angroc
Common Wiggler

Post by Angroc » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:04 am

dubonaire wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:17 pm
I thought there were very good reasons for doing the V2. The primary driver was the high failure rate they were getting with their screen supplier, which lead them to look for new screen providers and what that search indicated was monochrome LCD screens were a thing of the past and colour TFT screens were what the market was supplying in quantity and quality now. As they had run out of all the V1s, and the V1 is running out of memory to include all the enhancements everyone asks for, and there are I/O upgrades required to maintain future functionality, it all made complete sense to me.

In a world in which we own expensive pieces of hardware that never get bug fixes or promised basic functionality updates, I find Sequentix one of the better companies in that regard.
Never heard that explanation before. Interesting, and I guess that makes a lot of sense! But still think I'll hold on to my V1 until a feature comes a long I can't live without. I am not one to use a whole lot of AUXes, usually.

If he was to make any kind of hardware add-on, I'd wish it would be an extra row of buttons for track selection and muting on a 1U rack we could place under the Cirklon, so we don't have to jump between pages when performing.

Leverkusen
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Leverkusen » Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:44 am

oldgearguy wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:51 am
Leverkusen wrote:
synthfanatic wrote:

Yes and no. The Notron was one of the very few hardware MIDI sequencers to send out continuous controller messages ... continuously.
Most other machines let you program a CC value per step. A fast sequence with gradual CC number changes across many steps sounds OK. Slower tempos, less steps, and it starts to sound jumpy/granular because new values are only being sent on the step.

The Notron sends out those Superstep CC messages every couple clock pulses, so they're actually sending CC data between the steps so you get a very smooth/fluid feel.
Thank you for the insight! That really is a great feature and should give more of a modular or analogue feel into midi sequencing. It reminds me of the additional inputs the ER-102 offers to mix external CV with its output on a programmable per step basis in different. I guess since I hardly use any standalone synths I never got to the point where I felt I miss something like this for the Criclon. Though I am very much anticipating the once demoed CV LFO function…probably in vain but then, most of the stuff that has been implemented over the last years has not even been on the table, when I decided to get mine.
Angroc wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:04 am
dubonaire wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:17 pm

Never heard that explanation before. Interesting, and I guess that makes a lot of sense! But still think I'll hold on to my V1 until a feature comes a long I can't live without. I am not one to use a whole lot of AUXes, usually.
As far as I understood his statements on the Sequentix forum, the display being outdated and therefore the hardware needs to get updated is very much the only reason for devloping the V2 at this point. Also he anoounced that both versions, while needing different firmware branches, will get full support and share the same functionality and feature updates (apart from the new screen features) as long as the V1 memory has free space to use, which is not only great and more than rare in the music device business but also a hint that planned scarcity is not something that he would think about.

rens
Common Wiggler

Post by rens » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:58 pm

I laughed until my head, lips, openMPT, live, and dark time fell out the window. Now I've got to get a cirklon. Damn. :)

solitud
Ultra Wiggler

Post by solitud » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:55 pm

I don't even use all the fancy P3 Aux stuff but the Cirklon is the only modern device that is irreplaceable for me.
Even if you just use it as a USB MIDI interface it's brilliant.
https://modulargrid.net | modular database
https://f0f7.net | online sysex librarian

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:56 am

Rost + Licht wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:04 am
Polyend Tracker, no thank you. I am just sticking to my Elektron Digitone, only 4 midi tracks, but it can do mostly everything I would ever need

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:18 am

I recommend checking out Loomer - Architect to anyone who's on the wait for a Cirklon, It's pretty much nullified any desire I have to get one when my place comes up in the queue as it can do so much more and I feel like my time is better invested here than learning yet another sequencer.
Check out my Motas-6 demos over at: https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector :love:

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:35 am

acidbob wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:56 am
Polyend Tracker, no thank you. I am just sticking to my Elektron Digitone, only 4 midi tracks, but it can do mostly everything I would ever need
have you considered getting the digitakt as your dedicated sequencer? im pretty sure it mimics the digitones sequencer but has 8 tracks instead of four.
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:37 am

Petajaja wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:18 am
I recommend checking out Loomer - Architect to anyone who's on the wait for a Cirklon, It's pretty much nullified any desire I have to get one when my place comes up in the queue as it can do so much more and I feel like my time is better invested here than learning yet another sequencer.
i think most people that are willing to wait for a cirklon or pull the trigger on a secondhand one are dedicated to having a hardware sequencer, not a VST.
TOO FAR GONE

acidbob
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by acidbob » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:39 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:35 am
acidbob wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:56 am
have you considered getting the digitakt as your dedicated sequencer? im pretty sure it mimics the digitones sequencer but has 8 tracks instead of four.
Yeah, I have strongly consideret it but think I would miss the chord function. Do you know if the digitakt can do this as well?

Petajaja
Common Wiggler

Post by Petajaja » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:26 am

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:37 am
Petajaja wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:18 am
i think most people that are willing to wait for a cirklon or pull the trigger on a secondhand one are dedicated to having a hardware sequencer, not a VST.
I was someone who was completely convinced that I only wanted to work with hardware but in this case, the pros outweighed the cons for me.. even if people are going to get the cirklon, I still recommend taking a look at it as it'd probably work nicely together with one too.
Check out my Motas-6 demos over at: https://soundcloud.com/retroreflector :love:

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:38 am

acidbob wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:39 am
Yeah, I have strongly consideret it but think I would miss the chord function. Do you know if the digitakt can do this as well?
i cannot confirm or deny. i can almost guarantee if you ask on the elektronaut forum you’ll have an answer pretty quickly.
TOO FAR GONE

Return to “General Gear”