Second SQ-1 - why do I feel slightly embarrassed?

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Second SQ-1 - why do I feel slightly embarrassed?

Post by deke » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:25 am

I find the Sq-1 to be super accessible and easy to use as not just a little simple sequencer, but as a 1-16 step source of clocked modulation. It is effortless and to me very playable. For example, I often use it to send CV to the Aux(s) of my Metropolis, FLXS1 and/or have it synced to outputs form my clock divider, clock divider via sequential switch and more. In some ways I almost see it as a module with more in common with my Batumi than a sequencer. I use it all the time and really enjoy using it. Given this, in a totally impulsive moment, I ordered a second one. I know I will use it. Even so, part of me feels like I am being "anti modular" and that everything should be in the rack and everything be really complicated like Maths, or super sophisticated like some multi track DAW like sequencer... I'm half serious here, but wonder how others think about this.

Kawouddd
Veteran Wiggler

Re: Second SQ-1 - why do I feel slightly embarrassed?

Post by Kawouddd » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:30 am

I rate it. I purposefully bought an SQ-1 before the SQ-64 came out, and when a couple of places appeared to be winding down stocking the 1. It is dinky, flexible, battery powered (?), manipulable on the fly, and (relatively speaking) dirt cheap. It ALSO works with my Korg stash. Indeed, part of my original motivation for getting it was to work between and around a Syntrx and an MS-20.

NiteEagle
Common Wiggler

Post by NiteEagle » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:44 am

Don't feel embarrassed.

Chief circuit wrangler at SDIY Chicago

abruzzi
Common Wiggler

Post by abruzzi » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:29 pm

I got one with my MS20m a couple years ago, and I haven’t turned it on. I just can’t figure step sequencers out. They’re alien to how I play, but if it works for you, why sweat it?

nolongerhuman
Veteran Wiggler

Post by nolongerhuman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:34 pm

Don’t be.

I’ve bought and sold *6* SQ-1’s over the last four years. I keep thinking I won’t need it, it’s just in the way... and then I end up needing something it does down the line. Now I have one that I bought when it looked like production was ramping down due to the announcement of the new version, and this SQ-1 is my forever friend.

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:47 pm

Cool. FYI, I power mine by USB. I also highly recommend third party knobs like this one: https://spillerphoto.com/product/knobs_black_korg_sq1/

However, these were the best (discontinued):

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:48 pm

NiteEagle wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:44 am
Don't feel embarrassed.

Is that really you, or a link you found? If it is you, can you tell us how you use them?

Yes Powder
Powder that makes you say "Yes"

Post by Yes Powder » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:23 pm

If it works for you and it's cheap, then what's the problem?
I see a bunch of people on here getting obsessed with doing everything "in the box", and it always seemed really silly to me. (Like, why waste precious HP by putting a 0Coast or Mother32 in their case, for any reason except to make it look more full? But I digress...)
I have several sequencer modules, and I know I don't need to tell you that most of them are bulky and EXPENSIVE. Kinda wish I went the SQ1 route (though it wasn't out yet when I first started putting my system together) because if I did I would have a lot more free HP, as well as money for other modules.

helix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by helix » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:42 pm

Just do what works for you. Not just in modular but in music in general. (and in life, as long as nobody is getting hurt ha)
FOR SALE: M.N DPO. X0X HEART, CHORD V2, SENSIBLE OFFERS! UK

https://michaeldow.bandcamp.com/album/m ... light-side
https://soundcloud.com/obleomusic

RickKleffel
Wiggling with Experience

Post by RickKleffel » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:20 pm

From the Department of Old, Stupid and Lazy, I can say without hesitation that I managed to combine an SQ1, an O-Coast and a Boog into a passable drum machine. You can have a lot of fun, which for my measure, is the point. Have at it!

