Announcing Strega!

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

clipper
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Announcing Strega!

Post by clipper » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:28 am

congrats MN and Alessandro, cannot wait to put my hands on it :party:

behndy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by behndy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:33 am

orrrrrrderrrrrrred.

pre ordered from Detroit Modular, does their estimate of end of February sound accurate?

looks so much FUN.
music, noise, in progress silliness - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

crowleywaltz
Common Wiggler

Post by crowleywaltz » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:38 am

I hear some quite useful sounds in the 'official' MN announcement video. I don't think I need this right now but if playing live is ever a consideration again this would be a good alternative to a full modular for a lot of West Coast-ish sounds.

arthurdent
Ultra Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:45 am

Val wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:03 am
On this, how should we "dispose" them?
I mean, on top of the others, it's a bit "tall". A 3 tier stand would be unpractical and/or weirdly high. But laying them side to side makes no sense because of the side DC plug. It also makes no sense because of the connections at the bottom/top of the machines. Esp with the 0-ctrl and 0-coast, was made to be under the 0-coast. But this one? I'd say between them.
This seemingly simplistic workflow question puzzles me more than the layout lmao. Maybe I'll put 0-coast and Strega on a stand and 0-ctrl on it's own, esp because it would be also be used to control the modular.
I'm talking about a stand because currently doing one with 3D printing for 0-ctrl and 0-coast.
(that was long!)
I made a small wood frame for my 0-Coast/0-Ctrl to elevate and tilt it slightly:
Zero-Rack.jpg
If I were to get a Strega, I would build a longer frame for the 3 pieces but have 3 angles in it so that each piece tilted up from the one below, similar to what Moog does with the 3-tier rack for the Mother-32.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

miles_macquarrie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by miles_macquarrie » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:58 am

I think this is a pretty unique concept and it looks like a cool drone box. Yes you could just think of it as a single Oscillator with a mono delay, but I don't think that's the point and it's capable of more than that.

I do with that these standalone boxes had "official support" to put in a eurorack case. I've voided my 0-coast warranty by racking it, but I use it so much more this way and it feels like a part of my system. I would want to do the same with the Strega

Zymos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Zymos » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:03 am

I’d be surprised if there wasn’t someone already making 3-D printed stands for the 0-Coast and 0-ctrl, and I bet they could do triple decker ones too.

Samuron
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Samuron » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:08 am

skunk3 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:46 am
I like the features and possibilities of this machine, but just like a lot of MN products, the interface is so damn annoying. When I look at a piece of gear I expect it to be easily understood at a glance and logical, not like trying to solve puzzles while on acid. If an alternative faceplate comes out that eliminates all of the nonsense I might snag one eventually.
For, me, it's the exact opposite. The interface design was a big part of the appeal; it broke me out of the patching routine I had settled into, and really fired up my creativity.

That said, he Strega looks really cool for those into noise/drone, but it's probably not for me.
A modular synthesizer is not a musical instrument; it is a spiritual ham radio.

Eurorack is the sprinkles on the 5U donut.

My Current Modular

Days since I ordered a Club Of The Knobs C964

Kattefjaes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Kattefjaes » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:12 am

skunk3 wrote:
I like the features and possibilities of this machine, but just like a lot of MN products, the interface is so damn annoying. When I look at a piece of gear I expect it to be easily understood at a glance and logical, not like trying to solve puzzles while on acid. If an alternative faceplate comes out that eliminates all of the nonsense I might snag one eventually.
I assume that will be harder to do than with the 0-coast due to the touch pads? Not sure how they are set into the panel.

LDT
The Modu-Lars

Post by LDT » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:34 am

skunk3 wrote:
But remember, it “...embodies the seen and unseen.” So I expect you would be missing around 50% of its capabilities, if you had a clearly readable front panel.

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:40 am

I really want to know what inputs and outputs are available on this thing. So far the demos have been underwhelming but hint at some very interesting sounds.

usw
Veteran Wiggler

Post by usw » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:45 am

You already posted the link in this thread, a few posts ahead ;)
 ! Message from: luketeaford
Thanks for pointing that out-- I deleted my duplicate and now I'm going for a walk :)

Beewo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Beewo » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:35 pm

I think it is looking pretty interesting, definitely seems like more is going on under the hood to me that people are giving credit for. Perfect circuit has it listed as having an envelope follower (not sure if this is accurate or not). Activation seems to be something along the lines of a lpg and not just a vca. PT2399 chip allows for plenty of creative circuitry to be built around it. I suppose time will tell more.

Seems like pairing it with 0ctrl will open it up pretty well, the str envelope will give you access to nice expressive plucky westcoast tones and plenty more to do between them. I suppose I more or less am seeing it as a 3 trick pony at this point, nice plucky west coast sound, heavy drones, and a FX processor.

