Prophet 5 is back....

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Prophet 5 is back....

Post by 3hands » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:14 pm

Oh my. This is a big announcement!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gum is fun, but not on a cat.

My minds an art gallery.

GrantB
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Prophet 5 is back....

Post by GrantB » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:21 pm

There was another thread here that kind of petered out, guess not many wigglers got them. I ended up getting the 10 voice and I love it!

induktor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by induktor » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:29 pm

I got the 5 and am very happy with it.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:55 am

3hands wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:14 pm
Where you been livin' man, Reseda?
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New album: OZ

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:05 am

:hihi:

The other thread is 20 pages.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:20 am

strettara wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:55 am
3hands wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:14 pm
Where you been livin' man, Reseda?
:cloud:
TOO FAR GONE

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:31 am

Haha oops!! Bloody hell sorry everyone!!! (Goes and hides back under my rock).

My minds an art gallery.

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 pm

Holy shit! Moog is reissuing the Minimoog!

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:29 pm

donato wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 pm

Ok you don’t have to be a dick about it. I get it. I’m in the middle of recording a full length, plus working full time, plus getting my masters full time. It just slipped under my radar.

My minds an art gallery.

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:37 pm

Love the dedicated VINTAGE knob instead of DETUNE on the updated versions. Neat lookin' ad. I hadn't seen it on the other thread. Thanks, 3hands.
Bandcamp | Website

This week's show: MLK DAY MELEE — The awful day in Denver CO history when there was a KKK riot.

Charlie Pickle Part 23:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:17 pm

P-5 Key + Module 3.jpg
Sequential Announces Prophet®-5 and Prophet®-10 Desktop Modules

San Francisco, CA—Jan 12, 2021—Fast on the heels of the reintroduction of its legendary Prophet-5 synthesizer, Sequential today announced that it has created a desktop version of the acclaimed instrument. As with the keyboard version, the desktop model will be available in both five- and ten-voice configurations, dubbed the Prophet-5 desktop module and Prophet-10 desktop module, respectively. They feature the same authentic vintage sound and front-panel controls as the Prophet-5 and Prophet-10 keyboards, but in a smaller form factor designed for portability and space-conscious studios.

“Our introduction of the Prophet-5 and Prophet-10 Rev 4 keyboards has been hugely successful. At the same time, a lot of people have been asking us for an easy way to fit them into a smaller studio space or into a touring rig,” commented Sequential founder and original Prophet-5 designer Dave Smith. “It was an easy decision to create a desktop module to fill that need. The great thing is, we managed to fit the same big, ballsy sound of the full Prophet-5 into a desktop model. It sounds every bit as awesome.”

Like the original, the new Prophet-5 and Prophet-10 modules feature two multi-waveform analog oscillators, analog resonant low-pass filters and amplifiers, and a filter and amplifier envelope per voice. Modulation is provided by a multi-waveshape LFO and Poly Mod, a ground-breaking modulation scheme for its time that allowed the filter envelope and oscillator B to be routed to a variety of destinations including filter cutoff frequency, oscillator A frequency, and oscillator A pulse width.

And just like the new Prophet-5/10 Rev 4 keyboards, the modules feature genuine Curtis VCOs and filters as used in the Prophet-5 Rev 3, as well as the Dave Rossum-designed SSI 2140 filter — the modern counterpart of the original SSM 2040 Rossum designed in the Prophet-5 Rev 1 and Rev 2. A Rev switch on the front panel allows users to switch between the two as desired.

Also present is the new Vintage knob, which loosens up the oscillators, filters, and envelopes from voice to voice as they typically are in vintage Prophet-5s. Users can dial in progressively more vintage character from a very stable “4,” as in Prophet-5 Rev4, all the way to “1,” as in Prophet-5 Rev1, which was the most temperamental of all Prophet-5s. The original factory sound set is included as well.

