Recommend a reverb unit (rack or pedal) for ambient?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

VM
Common Wiggler

Re: Recommend a reverb unit (rack or pedal) for ambient?

Post by VM » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:50 am

Check out the Caverns by Keely. Great value pedal and solid build quality, as is everything by Keely.

Other things to consider:
Collision Devices Black Hole Symmetry (reverb/drive/feedback monster)
Walrus Audio SLO (dreamy modulated reverb)
Old Blood Noise Endeavors Minim (reverb and harmonic tremolo)

If it's any consolation I have a Big Sky and have come to hate it. It's ok for guitar but for my synth stuff it just adds a layer of warm piss to my tone that I just don't want.
Filthambient / Powerelectronics from Australia ---> Vile Masque

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:22 am

One that has not been mentioned yet in the thread is the Kilpatrick Redox. I have one, it checks off all the boxes for me. For one thing, when possible I prefer standalone effects units that are built to be used on a desk and manipulated with one's hands.

I have thought about getting the Oto Bam to match my Boum, but I never end up doing it because while the Boum's minimal interface is just fine for compression, I look at my Redox and I don't really want to give up its screen; as the visual feedback shows the 'size' of the space emulation and how you're changing it, in a real-time recording and/or performance scenario the screen and its UI is a major plus. The same is true of the other parameters like the filter.

TobyB2019
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TobyB2019 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:56 am

For more complex boxes ... the MOD Duo (X?) is very powerful ... basic individual components (delay, reverb, etc) might be average ... but the complexity you can build up with multiple components in serial/parallel is amazing ... and then you have the synth modules to add ... but it takes a bit more programming input than a hardwired box with a dozen or so settings ... lots of pre-set pedal boards to download though ...

Erizima
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Erizima » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:55 pm

I got a Strymon Nightsky on Friday. The little time I've had to try it, it has made me feel like recommending it. I've got quite a few reverbs (Midiverb II + IV, Quadraverb, Empress Reverb) and although the Nightsky is the last one I'd grab to create a (somewhat) real room or be my "if I only have one reverb" pick , it definitely excels at creating reverb "effects". I prefer it to the Blackhole VST I have.

SonarBk
Common Wiggler

Post by SonarBk » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:07 pm

if you want to shoegaze with your modular, try Caroline Meteore Lo Fi Reverb - it does something specific and it does it really well.

magicdust
Common Wiggler

Post by magicdust » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:38 pm

Even tide should really come out with a multi fx/reverb eurorack module. Killing me with only a delay unit.

freakynorth
Withered Gardener

Post by freakynorth » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:42 pm

metamorphmuses wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:22 am
One that has not been mentioned yet in the thread is the Kilpatrick Redox.
Man! Yes! I don’t see enough people with these..
It’s crazy. I don’t have one but I will at some point this year!
My end game is a Lexicon Model 200 but I was debating between the Redox or the Bam.. I think the Redox has it beat honestly! Just basing it on the videos/info ive read online about the two.
Kilpatrick is a local Canadian company too!!!
WANT TO BUY:
Bugbrand - CTL-1, Spring Tanker
Bugbrand/Scrotum Lab - Le Seq, Le Seq Expander, Radio Music, Tresses

geecen
Veteran Wiggler

Post by geecen » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:24 am

Another vote for quadraverb.

metamorphmuses
Common Wiggler

Post by metamorphmuses » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:26 am

freakynorth wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:42 pm
metamorphmuses wrote:
My end game is a Lexicon Model 200 but I was debating between the Redox or the Bam.. I think the Redox has it beat honestly! Just basing it on the videos/info ive read online about the two.
Yeah, I think Kilpatrick is a bit overlooked sometimes, but I have a Eurorack module of theirs I like a lot and the Redox sounds good. The Bam sounds good in the demos I've seen of it, and it still appeals to me, but there is ultimately no justification to having both the Redox and the Bam. What would settle the matter definitively is a side-by-side video of the two comparing how they handle the same signal, but alas there is none.

Since I can confidently say I like the sound of the Redox, I am keeping my gearlust for the Bam well at bay, but I have to wonder if the appeal isn't that I like the idea of having the Bam and Boum together just because of appearances.

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:15 am

A lot of these suggestions are comparisons of what the OP already has: A good-quality digital reverb. How about going the other way, with something like Hungry Robot's The Wash? Combo long reverb/analog delay with modulation. Aliasing, dirty; all the things old-school pedals did. VERY different from Strymon's stuff; pretty much the polar opposite. But that's what makes it cool to use.

soundinett
Veteran Wiggler

Post by soundinett » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:50 am

Gamechanger Audio Light. Feel the difference.

Johnnyfive
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Johnnyfive » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:08 am

OP here. So I had a bit of a clear out, sold some pedals and modules (including the Blue Sky) and ended up getting an Oto Bam, Eventide Blackhole, and Oto Bim (and keeping my El Capistan). I'm really really happy with them - they sound great and work really well together. Listening to the Bam, I'm not sure how I put up with the Blue Sky for so long (no disrespect to it, but Bam is head and shoulders above for my needs).

Also pleased to find that the Bam and the Blackhole together are a really nice pairing - mixing closer spaces on the Bam with a really long tail from the Blackhole sounds really good, it gives a really complex and full sound. Add in the Bim and El Cap, and I think I've got my reverbs and delays covered for a good while. I had originally planned to get a Quadraverb but the prices have crept up a bit (thanks Hainbach :lol: ) so that's off the cards for now, but maybe some day...

