Roland Verselab MV-1

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe., lisa

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Roland Verselab MV-1

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:56 am

for everyone that needs song mode. another roland product with some random letter number combo slapped at the end of it.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/verselab_mv-1/
TOO FAR GONE

nuromantix
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Roland Verselab MV-1

Post by nuromantix » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:27 am

It's quite a move up from the MV-30 isn't it?

dBVelocity
Common Wiggler

Post by dBVelocity » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:33 am

Or the beastly MV-8800?

johny_gtr
Ultra Wiggler

Post by johny_gtr » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:13 am

Old noise: why these modern grooveboxes from big companies looks the same:))
modular percussion and scapes - http://ovod.bandcamp.com
mu modular space electronica https://7k-ok.bandcamp.com

baboo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by baboo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:29 pm

I have serious GAS over this product, although I should probably read the manual and watch some videos first

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:37 pm

They never did follow up the MV8000/MV8800. God I GAS’d for those back in the day.

Looks interesting, and I know it’s supposed to pair with a laptop or tablet, but they could have been a bit more generous with the screen!

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:40 pm

The ad copy, groan

“Music production can require a lot of time, money, and expertise. And for many new producers, it’s hard to know where to begin. VERSELAB has everything you need to make radio-ready tracks without all the complications, so you can focus on what matters most—your music.”

The time, expertise and complication IS the music otherwise it’s just music by numbers.

Colouring in!

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 pm

tioJim wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:40 pm
“Music production can require a lot of time, money, and expertise. And for many new producers, it’s hard to know where to begin. VERSELAB has everything you need to make radio-ready tracks without all the complications, so you can focus on what matters most—your music.”
what a piece of shit
roland always making new merits to earn my disrespect

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:50 pm

Oh man that tiny screen is killing me. I generally like the way Roland machines sound, but that 2 line display has no place in the year 2021.

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:58 pm

It doesn’t take time.

It doesn’t take talent.

DON’T be dedicated.

You can ooze your way to the top!

(((EMP)))
Common Wiggler

Post by (((EMP))) » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:02 pm

RickKleffel wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:58 pm
It doesn’t take time.

It doesn’t take talent.

DON’T be dedicated.

A music production workstation for people who can’t be bothered with music production. :omg:

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:25 pm

(((EMP))) wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:02 pm
A music production workstation for people who can’t be bothered with music production. :omg:
everything we can ever want in one box
TOO FAR GONE

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:30 pm

anselmi wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 pm
tioJim wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:40 pm
what a piece of shit
roland always making new merits to earn my disrespect
lolz :lol:

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:58 pm

This product is not really for producers. It looks like a great fit for songwriters as they can crank out demos with this thing. I watched the video and they put in a lot of vocal effect options so to me it is clearly geared towards that type of work. Most songwriters I know who write for labels are always having to write that derivative Future Bass/Trap/Modern R&B type of stuff and this looks like plug n play for that.

It also has the wretched UI like the Mc707 has. Nothing more miserable than trying to program synth sounds in that thing, and the zencore sound is not really that inspiring to me.

Not to totally bash Roland, they made a great machine with the Tr8s, which I love. I just hate the UI of their machines so I usually tune up sounds in the Tr8S and then sample into an elektron box for sequencing and arranging.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:15 pm

SingIt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:58 pm
Not to totally bash Roland, they made a great machine with the Tr8s, which I love. I just hate the UI of their machines so I usually tune up sounds in the Tr8S and then sample into an elektron box for sequencing and arranging.
if you already tuned up your drum sounds in the tr8s why wouldnt you just use it to sequence them? it’s literally the easiest drum box to use and quite capable.
TOO FAR GONE

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:39 pm

Red Electric Rainbow wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:15 pm
SingIt wrote:
if you already tuned up your drum sounds in the tr8s why wouldnt you just use it to sequence them? it’s literally the easiest drum box to use and quite capable.
Because I like to process and sequence them in the anlog rytm more.

Northward
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Northward » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:36 am

dBVelocity wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:33 am
Or the beastly MV-8800?
This.
It’s devolvement. All the newer grooveboxes from (the company formally known as..) Roland are ridiculously under specced with their tiny screens and inaccessible synths.

I’d say even a talented tween starting out will outgrow this thing very fast with it’s generic sounds and train track sequencer.

