Recommend a reverb unit (rack or pedal) for ambient?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Recommend a reverb unit (rack or pedal) for ambient?

Post by slumberjack » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:18 am

TC M3000
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

naos
Common Wiggler

Post by naos » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:24 am

Digitech Supernatural is rumoured is to be a gem in its price range, never tested it though.

TobyB2019
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TobyB2019 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:34 pm

For me, Ambient = Eventide ... pedals or rack, new or SH ... brilliant.
Before I bought a rack, I tried a few pedals, and the Strymon was good, but it "always sounded the same". I preferred the Meris ... it might "only" be a two-trick pony, but it does them really well.

Rost + Licht
Common Wiggler

Post by Rost + Licht » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:42 pm

Sleeper; Calinabread Talisman. Can fade into eternity and very haptic plate reverb

Always sleeping in the studio because it's good; Midiverb II

Lucid dreaming; Echoplex EP-4 Tapedelay

kenosis
Common Wiggler

Post by kenosis » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:01 pm

As far as non module reverbs - I use the Eventide Space (which aside from the many algorithms already included, you can create your own) and the Earthquaker Afterneath which rocks as well! I really think it comes down to taste and need.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:28 pm

If you are looking for something like an old lexicon the OTO bam is the way to go. It checks all your other boxes as well. The algorithms were made listening to old lexicon (pcm 70) and other vintage units. It is absolutely great and Denis is amazing with answering questions and going above and beyond with his customer service. I spent about 6 months trying to find the perfect reverb for me and I liked the bam so much that I ended up with the bim and boum too.
FS (US): Nothing: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=238432

Johnnyfive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Johnnyfive » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:00 pm

lots of great suggestions in here - thanks everyone. i'm leaning towards picking up an alesis midiverb and/or quadraverb in the first instance, since they can be had for cheap and i'm curious to see what they sound like. lots of different pedals that sound like they would fit the bill too. i feel like it might be beginning of a period of reverb exploration...

Jee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jee » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:39 am

I started a similar journey... 2 years ago and I haven’t reach my goal yet :)

TobyB2019
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TobyB2019 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:48 am

I have just got a Gamechanger Audio Light pedal it's a real spring (3 of them in fact) reverb with additional optical sensor picking up reflections ... it's got a whole lot of tricks, using the optical sensors a bit like an LFO to tremolo or sweep ... interesting, and so far, a much more subtle effect than their Plasma!

bitflip
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bitflip » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:53 am

Jason Brock
just visiting

Post by Jason Brock » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:51 am

I've tried a bunch, and these made the cut for me:

Meris Mercury 7 for synths.
Earthquaker Devices Afterneath for guitar.

maxl0rd
Common Wiggler

Post by maxl0rd » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:03 pm

Despite the somewhat predictable cycles of generational culture shifts, such renewed excitement over the Alesis Midiverb is a trend that I def did not see coming.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:24 pm

maxl0rd wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:03 pm
Despite the somewhat predictable cycles of generational culture shifts, such renewed excitement over the Alesis Midiverb is a trend that I def did not see coming.
After listening to them I still don't understand it :slapfight: ;) .
FS (US): Nothing: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=238432

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:12 am

BenA718 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:26 pm
I'm loving the Eventide Blackhole.
Yup! One demo sold me. Just bought a B-stock Eventide Blackhole pedal and I think it's just what I needed: A straightforward, moderately priced reverb unit that sounds great, and the Blackhole pedal I think is it. It has a low-Z/line-level input-switch and a CV-able expression-pedal input, and that algorithm. I still may also get the Tasty Chips ECR-1 (probably more than likely) for "super" effects. But I realized since I have so many simultaneous sound-sources, I kind of needed more than one reverb unit.

Desperate for some kind of reverb unit, I almost bought a 2hp verb, but then checked for sales on other outboard reverbs and found the Eventide pedal, which is a nice reasonably priced unit, especially as B-stock (far less than an H9 or Eclipse). Again, the demo sold me instantly so I just clicked "buy" a few minutes ago. Funny, I own a Midiverb II which I bought brand new, what? Forty years ago? But I just can't find it!

Yeah, so . . .

• Eventide Blackhole pedal.
• Tasty Chips ECR-1.
• Midiverb II (when I find it).
• Strymon NightSky (someday . . . ).
• ???

My only reverb is a Mooer Ocean Machine, and it does sound good (as well as being extremely powerful), but it's so fucking complicated, it's often just not worth the trouble. Probably gonna try to sell it. By the way, I performed the stupidly-obscure firmware-mod so that the original bug has been fixed if anyone's interested (and with that stellar endorsement, who wouldn't be?).

eccemusic
Common Wiggler

Post by eccemusic » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:18 am

megamaeng wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:32 pm
Ultrasheer looks like a lot of fun:

https://www.vongon.com/product/ultrasheer

I'd also be tempted to get 2 draume's for stereo. That's what I did to get a stereo shallow water and it sounds amaaaaaazing :omg:
Would love to hear a sound clip of the double Shallow Water! I have a single SW and an Ultrasheer. The latter goes end of chain on pretty much everything I record!

studio460
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by studio460 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:04 am

I've just been A-B'ing my three Source Audio modulation-pedals (chorus, flanger, phaser) to my other, pricer pedals: Mooer Ocean Machine, MXR M117R and Mr. Black Twin Lazers phaser: And it's game-over. The Source Audio DSP pedals just blow them away. The depth of the sound character and the variation in sound is miles ahead of the others. This isn't a cork-sniffing excercise—I think anyone with ears would agree.

