Recommend a reverb unit (rack or pedal) for ambient?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Recommend a reverb unit (rack or pedal) for ambient?

Post by B0bcat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:37 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:35 pm
jonne74 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:24 pm
I just bought a Lexicon PCM-70. Listening to demos, I think it's peak reverb. It has that beautiful natural tail, but not like a convolution reverb. PCM-80 is on the wish list too.
If you already have the PCM70, the PCM80 might be a bit of a let down. I have the PCM70 too (love it!) and I paired it with a TC Electronic Reverb4000, which has a very different sound and a different way of working. The PCM70 is lush and 'musical' but not necessarily very realistic, while the 4000 can be more detailed and realistic (it can also do crazy massive reverb). I would recommend you consider something like that - get a second, great reverb that is very different from the PCM70.
Curious to hear what you don’t like about the PCM80 :)
WTB(US): Metasonix R-53, Bastl Softpop, Blippoo Box

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:58 pm

B0bcat wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:37 pm

Nothing! Unless you already have a PCM70, like the OP, and you are looking for something different enough to compliment it.

B0bcat
Wiggling with Experience

Post by B0bcat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:03 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:58 pm
B0bcat wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:37 pm

Nothing! Unless you already have a PCM70, like the OP, and you are looking for something different enough to compliment it.
Gotcha!
WTB(US): Metasonix R-53, Bastl Softpop, Blippoo Box

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:10 am

jonne74 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:04 pm
Liddlepud wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:12 pm

Have you tried resetting the PCM70? Search for PCM70 and it brings up a sweetwater article on how to reset it.
You can also use midi to change programs on the PCM70 (mine has a flaky rotary encoder)
I'll have to try that when I wake up (2AM here). It might help, because in the description photos the screen was fine. Thanks!
It worked! Screen looks perfect now. I did the full reset with 0, Load and then 1 to confirm. It says I have v3.01. The beautiful preset I heard before was 30. Sustain Hall. There was a preset before that kept sending the unit into massive feedback. I'll have to see if it's deleted now or if it's one of the factory patches. Thanks again for the tip, so happy now :party:

Liddlepud
Awfully Common Wiggler

Post by Liddlepud » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:37 am

Glad I could help. Mine became scrambled after I moved house, I panicked at first but after the reset everything was back to normal.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:04 pm

On the 70, spend some time learning about the separate LF and Mid decay times and the crossover settings. The attack, diffusion and definition can make huge changes in the sound on some sources (like percussion) or very little change on other sources, so they take some time to get to know. Plus of course the excellent chorus control, which often seems to have a sweet spot at about 55 to 65. And try everything with the 'decay optimize' turned on and also turned off. It can make a big difference.

jonne74
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by jonne74 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:17 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:04 pm
On the 70, spend some time learning about the separate LF and Mid decay times and the crossover settings. The attack, diffusion and definition can make huge changes in the sound on some sources (like percussion) or very little change on other sources, so they take some time to get to know. Plus of course the excellent chorus control, which often seems to have a sweet spot at about 55 to 65. And try everything with the 'decay optimize' turned on and also turned off. It can make a big difference.
I've been all over the manual today. Very easy to navigate the parameters, much better than my MPX-1. Thanks for the notes.

Return to “General Gear”