Announcing Strega!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

makenoise
Ultra Wiggler

Announcing Strega!

Post by makenoise » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:06 pm

Strega Overhead White Background.jpg
Make Noise is proud to introduce Strega! 

Strega is an instrument designed in collaboration with Alessandro Cortini. Inspired by Cortini's music and sonic experimentations, Strega embodies the seen and unseen, the sign and magic, the alchemy of sound. 

Strega is able to conjure audio tones, generate control signals, and process external sounds. 

This new instrument takes the same form factor as the 0-COAST and 0-CTRL in a rugged steel enclosure.  It was designed to be controlled by the 0-CTRL or the 0-COAST's MIDI CV B outputs and is equally happy interfacing with Eurorack modules as well. 

Strega is patchable, with 7 sources and 13 destinations. The instrument also includes Touch Bridges and Gateways for momentary modulation routings, and both Line Level and Eurorack Level outputs.

An overview of Strega’s features and examples of the instrument in action can be seen in our overview video: http://youtu.be/8IBXTMnTBnM

As well, an interview with Alessandro and Nick Batt of Sonic State about Strega can be found here: http://youtu.be/f-_8tj0REkA

Be sure to check out our Instagram channel as well for daily Strega content: http://www.instagram.com/makenoisemusic/

Information about Strega can be found on our website as well: http://makenoisemusic.com/synthesizers/strega

Also shipping with Strega is a cable pack, including patch cables, an output cable a a DC-splitting Y-Cable that may be used to allow a single Strega power supply to power a Strega as well as a 0-CTRL or 0-Coast. 

Strega ships in late February
Retail price: $599
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by makenoise on Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Re: Announcing Strega!

Post by hippo1 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:17 pm

Oooh... This looks like it may soothe the open nerve of 'Not-getting-on-the-VRL-bandwagon-before-it's-gone'...!

...Can't wait!

francoprussian
Wiggling with Experience

Post by francoprussian » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:23 pm

Wow great, another wibbly blip bloop box with a headache inducing layout.

strettara
mufferthucker

Post by strettara » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:27 pm

So mn wants to be cl when it grows up. Ok.
“It must be abstract. It must change. It must give pleasure."

OZ

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:44 pm

We’re already 10 pages in on the other Strega thread.
Though the first few are only pre-reveal speculating....

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:05 pm

soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:17 pm

I find it a bit odd that MN allowed themselves to be scooped on their own announcement. By the time you got around to making your own announcement about this, everyone already knew everything about this device. Perhaps there was a scheduling screwup?
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

skunk3
Common Wiggler

Post by skunk3 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:46 am

I like the features and possibilities of this machine, but just like a lot of MN products, the interface is so damn annoying. When I look at a piece of gear I expect it to be easily understood at a glance and logical, not like trying to solve puzzles while on acid. If an alternative faceplate comes out that eliminates all of the nonsense I might snag one eventually.
"vocoders are shameful in publics"

Dragonaut
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:44 am

sduck wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:17 pm
everyone already knew everything about this device.
I still have a few questions although I’m pretty sure even a manual by these guys will leave a few unanswered.

Val
Common Wiggler

Post by Val » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:03 am

It's funny, I find only on MW people who dislike Make Noise. But it's ok not everyone has to like their products. Personally I think MN interface rather pleasing. After a while you know that knob is the filter, this input the modulation for this or that. So why bother with very standard labelling. Not that I dislike Doepfer or Intellijel for their way of labelling modules (I actually really like Doepfer), just that I'm not that puzzled by MN's way of labeling modules. It's pretty clear, sources and destinations have jacks labeled differently and there's those arrows and lines for the normalled connections...

But. Besides the labelling there's something I don't really understand, it's the pricing. It's 200 more than the 0-ctrl and 100 more than the 0-coast. Ok fine it's not the same product but considering the specifications I was expecting a price similar to the 0-coast, or even a bit cheaper. 0-ctrl being "just" a controller it's cheaper, right. Maybe it can be explained by the long R&D done on this, or Alessandro's part as some says ... or the price of the delay chip, or touchplate integration... Still, 600€ is a bit much. Still, a nice machine that would pair well with my 0-coast and 0-ctrl.

