Recommend a reverb unit (rack or pedal) for ambient?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

Johnnyfive
Wiggling with Experience

Recommend a reverb unit (rack or pedal) for ambient?

Post by Johnnyfive » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:03 am

Hi folks,

so, I've been using a Strymon Blue Sky as my only reverb for about three years - it's hooked up as an aux send on my mixer, and I generally use it for pretty long droney reverbs which are quite prominent in the mix. I make ambient music, mainly based around looping guitar in eurorack and also with some analog synths.

I like the Strymon a lot, but since reverb is such a big component of my sound, I want to experiment with other options too. Not looking to replace the Blue Sky necessarily, but more to find something which complements it. Budget is max around £350, and I'm happy to go secondhand. I need stereo out - stereo in is not necessary as my mixer only has mono sends, but I'd prefer it as i sometimes patch reverb as a stereo send from my DAW.

I'm pretty easy in terms of whether it's a pedal or rackmount, and I'm open to exploring older 80s/90s rackmount effects (although I'm wary that some of them are pretty old now so may not be so reliable). I really like the fact that the Blue Sky is very hands on, and I'd like something similar for this unit (which again means rackmount may not be so good).

When I bought the Blue Sky, the main alternative I looked at was the Eventide Space - that still sounds like an option, but I'm conscious that there are lots of well-regarded reverb pedals that have come out in the last few years. The Meris Mercury 7 sounds pretty great, and I've heard good things about Empress and the Oto Bam (although Bam is over budget). Another option is to upgrade to a Big Sky.

I know reverb is a very personal choice, so I'm not expecting a definitive answer, but it would be great to find out what people are using so I can narrow down the search a bit.

Thanks!

BananaPlug
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Recommend a reverb unit (rack or pedal) for ambient?

Post by BananaPlug » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:12 am

FX-Aid. It's the Disting of effects.
:nana: “Could only have been painted by a madman.”

sydilaxe
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sydilaxe » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:39 am

I just snagged an Alesis Microverb 2 on the cheap recently. The long hall mode 4 is instant ambient. It has a nice sound on synths.

CDavis
Brain Fruit

Post by CDavis » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:03 pm

Quadraverb! They’re pretty noisy but they’ve been used on a bunch of classic drone albums that you probably like. You can get them for super cheap too.

Ashley Pomeroy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ashley Pomeroy » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:04 pm

By coincidence I also have a MicroVerb 2, and LARGE 4 is indeed good fun - but if you run it through a compressor it gets very noisy as it tails off. I also have a Big Sky, and the two units sound great chained together. The MicroVerb is limited by the fact it only has presets, no tone control etc. For a similar budget the NanoVerb and Picoverb are newer and presumably have better sound quality.

If I was the OP I would be tempted to invest in a Night Sky. It's more out-there than the BigSky but it can also do ordinary reverbs as well. If the OP isn't averse to VSTs Valhalla's SuperMassive is free and sounds great as well:
https://valhalladsp.com/shop/reverb/val ... ermassive/

BenA718
Veteran Wiggler

Post by BenA718 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:26 pm

I'm loving the Eventide Blackhole.

megamaeng
Wiggling with Experience

Post by megamaeng » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:32 pm

Ultrasheer looks like a lot of fun:

https://www.vongon.com/product/ultrasheer

I'd also be tempted to get 2 draume's for stereo. That's what I did to get a stereo shallow water and it sounds amaaaaaazing :omg:

Artaos
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Artaos » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:38 pm

I’ve used many eurorack reverbs, and nothing I’ve tried comes close to the Tasty Chips ECR-1 in terms of pure sound. It’s also one of the rare true stereo reverbs (i.e. four channel impulse response wavs). Since it’s a convolution reverb, it’s less tweak-able than algorithmic reverbs, but the variety of impulse responses makes up for it.
I’ve also had Space, Empress, and BAM, and they’re great, but I’d recommend getting something more different compared to your Strymon.

Chopper
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Chopper » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:15 pm

Alesis MIDIVERB II

Johnnyfive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Johnnyfive » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:18 pm

Thanks all for your suggestions, lots to explore here. I should say, I'm not looking for a Eurorack module because my case is full and I'm not looking to get a bigger one any time soon. Equally not looking for plugins as want to keep things hardware-only (not out of principle, but just because I like being able to turn things on and be able to play, without having to mess around with a computer)

papastratman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by papastratman » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:27 pm

The Eventide H9 is incredibly powerful. That could fit the bill.

chriscarter
Common Wiggler

Post by chriscarter » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:02 pm

The H9 sounds great... although the controls are pretty minimal.
But Space is very knobby and hands on and also sounds fabulous.