This recent realization has pushed Source Audio as a brand to the top of the list and is making me reconsider their out-of-rack solutions, specifically the Collider ($349), a combined reverb/delay unit, which is a "best-of" their Ventris reverb and Nemesis delay algorithms. It has the same set of 56-bit, dual-processors for sonic heavy-lifting, but fewer algorithms than either. Still, it's $50 less than the Ventris.

There's a lot of contenders in the pedal-arena for reverb, but I'm betting the Collider is among the top since their other pedals completely pwns a couple of their rivals. Still, a bit pricey at $350. Still plan on getting the ECR-1 (I need more than one reverb unit), but on the fence on a Tiptop Z-DSP. Electro-Harmonix' Oceans 12 is tempting, but reviews hint at the same cluster-fuck of a UI that the Mooer Ocean Machine suffers. I've kind of taken Strymons out of the running due to their high pricing and "no discount ever" dealer policy. So . . .

• Eventide Blackhole pedal (ordered).
• Tasty Chips ECR-1 (still hovering over "buy" button).
• Source Audio Collider.
• Tiptop Z-DSP v1 (but only if I can find a used unit at a decent price, which doesn't seem to be happening).

For immediate sale:

• Mooer Ocean Machinę.
• MXR M117R Flanger.
• Mr. Black Twin Lazers.
Last edited by studio460 on Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:29 am, edited 4 times in total.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:14 am

Yes I second Eventide H9.

But I recently got Strymon Nightsky and I'm in love with it. It's ambient in a box.

Feinstrom
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Feinstrom » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:16 am

TobyB2019 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:48 am
I have just got a Gamechanger Audio Light pedal it's a real spring (3 of them in fact) reverb with additional optical sensor picking up reflections ... it's got a whole lot of tricks, using the optical sensors a bit like an LFO to tremolo or sweep ... interesting, and so far, a much more subtle effect than their Plasma!
I've got that one as well - I don't understand it in the way of a traditional ambient reverb, but more as a sound-sculpting device, which immensely grows in sound when provided with a long reverb tail from a good reverb unit (my favourite at the moment: the Cybersound Dark Room).
It even sends out the scariest drones all by itself - I could score a whole (minimalistic) horror movie just with a Yamaha Reface CS, any home-built drone synth found on Ebay, the Light Pedal and the Dark Room.

And: Yes, the Light Pedal is more subtle than the Plasma Pedal - ANYTHING is more subtle than the Plasma Pedal (and I mean that in a totally good way, owning two Plasma Pedals)!

Cheers,
Bert

Jee
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jee » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:31 pm

the new UAFX golden reverberator looks also quite amazing... slightly more expensive but full featured and really beautiful sound.
I was lurking on the chase bliss CXM1978 but it's reall expensive and this new stop box from UA might get the win in the end as it sound at least as nice if not better.
The black hole was also very tempting (except this combo mono/stereo in that is less convenient)

Tajnost
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Tajnost » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:36 pm

booger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by booger » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:54 am

I just picked up a HomeNoise Black Lodge. Seems to do the ambient thing quite nicely.

Johnnyfive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Johnnyfive » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:57 pm

just wanted to say a massive thanks for all the recommendations. i ended up getting a good deal on an eventide blackhole so i grabbed it - been playing with it on guitar today and i really like it, definitely a different flavour to my blue sky. even on more extreme settings it doesn't sound synthetic, but sits really nicely with the guitar and does give a really beautiful ambience.

very tempted by the oto bam too, so i'm going to offload some underused pedals and modules (and the blue sky) to free up some cash for that (and hopefully a bim as well, since i realised that i need more delay in my life too).

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:40 am

studio460 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:12 am
My only reverb is a Mooer Ocean Machine, and it does sound good (as well as being extremely powerful), but it's so fucking complicated, it's often just not worth the trouble. Probably gonna try to sell it. By the way, I performed the stupidly-obscure firmware-mod so that the original bug has been fixed if anyone's interested (and with that stellar endorsement, who wouldn't be?).
Could you tell me more about that firmware mod? I’ve got an Ocean Machine and like it a lot :)

steveoath
Common Wiggler

Post by steveoath » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:58 am

Mooer Ocean Machine is pretty nice

soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:18 am

Brian Eno used Zoom racks: Studio 1201, Studio 1204. They are good. You can get them for peanuts

Return to “General Gear”