NAMM coming up- it can only get better innit.. :party:

JuliusRe
Common Wiggler

Post by JuliusRe » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:49 am

I don´t really get these "all-in-one" devices. If one wants something like that, why not use a (much more capable) computer?

Don´t get me wrong - i love my hardware :mrgreen: But the Verselab just seems like one big compromise to me. If i want hardware, i want it to do a specific job really well. Not some kind of DAW light :despair:
FS/FT (EU): Bastl Instruments Waver (230€), Ladik F-510 Synare VCF (70€) - open for offers :guinness:

tioJim
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by tioJim » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 am

SingIt wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:39 pm
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:15 pm
SingIt wrote:
Because I like to process and sequence them in the anlog rytm more.
And I don't think anything comes close to the Rytm sequencer, TR8s included, in terms of parameter locks, odd measures, polyrhythms etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. I only have the Rytm.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:27 am

tioJim wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 am
And I don't think anything comes close to the Rytm sequencer, TR8s included, in terms of parameter locks, odd measures, polyrhythms etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. I only have the Rytm.
dont get me wrong, the AR is fun, but i personally dont like being boxed into the elektron workflow paradigm. it has its pros and cons. theres plenty of other drum machines that can do parameter locks and polyrhythms etc. but i’ll admit elektron can you get you there faster once your familiar. personally, i dont think the AR sounds that good without loading it up with other drum samples. that and parameter locks are its saving grace imo.

im just confused why the OP went thru the trouble of using the UI they dont like to tune the drums to then sample them and then finally load them onto another drum machine. can’t you just do all that once you get them onto the AR?
TOO FAR GONE

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:40 am

JuliusRe wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:49 am
I don´t really get these "all-in-one" devices. If one wants something like that, why not use a (much more capable) computer?
i used to use the mc-909 religiously. it was nice having so much “power” consolidated in one box. i know how capable computers are but HATE working with them to make music. i had a phase where i started selling everything for drugs but kept the mc-909 because of how much it offered under one roof. i was able to play entire live sets on it. once i finally got clean i sold it though lmao. lately though, i’ve been thinking about gripping it again. the drum kits alone offer a lot. the piano roll / tr sequencer combo and mute buttons make it great for controlling other drum machines.
TOO FAR GONE

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:22 am

RickKleffel wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:58 pm
It doesn’t take time.

It doesn’t take talent.

DON’T be dedicated.

If I ever get my hands on this thing first thing I'll do is record these lyrics into it.
Gaun Yersel!

Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave

Post by Voltcontrol » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:24 am

Considering that Maschine is much cheaper than what this will be I see no point in this besides for hobbyists who feel that they'll be lost with a more flexible workflow.
Gaun Yersel!

SingIt
Common Wiggler

Post by SingIt » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:44 am

Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:27 am
tioJim wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 am
dont get me wrong, the AR is fun, but i personally dont like being boxed into the elektron workflow paradigm. it has its pros and cons. theres plenty of other drum machines that can do parameter locks and polyrhythms etc. but i’ll admit elektron can you get you there faster once your familiar. personally, i dont think the AR sounds that good without loading it up with other drum samples. that and parameter locks are its saving grace imo.

im just confused why the OP went thru the trouble of using the UI they dont like to tune the drums to then sample them and then finally load them onto another drum machine. can’t you just do all that once you get them onto the AR?
Its not that confusing. Sometimes i want xox sounds on my beat and i prefer tuning the drums on the tr8s. It sounds good. I just pitch and sample in the drums to the AR in 2 minutes and further process and sequence in there. Its barely any work at all.

I make beats on the tr8s too sometimes, i just much prefer my rytm.

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:18 am

As far as I can tell, the only advantages this thing has over the MPC One is that it will run on battery power, and has Roland badging.

For the $300 it would cost me to get a tablet for it, I'd do better getting a battery pack to run the MPC One. Then I'd still have a better sequencer, I could still record vocals, I'd have a foothold in a well-supported set of products (thanks for the updates, Akaipro!) and I could slap some gaffer tape over the logo and write ROLAND on it with a marker.

Then I could go to a Starbucks in a black turtleneck and trendy facemask and make myself look like a gigantic perambulatory arsehole.

Return to “General Gear”