On this, how should we "dispose" them?
I mean, on top of the others, it's a bit "tall". A 3 tier stand would be unpractical and/or weirdly high. But laying them side to side makes no sense because of the side DC plug. It also makes no sense because of the connections at the bottom/top of the machines. Esp with the 0-ctrl and 0-coast, was made to be under the 0-coast. But this one? I'd say between them.
This seemingly simplistic workflow question puzzles me more than the layout lmao. Maybe I'll put 0-coast and Strega on a stand and 0-ctrl on it's own, esp because it would be also be used to control the modular.
I'm talking about a stand because currently doing one with 3D printing for 0-ctrl and 0-coast.
(that was long!)

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:13 am

skunk3 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:46 am
...When I look at a piece of gear I expect it to be easily understood at a glance and logical, not like trying to solve puzzles while on acid...
But when on acid, all puzzles are fun and easier to solve?
😁

Portabella
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Portabella » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:26 am

An oscillaltor with a delay .. *yawn*

Muff McMuff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Muff McMuff » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:04 am

I like it. Its not a vanilla, appeal to as many people as possible synth. Making a synth with an artist like Cortini is rad. I hope Makenoise do some collabs with other interesting artists over the coming years and other weird boxes appear. I like synths and modules that are bit wtf and you have to wiggle away, exploring, panning for gold. It might just be me but the little crosses on the panel give it a old grave yard vibe which suits the name Strega. Not everyones cup of tea but its not boring.

Fabong
Common Wiggler

Post by Fabong » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:12 am

Avant Garde a clue

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:58 am

Duplicate thread, there is already a massive one here.

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:00 am

Kattefjaes wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:58 am
You've linked a 'rumor thread'. This thread is a product release thread, by the manufacturer.

usw
Veteran Wiggler

Post by usw » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:23 am

makenoise wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:06 pm
Strega embodies the seen and unseen, the sign and magic, the alchemy of sound. 

Strega is able to conjure audio tones, generate control signals, and process external sounds.
Image :lol:

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:16 am

Joe. wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:00 am
Kattefjaes wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:58 am
You've linked a 'rumor thread'. This thread is a product release thread, by the manufacturer.
They linked a thread where several people posted links to other demos, and people have been discussing it since it was actually announced. There’s much more content in the other thread, regardless of who started it or when it began.

This one is mostly wanking....

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:29 am

Man, who thought a thread could be created by a manufacturer and everyone just complains and says they don't get it?

Looks fun MN. This is the type of instrument that's more about the timbre than the sequence which is where I'm at currently.
THUMPR BC SC

FS: Optomix here

luketeaford
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by luketeaford » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:07 am

Here's an article from Ryan Gaston with some details and insights: https://www.perfectcircuit.com/signal/make-noise-strega

Sidiblue
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sidiblue » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:08 am

Despite the fact that I'm a big fan of Cortini, I'm not convinced by the Strega. As an instrument I find it very successful, a beautiful collaboration and you can feel it. I don't see much interest with or in addition to my shared system. Curious to read your opinions...

nectarios
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by nectarios » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:41 am

*Snip* off topic commented removed. Feel free to discuss it in the Forum discussion section, as previously instructed by Moderators - Joe.

I think Strega is very specific.
for me the asking price is too much, simply because I don't have the hots for it, or its sound.
but being a Cortini fan, I like that this unit sounds like Cortini and I hope Make Noise make more collaborations like that in the future, although it would be nice if they where less..."specific".
Last edited by nectarios on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

arthurdent
Ultra Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:43 am

Since this is now the "official" Strega thread, I will repeat one comment I made in the "rumors" thread because I believe it is relavent. I like the Strega, I think that it would go great with my 0-Coast and 0-Ctrl, but I feel that it is overpriced by $100 as I don't see it as being any better/greater than a 0-Coast. I get the feeling that we're paying for the Cortini endorsement the way Nike charges for star athlete endorsements of their shoes. But this is just MY opinion...

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:52 am

*Snip* off topic commented removed. Feel free to discuss it in the Forum discussion section, as previously instructed by Moderators - Joe.

Fallen_lassen
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Fallen_lassen » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:27 am

Wow makenoise. That looks like a lot of fun.

Return to “General Gear”