Other modern enhancements include velocity sensitivity and aftertouch to increase expressiveness, as well as MIDI and USB connectivity. Control voltage and gate ins/outs are also present for connecting modular synths and other gear. The new modules are housed in a premium-quality, steel case with hand-oiled sustainable black walnut heartwood trim.

Both modules will be available in February. The Prophet-5 desktop module has a US MAP of $2,499.
The Prophet-10 desktop module has a US MAP of $3,299.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:21 pm

1.jpg

everydaycurry
Common Wiggler

Post by everydaycurry » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:18 pm

donato wrote:
Psh, if only.

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:29 am

donato wrote:
I´m seriously waiting for a new batch of reissue Minis

Chopper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:40 am

anselmi wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:29 am
donato wrote:
Wait till you hear about what ARP did with KORG...

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:12 pm

Chopper wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:40 am
anselmi wrote:
donato wrote:
Wait till you hear about what ARP did with KORG...
:hmm:

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:42 pm

anselmi wrote:

You can thank Behringer for that never EVER happening. They caused the full sized Moog reissues to cease production. Pleased to see people still prefer the real thing. Go to reverb and see how much reissue minimoogs are going for presently, btw. They've doubled in price. Pretty sure that's the only run Moog will do for at least a decade.

I'd love some Model 15 reissues however. Probably will save up for a Synth Werk one with 901's in place of 921's

Prophet 5 desktop looks KILLER!!!!!
Last edited by EPTC on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bandcamp | Website

This week's show: MLK DAY MELEE — The awful day in Denver CO history when there was a KKK riot.

Charlie Pickle Part 23:

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:43 pm

yooooooo a desktop? that looks spicy

i always wished they'd done a knobby desktop/RM version of the poly evolver.. :(
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:48 pm

EPTC wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:42 pm
anselmi wrote:

You can thank Behringer for that never EVER happening. They caused the full sized Moog reissues to cease production. Pleased to see people still prefer the real thing. Go to reverb and see how much reissue minimoogs are going for presently, btw. They've doubled in price. Pretty sure that's the only run Moog will do for at least a decade.
in fact prices are incredible high for originals, so why Moog doesn´t take this chance to make money?
I think this is the right moment to make another batch
Boogs could sound close or identical, but it´s more than obvious that there is still a big market for originals and reissues. Look at how people jumped over the 2600

EPTC
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by EPTC » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:32 pm

anselmi wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:48 pm
in fact prices are incredible high for originals, so why Moog doesn´t take this chance to make money?
I think this is the right moment to make another batch
Boogs could sound close or identical, but it´s more than obvious that there is still a big market for originals and reissues. Look at how people jumped over the 2600
As someone with a lot of experience with original D's and fortunate to have gotten one of the few remaining reissues, I agree the remake nails every part of the original. As for a new batch, my guess is Moog won't do it. Why replay a perfect moment? I really think there's too many people now with Boogs to justify it. This is just a damage Behringer did to the market. I think they feel it's Behringer's fault there are no more reissues in production, so without this being a Behringer discussion, Moog will likely never make another Model D any time in the near future, on principal. My guess is reissues on the foogers in a new format will happen. It could be true, too, that Moog is out of parts for any large run on Model D's, too. But yeah, reissues and originals are both thousands more in the last year than they were before, which is funny, as there's literally 2000 more Minimoogs in the world.

I completely agree too, about the difference, creatively, of using a Moog over a Boog. It's like driving a car and playing with a small replica. Equal sounds but the experience is very different mentally, down to the switches and especially the dial response.

Now, KORG NEEDS TO MAKE MORE 2600, I have to say! That was a cruel tease giving people a week or so to commit to one of those. They sold out quicker than anything I've ever seen.

