FX chain order

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

FX chain order

Post by HenryBurlingame » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:44 pm

Due to my hardware and mixer send/return limitations I am having some trouble deciding where to put my oto boum (compression and distortion) in my fx chain.

I think I have decided to put it before my delay and reverb hardware but I am not sure whether to add it before or after filtering (I am using a bugbrand crossover filter to split a mono signal into stereo using the three different filter outputs).

One option would be to add the boum to the final chain at the end of my signal processing (boum->stereo delay->stereo reverb->recorder).

My other option would be to use the boum on a mono send with mono or stereo return. The issue here is that if I filter first then the portion of the three filter outputs that I send to it are summed to mono and lose their stereo position. But I could filter after the boum instead and then not lose stereo position information.

So I am wondering how you all like to order your FX. Delay, reverb, filtering, distortion, compression, eq, etc. I am sure hearing how you do it would really help and will give me some new idea to try out! Thanks!
Last edited by HenryBurlingame on Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FS (US): JMT UNVO-1 Noise/Drone synth, Hikari Monos CV, JMT SRV-1 Spring Reverb: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=238432

th0mas
Veteran Wiggler

Re: FX chain order

Post by th0mas » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:54 am

Sounds like you might have enough gear to make it worthwhile to get a patchbay, so you can mix and match to your heart's content.

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:03 pm

.... and a mixer with several post fader / post EQ sends, enough for each parallel effect, and then bring the FX back into spare input channels (not into FX returns) so you can EQ the FX signals and use the sends on THOSE channels to cascade each effect into the other effects.

HenryBurlingame
Wiggling with Experience

Post by HenryBurlingame » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:28 pm

Dave Peck wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:03 pm
.... and a mixer with several post fader / post EQ sends, enough for each parallel effect, and then bring the FX back into spare input channels (not into FX returns) so you can EQ the FX signals and use the sends on THOSE channels to cascade each effect into the other effects.
I feel lucky just to have a mixer with 3 mono sends and a stereo sub I can use as a stereo send (Tascam model 16). Mixers seem to have fewer and fewer sends as the years go by...
FS (US): JMT UNVO-1 Noise/Drone synth, Hikari Monos CV, JMT SRV-1 Spring Reverb: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=238432

Dave Peck
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dave Peck » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:14 pm

Yup. My mixer has five post-fader sends. I really wish that sixth send could be switched to post-fader so I could use it as another FX send....

thomachine
Common Wiggler

Post by thomachine » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:52 am

Do you have a spare bus on your mixer? I use a bus to send tracks to my compressor, and Analog Heat. So i can use the sends for reverb and delay effects.

deft_bonz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deft_bonz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:15 am

There is no "order" that suits all. It really depends what you try to achieve.

A compressor in front of the FX chain will "tame" or shape your source signal (even further, if you don't have one already on the source). That is one solution I never used. There is usually a compressor already added to the source, if it need compression.

A compressor will make sense in that place, after an effect, that will produce highly dynamic sounds, so the sound might benefit from compression. That place can be anywhere after the first effect. But maybe you want that dynamic sound going into the next effect? Then maybe after the second effect. And so on.

But if you need to shape the sound, not necessarily compressing it, then probably as first unit in the chain.

On the other hand, if you have a delay as a first effect in the chain and you want to bring those delay trails upfront, then right after the delay.

Maybe you can get some dynamic control and loudness with distortion as well. That might even sound better. Then the quest for the right place begins all over again.

...you see, it really depends what you are trying to achieve :mrgreen:

PS: If there is no dynamic in the sound or the sound doesn't need shaping, just don't use a compressor. Only use tools, where they really are needed.

Technologear?
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Technologear? » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:35 am

Try this:
FX send A to BB COfilter.
Bass out into Overdrive then return into channel 1
Mix out into Boum into delay into reverb then return channel 2

Be careful not to FX send from channel 1 or 2 into the chain unintentionally. Intentionally is fine just go slow.

If this sounds too different or disrupting to your current setup, save the suggestion somewhere to revisit later.

Return to “General Gear”