Phasers

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

oldgearguy
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Phasers

Post by oldgearguy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:27 am

KSS wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:45 pm
Do you have a photo of one of the old couplers used in the unit?

The old optocouplers used lamps, and these burn out. It's not too hard to replace the lamp. Open it up and see what's there. Much easier than trying to replace an LED in a Vactrol. The CdS side rarely goes bad.

Edit: Grabbed a VTL3A47 lamp style Vactrol from the parts bin. It's about the size of a 2/3 AAA battery. The length is a clue to the incandescent lamp inside. Of course having the words "lamp" and "cell" om opposite ends is also pretty hard to mistake!

Before LEDs existed or were in wide use this style of optical coupling was common. It's seen often in old organs where it's discretely realized. Arranged on the PCB with a lamp in the center of four CdS cells. Then covered to keep ambient light out. JHaible duplicated this arrangement in his Krautrock Phaser. As also seen in the original he patterned his after. Buchla did also use this discrete arrangement.

With the passing of original Vactrols -and the differences still seen in thier supposed replacements- it's useful to know how to make your own.
------------
Something worth knowing and thinking about for modern designs is the difference in speed between an incandescent lamp and an LED. With the newer Vactrols seeming to fall short of the classics no longer available, consider using a lamp instead in your homegrown optocouplers."

*VacTec is a brand and Vactrol is one of its product names. The VacTec VTL3A47 I just pulled from the shelf is therefore a true "Vactrol". But the term optocoupler is more universal. Unfortunately it is also more often applied to the DIP style opto's used in data communications and industrial controls. Whihc usually have *much* faster-acting photodiodes or photo-transistors. Point is, one needs to be specific when talking about these kinds of devices.

And yes, their use in Phasers can truly be. stunning. ;)

Good points all. When I was repairing a Compact Phasing A I had to purchase new incandescents to get it to work again. The Roland cell is an LED.
Here is the part number/datasheet: https://www.datasheets360.com/part/deta ... 685124942/

I no longer have the SPH nor any of the dead parts.

flashheart
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flashheart » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:27 pm

Dr Gris wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:49 pm
The Hordijk Dual Phaser is indeed wonderful, too bad it's unobtainable last time I checked.
I know this is "General gear" and not 5U modular (Hordijk) or Eurorack (check out AJH Next Phase) so I would like to mention a not so well known stomp box, Maxon PH350.

//M
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but the Maxon is well known amongst phaser afficionados, even though I'm not particularly one I'd heard of it. Just looking it up sells for $300-500 (one on Reverb now for$650...), so I think it's definitely well known. ;)
I'm not buying a maths though, not my idea of fun...

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:07 am

Xomrys wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:40 am
My favorite which I unfortunately sold, is the Castle phaser, anyone else heard of it? 4,6,8 stage, very clean and versatile sound.
I think the Roland sph-323 is the closest equivalent.
But they are not clones. Castle was based on SSM filters.
I own a Castle III. Most versatile that I have. Each stage is so different. My EH units are pretty sweet, but the Castle is king. My uncle had a MuTron Biphase and ... meh. He did not have a Clavinet though.

I can't say I ever heard a 12/16 stage that I can remember?

Which are that?
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs, dotcom Q128 for 37.00
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

doombient.music
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by doombient.music » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:58 am

MindMachine wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:07 am
[...] I can't say I ever heard a 12/16 stage that I can remember?

Which are that?
I might be wrong but I think the EMS Synthi Hi-Fli has a 16-stage phase shifter built in.

I didn't count every single stage but this section of the EMS sounded amazing.

But not amazing enough to make me keep it.

Stephen

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:51 am

I love it.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:58 am

I once stumbled over a 4 stage analogue phaser made by a boutique manufactorer near to the Vermona HQ in Sachsen, Germany...all handmade, a discrete piece of gear made to last forever. I forgot the name and where I saw this, maybe somebody here knows anything about that...
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:43 pm

I have the Castle Instruments Phaser III stomp box version. It is a dream machine. Wanted it since I first saw it advertised in Contemporary Keyboard Magazine in the early 80's or late 70's I guess.

It is studio quality in a box. When I want less than studio quality I use the old EH Small Stone and Bad Stone pedals.

I had an old white Oberheim Phasor and it was ok - but just a speed control. Not sure what staging it even had. They are selling for $900.00? - what a joke. Any other single knob phaser is just as good. Just doesn't get you the big white box w/ classy logo. The three speed Oberheim/Maestro is ten times better and half the price.

Not aware of many 12-16 stage phasers. The Pittsburgh Modular line has one in Euro...

edit - near double post. Had two sessions open, responded to both - sorry.
Last edited by MindMachine on Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FS: Pedals and Euro modules, Delta Labs, dotcom Q128 for 37.00
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=233636&p=3287718&h ... e#p3287718

mg05
Common Wiggler

Post by mg05 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:18 am

Doe­pfer too. A-101-3 (12 stage phaser).

clusterchord
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by clusterchord » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:21 pm

these are my phasers,

small stone rev2 77
small stone rev3 79
phase 100 script
phase 90 script
phase 45 script
moog mf 103

im more into classic seventies deep space/jet sound of phasers. small stones have that classic ota sound, on the optocoupler end of things, one of the richest and lushest i've found is the script logo Phase 100. think TOTT, Wind & Wuthering and Gary Numan's Polymoog. other opto designs i tried tend to be drier and edgier for my taste (for example, mutron bi phase, or the 10stage maxon pt9 pro+ i sold)

moog is also classic ota on 6-stage. similar to small stone, but a dash deeper and darker. slowest possible swirl riding 12-stages is a thing of beauty, but its such a unique overwhelming sound, you cant just fit it everywhere. P45, the 2-stage MXR is also nice and liquidy on solina, when you dont want that jarre thing, but i like it best on clean fender amp/git tones. etheral tones. since its not as strong, it allows for high speeds without turning to a throbbing wobbley mess like many others do. P90 the 4-stage MXR is classic for the 70s california rhodes - steely dan etc. and as such least interesting to me. but i keep it arround for guitars as it can be wonderful with distortion, adding the animation without the space element from small stone, as another flavor.

ideally, i still would like to add a clone of Gerd Shulte's Kompakt A. they have 2/6 stage switch now. and thats pretty much the last one on my list. was never excited about the arp quadra thing. the swirl is strong and thick. so gets old fast.

my 0.02
- music for film, tv and theatre -

Return to “General Gear”