J0ris
Learning to Wiggle

Post by J0ris » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:10 pm

LDT wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:34 am
But remember, it “...embodies the seen and unseen.” So I expect you would be missing around 50% of its capabilities, if you had a clearly readable front panel.
True, the faceplate reflects that this is an instrument for sonic alchemists, not mere muff wigglers. You are clearly missing the point by focussing on the seen, rather than the unseen. ;)

Sysagent
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sysagent » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:37 pm

Pre-Ordered...
"The Most Annoying Man In The World..."

discreet-cowboy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by discreet-cowboy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:58 pm

Beewo wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:35 pm
Perfect circuit has it listed as having an envelope follower (not sure if this is accurate or not.
I’m pretty sure the envelope follower is one of the CV outs in the bottom left (for the external input, which is always appreciated). So then maybe the other CV out is related to activation?

Beewo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Beewo » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:15 pm

discreet-cowboy wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:58 pm
I’m pretty sure the envelope follower is one of the CV outs in the bottom left (for the external input, which is always appreciated). So then maybe the other CV out is related to activation?
Oh that would make sense, for some reason my eyes kept on glossing over those outputs, it is possible the second output is some sort of a dynamic gate triggered by the envelope follower also similar to how the 0-ctrl has the envelope and dynamic gate output pairing.

Unborn Gore
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Unborn Gore » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:30 pm

Taking everything into account, I don’t think $600 is unreasonable. This is a very interesting machine that is not really for the modular market.

This is a semi-modular machine that should be compared to (and judged against) other semi-modular devices.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:05 pm

0netwo0netwo - I couldn't quote you from pg. 10 I think of the locked down previous thread, but you very succinctly stated what I was thinking reading through various posts. It not only pertains to this thread but modern society in general.

Righteous. Just righteous.

When I first saw this thing on Perfect Circuit this AM it gave me a headache just looking at it. Trying to suss what the hell was what. But after watching a couple of videos and reading a long write up about it. It makes more sense to me. It reminds me some of Ciat Lonbarde, Ieaskul Morbenthey, Ekdahl a little, and similar.

Patch points are nice. Input nice. Price ok for what you get. Odd interface or typical interface is nice. I have way more than enough to make sound with, but am intrigued. And since it is tiny, it may fit somewhere.

I sure applaud this more than three rival companies producing the same retro revives at the time.

The more oddballs the better.
FS: Pedals, Mangler, Tascam 238 and DR-03
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=244651

0netwo0netwo
Veteran Wiggler

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:31 pm

yes, thanks so much for saying so
basically i was just saying in todays world with all the uncertainty and chaos and frustration and everyone in their caves
we should just be searching for joy instead of manifesting hate or irritation or complaints (unless warranted i guess)
life is too fuckin short to waste on that ish
if we like/love something great, in not then keep it moving

i like adventures in sound, really all i have to live for currently and I will be taking this adventure excitedly when my Strega arrives
Control Voltage in PDX said they were sold out of the first batch of pre-orders already and then the next one wouldnt be until end of April or something
so I had to pre-order from CONTROL in BK, hopefully im still in that first group =-0

I think the Sara Belle Reid Youtube video is going to reveal to us what we wish to be revealed
she is an awesome artist and im very excited to see what she does with the Strega

have a nice weekend everyone!!
x1212
some invest in gold, silver and stocks - I like to invest in synths and drum machines :sb:

https://0netwo0netwo.bandcamp.com/releases

https://soundcloud.com/0netwo0netwo

Dragonaut
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Dragonaut » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:37 pm

That Jamie Liddell demo really sells it. Wide range of unique tones on offer here.

JeebsFat
Learning to Wiggle

Post by JeebsFat » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:01 am

Sad to learn the naming convention diverged from the 0-coast theme. Not sure why I care, though. I don't own any of these at this point. I'm still hoping for a mini tape music machine in this format. The 0-Slice? The 0-Pierre? If they make that, I will certainly #CollectThemAll and built a suitcase case all four.

pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:54 am

Unborn Gore wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:30 pm
Taking everything into account, I don’t think $600 is unreasonable. This is a very interesting machine that is not really for the modular market.

This is a semi-modular machine that should be compared to (and judged against) other semi-modular devices.
This^

I think it is very interesting. I can definitely see myself picking this up... I'll probably wait until actual release.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Whatisvalis
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Whatisvalis » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:37 am

Dragonaut wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:37 pm
That Jamie Liddell demo really sells it. Wide range of unique tones on offer here.
Yea - I thought that was a nice range of sounds and uses.

Roy72
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Roy72 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:44 pm

Is there jacks for the modulators, or are they just touch points? That would be annoying if you can't use the modulation for other stuff? Maybe it's the CV outs in the bottom left?

pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:28 pm

Roy72 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:44 pm
Is there jacks for the modulators, or are they just touch points? That would be annoying if you can't use the modulation for other stuff? Maybe it's the CV outs in the bottom left?
I am certain the manual will turn up on their site soon and that would answer these Qs. I bet we'll also see some more demos soon as well that may address your Qs. For now, all I can say is patience young padawan. :zen:
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Return to “General Gear”