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:03 pm

Eventide Blackhole. I'm using it right now with my eurorack and it's magic. Instant ambient.

Of course, the Space or H9 would also be good choices, but I like the simpler interface of the Blackhole and it does exactly what you describe: long droney reverbs that can be brought to the forefront in the mix.

WarpHead
Wiggling with Experience

Post by WarpHead » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:04 pm

chriscarter wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:02 pm
The H9 sounds great... although the controls are pretty minimal.
But Space is very knobby and hands on and also sounds fabulous.
I've been looking to incorporate an eventide fx unit for a while now. Quite confused with their range though. :hmm:
Don't believe the hype.

WTB: Schippmann Omega-Phi Mk2.

elmerfudd
Wiggling with Experience

Post by elmerfudd » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:44 pm

Ezhi And Aka Terverb, weird lo-fi triple verb with modulation. Force sensor for tape stop, warble effects. With slow LFO rate and careful tweaking generates interesting harmonic enhancements. Good addition to a more standard verb. Just got one and am intrigued by it, it is just so different......

oscilloscope
Common Wiggler

Post by oscilloscope » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:04 pm

Check this:

Radiance2021
Common Wiggler

Post by Radiance2021 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:57 pm

'Lexicon PCM80 has some good stuff for ambient...they're going for peanuts now.

Mr.Kus
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr.Kus » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:51 am

Does anyone have experience with Fender Reflecting Pool delay/reverb pedal? I don't know much about guitar pedals, but seems like a good value for money. I haven't seen much discussion about it, maybe that's an indication it's nothing to write home about, but the few comments I've seen have been positive.

windchill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by windchill » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:35 am

I'm rather fond of the Meris Mercury 7.

Red Electric Rainbow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Red Electric Rainbow » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:53 am

Radiance2021 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:57 pm
'Lexicon PCM80 has some good stuff for ambient...they're going for peanuts now.
I had a PCM80 and loved it. Also used the 70 (was my favorite) and 91. I also really loved the MPX-1 and that unit in particular felt very ambient. Ultra clean and very digital. Had two of then and paid $50 for the pair and really miss them. Ive always been interested in the PCM96 but its pretty expensive for me and most of my effects are in the box now.

one of the reverb programmers from Lexicon breaks down their verb types down here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-en ... tiary.html
TOO FAR GONE

skunk3
Common Wiggler

Post by skunk3 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:13 am

I have both the Meris Mercury 7 and Source Audio Ventris. Both are excellent in different ways. I actually sold my Eventide Black Hole because these more than make up for it. I also have a few 'character' verbs as well in the form of guitar pedals. The Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star reverb is crazy (especially on the crush mode) and the Earthquaker Devices Transmisser is probably the most 'haunted sounding' and shoegaze-y reverb I've ever heard.

If I had to pick only one I'd go with the Ventris because you can run 2 verbs at once in series, which gets super ambient, but I've heard great things about the GFI Specular Tempus as well. It sounds pretty awesome based upon the videos I've watched on YouTube.
"vocoders are shameful in publics"

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:32 am

I came here to suggest the Big Sky, but then read your post...damn it

So I have to list some of my other reverbs instead. In no particular order:

1. Alesis Midiverb II : lo-fi, characterful, with just presets but always musical. Just find the one that fits the track and go. You can always get something out of this gear. Presets variations are organized by decens, with delays, reverbs, modulations and so on.

2. Eventide H9 : anything about it is great. The UI is passable and with the advantage of a bluetooth app that is great for me when I`m playing in a distant synth in the studio. Amazing algorithms of all kind, loads of different effects (I have the Max version). It could be overkill for just reverb (and expensive) but if you want other fx too it´s a great choise.

3. EHX Cathedral. It´s cheap, with several reverb modes and sounds really good, with both character and definition when requires. It`s stereo, and have infinite button. It also have a great delay mode.

I use them all for reverb duties and I´m very happy with the results.

I recently tried a firend´d TC Electronic T2, that is a more "ambient" version of their "Hall of Fame" pedal. It´s very good and have some room for edit a patch via editor and USB.

booger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by booger » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:51 am

Anyone using an Earthquaker Avalanche Run for their reverbs? I’d be curious to see how it compares to some of the other units listed so far.

donato
Common Wiggler

Post by donato » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:27 am

I had an Avalanche Run 2. I liked it but the delay was perhaps stronger than reverb and overall pretty limited. Have a Space and Bam now. With those two I feel my reverb needs are covered.

Exit Chamber
Common Wiggler

Post by Exit Chamber » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:39 am

GFI Spectral Reverb is super compact and sounds much, much better than it should for the price you can pick up a used one for.

Return to “General Gear”