To keep this on discussion THRILLED about Prophet 5. Desktop us the Prophet X, Dave!
Last edited by EPTC on Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bandcamp | Website

Charlie Pickle Part 23:

3hands
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by 3hands » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:12 pm

anselmi wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:17 pm
P-5 Key + Module 3.jpg

Sequential Announces Prophet®-5 and Prophet®-10 Desktop Modules

San Francisco, CA—Jan 12, 2021—Fast on the heels of the reintroduction of its legendary Prophet-5 synthesizer, Sequential today announced that it has created a desktop version of the acclaimed instrument. As with the keyboard version, the desktop model will be available in both five- and ten-voice configurations, dubbed the Prophet-5 desktop module and Prophet-10 desktop module, respectively. They feature the same authentic vintage sound and front-panel controls as the Prophet-5 and Prophet-10 keyboards, but in a smaller form factor designed for portability and space-conscious studios.

“Our introduction of the Prophet-5 and Prophet-10 Rev 4 keyboards has been hugely successful. At the same time, a lot of people have been asking us for an easy way to fit them into a smaller studio space or into a touring rig,” commented Sequential founder and original Prophet-5 designer Dave Smith. “It was an easy decision to create a desktop module to fill that need. The great thing is, we managed to fit the same big, ballsy sound of the full Prophet-5 into a desktop model. It sounds every bit as awesome.”

Like the original, the new Prophet-5 and Prophet-10 modules feature two multi-waveform analog oscillators, analog resonant low-pass filters and amplifiers, and a filter and amplifier envelope per voice. Modulation is provided by a multi-waveshape LFO and Poly Mod, a ground-breaking modulation scheme for its time that allowed the filter envelope and oscillator B to be routed to a variety of destinations including filter cutoff frequency, oscillator A frequency, and oscillator A pulse width.

And just like the new Prophet-5/10 Rev 4 keyboards, the modules feature genuine Curtis VCOs and filters as used in the Prophet-5 Rev 3, as well as the Dave Rossum-designed SSI 2140 filter — the modern counterpart of the original SSM 2040 Rossum designed in the Prophet-5 Rev 1 and Rev 2. A Rev switch on the front panel allows users to switch between the two as desired.

Also present is the new Vintage knob, which loosens up the oscillators, filters, and envelopes from voice to voice as they typically are in vintage Prophet-5s. Users can dial in progressively more vintage character from a very stable “4,” as in Prophet-5 Rev4, all the way to “1,” as in Prophet-5 Rev1, which was the most temperamental of all Prophet-5s. The original factory sound set is included as well.

Other modern enhancements include velocity sensitivity and aftertouch to increase expressiveness, as well as MIDI and USB connectivity. Control voltage and gate ins/outs are also present for connecting modular synths and other gear. The new modules are housed in a premium-quality, steel case with hand-oiled sustainable black walnut heartwood trim.

Both modules will be available in February. The Prophet-5 desktop module has a US MAP of $2,499.
The Prophet-10 desktop module has a US MAP of $3,299.

Oh man that looks fantastic. Ugh!!!

My minds an art gallery.

rustyjaw
Common Wiggler

Post by rustyjaw » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:00 pm

I pre-ordered a 10 desktop. By a factor of 2, the most expensive synth I've ever bought (unless you count the Eurorack I've built over time), kinda had to talk myself into hitting 'checkout' - but fuck it I'm 52 and you only live once, I'm ready for something substantial.
Synth Enthusiast | Abandonment Photographer

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:26 am

rustyjaw wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:00 pm
fuck it I'm 52 and you only live once, I'm ready for something substantial.
:sb:

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:34 am

anselmi wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:26 am
rustyjaw wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:00 pm
fuck it I'm 52 and you only live once, I'm ready for something substantial.
:sb:
Yeah that's how I felt (60 here) about getting the Pro 3. And the C15. And the VPC1... turns out age is a helluva good excuse for caving to GAS :lol:
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

New album: OZ

Xmit
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Xmit » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:34 am

^

exactly - that's the spirit ! Last year was my 50th year - hence despite feeling incredibly nervous about parting with that much cash on a single purchase, I jumped on the KARP2600 last January. And I don't regret a penny of it .... Like you say, you only live once.... :sb:

Return to “General Gear”