Massive thanks to everyone for all the advice - it's been super helpful.
IMG_1868.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TobyB2019
Learning to Wiggle

Post by TobyB2019 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:48 pm

Light pedal is lovely ... it can be a gentle classic spring with all the colour you'd expect, and with the optical LFO running it can get all Eventide'y but different ... (and it can go all rockabilly too if you want it!)

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:58 pm

freakynorth wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:42 pm
metamorphmuses wrote:
I actually haven't used it with anything other than my phenol....but it sure sounds great with the phenol. I would definitely recommend it.

boxxgrooved
Veteran Wiggler

Post by boxxgrooved » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:46 pm

Don't know if its been mentioned yet but the cheap Korg NTS-1 has decent verbs, clock input for synching the delay lines and the benefit of working with line level signals compared to pedals

DJFonzi
Veteran Wiggler

Post by DJFonzi » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:18 pm

boxxgrooved wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:46 pm
Don't know if its been mentioned yet but the cheap Korg NTS-1 has decent verbs, clock input for synching the delay lines and the benefit of working with line level signals compared to pedals
I came here to say the same. $99. CRAZY.

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:24 pm

I just bought a Lexicon PCM-70. Listening to demos, I think it's peak reverb. It has that beautiful natural tail, but not like a convolution reverb. PCM-80 is on the wish list too.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:35 pm

jonne74 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:24 pm
I just bought a Lexicon PCM-70. Listening to demos, I think it's peak reverb. It has that beautiful natural tail, but not like a convolution reverb. PCM-80 is on the wish list too.
If you already have the PCM70, the PCM80 might be a bit of a let down. I have the PCM70 too (love it!) and I paired it with a TC Electronic Reverb4000, which has a very different sound and a different way of working. The PCM70 is lush and 'musical' but not necessarily very realistic, while the 4000 can be more detailed and realistic (it can also do crazy massive reverb). I would recommend you consider something like that - get a second, great reverb that is very different from the PCM70.

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:47 am

Dave Peck wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:35 pm
jonne74 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:24 pm
If you already have the PCM70, the PCM80 might be a bit of a let down. I have the PCM70 too (love it!) and I paired it with a TC Electronic Reverb4000, which has a very different sound and a different way of working. The PCM70 is lush and 'musical' but not necessarily very realistic, while the 4000 can be more detailed and realistic (it can also do crazy massive reverb). I would recommend you consider something like that - get a second, great reverb that is very different from the PCM70.
Thanks for the info! I'm waiting on the PCM 70, it's in the mail. The PCM 80 has been a dream since I heard it on Plastikman's Consumed album, but it has always been out of reach. He said in an interview, it was mostly the PCM 80. I'm sure my reference points will move when the 70 arrives. I was bidding on an OTO BAM, but gave that up when I found the PCM 70.

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:11 am

The PCM70 is here! It works, but it's in bad shape. The screen is almost completely scrambled. You can read some things, but I can't really tell what it says. The preset numbers show some of the time so that helps. At first I thought the noise floor was unbearable, like an angry metallic robot, but noticed that it was set to +4 on both input and output. Switching it to -20 helped a lot. Suddenly the level meter came alive and the noise was gone.

I have to read up on the manual and see the presets list. Tweaking the presets is going to be by ear :hihi:

I was playing some Minilogue bass into it and was greeted by some lovely long reverbs :party:

winn3r
Common Wiggler

Post by winn3r » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:40 am

On my V2 I pretty much only use 4.2 (tiled room) and 5.0 (rich plate) these days with dry/wet tweaking :tu:

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:58 am

slumberjack wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:18 am
TC M3000
Sorry for being notorious but I used this piece again over the weekend and I'm blown away by the sound once more. There are hundreds of preset from classic to naturalistic. You could even use this piece for scoring movies...and I'm sure this has been the case in the past.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

choice_of_meat
Common Wiggler

Post by choice_of_meat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:52 pm

I'd say go for something like the SOMA Cosmos (when avail), a bit out of your budget (but time to save up!), and so ambient....

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:12 pm

jonne74 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:11 am
The PCM70 is here! It works, but it's in bad shape. The screen is almost completely scrambled. You can read some things, but I can't really tell what it says. The preset numbers show some of the time so that helps. At first I thought the noise floor was unbearable, like an angry metallic robot, but noticed that it was set to +4 on both input and output. Switching it to -20 helped a lot. Suddenly the level meter came alive and the noise was gone.

I have to read up on the manual and see the presets list. Tweaking the presets is going to be by ear :hihi:

I was playing some Minilogue bass into it and was greeted by some lovely long reverbs :party:
Have you tried resetting the PCM70? Search for PCM70 and it brings up a sweetwater article on how to reset it.
You can also use midi to change programs on the PCM70 (mine has a flaky rotary encoder)

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:04 pm

Liddlepud wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:12 pm

Have you tried resetting the PCM70? Search for PCM70 and it brings up a sweetwater article on how to reset it.
You can also use midi to change programs on the PCM70 (mine has a flaky rotary encoder)
I'll have to try that when I wake up (2AM here). It might help, because in the description photos the screen was fine. Thanks!

Return to “General Gear”