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:42 pm

Is it discontinued now then? Like mine too - don't use it all the time but handy to have around particularly for smaller setups

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:51 pm

lud wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:42 pm
Is it discontinued now then? Like mine too - don't use it all the time but handy to have around particularly for smaller setups
I can’t imagine why they would do this. I have no desire for the SQ-64. It just doesn’t fit my needs.

crowleywaltz
Common Wiggler

Post by crowleywaltz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:57 pm

Desk space is usually cheaper then case space and the SQ-1 does a lot that it'd take multiple modules to do. Seems perfectly reasonable.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:24 pm

deke wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:51 pm
lud wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:42 pm
I can’t imagine why they would do this. I have no desire for the SQ-64. It just doesn’t fit my needs.
I agree - the 64 seems so different, not a replacement at all unless korg only want one sequencer in their line

jdaddyaz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jdaddyaz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:27 pm

They're so cheap, I don't see any reason not to have several.
Last edited by jdaddyaz on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be good to yourself, and be good to others.

Joe.
Wired for sound

Post by Joe. » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:32 pm

jdaddyaz wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:27 pm
There so cheap, I don't see any reason not to have several.
Korg chose not to have a reset input. :deadbanana:

unexpectedbowtie
Wiggling with Experience

Post by unexpectedbowtie » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:35 pm

I like the SQ1. I replaced the knobs a long time ago for transparent ones (900H or whatever they are calle), which made it way nicer to use.

pixelmechanic
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pixelmechanic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:53 pm

I've got two, they're really playable, tons of fun features, slide etc. and versatile for the price.

They also act as great expanders for some of the other things I have (e.g. adding an offset to Dark Time or Doepfer Quantiser).

I tend to turn them on more than the DT and waaaay more than my BSP. Hope to have some time to see how one of them pairs with a recent purchase of 0-ctrl.

This video taught me a few new tricks regarding slides and gates in particular -

funeralcake
Wiggling with Experience

Post by funeralcake » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:10 pm

I understand the appeal of keeping everything inside the case, even to the point of going overboard with it sometimes. A lot of people go so far as to convert these Korg volca units into racked modules. It feels "right" to have everything conveniently mounted and securely in place in a single station or series of stations.

But I am not sure I understand why anyone would feel it's supposed to be that way, or that using external/non-boutique/non-professional hardware is somehow being "anti-modular" or is in some way illegitimate. In fact, I don't understand how being "anti-modular" actually means anything unless you eschew modular gear entirely, or else only use it begrudgingly.

It's a non-issue. Who are you trying to prove yourself to? They're not worth the stress.
useless

Hissstories
Common Wiggler

Post by Hissstories » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Just found some old recordings I did with the SQ-1 and it made me think about picking one up again. Add an old stringer into the mix, instant Berlin school. It’s a pleasantly simple piece of gear. All too rare these days.

Anyone using it to control CV/exp inputs on guitar pedals?

Pagoda-100
Common Wiggler

Post by Pagoda-100 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:31 pm

I love messing around with different sequencers. Have tried a bunch at all sorts of price points. I just got a SQ-1 recently and for me it's awesome. Much more fun than I thought it would be.

What pushed me to try it was two things:
1. The SQ64... Figured it would be super interesting but after reading and watching videos I'm less interested and decided to try the SQ1
2. The number of people doing real good stuff with the SQ1. Not to mention you see a bunch of them running the expensive banana systems...
Yes, Buchla has some crazy sequencers but in the world of Serge, Bugbrand ect. these are real popular. Not to mention how good it is at "minimal" and Berlin type stuff.

Without using the SQ64 I can't say for sure but I get the feeling there is room in the market for something between the SQ1 and SQ64. Who knows. I bet I will try the 64 and if its too fussy it will make it to my Reverb store. The SQ1 however is welcome to stay.

helix
Ultra Wiggler

Post by helix » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

funeralcake wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:10 pm
I understand the appeal of keeping everything inside the case, even to the point of going overboard with it sometimes. A lot of people go so far as to convert these Korg volca units into racked modules. It feels "right" to have everything conveniently mounted and securely in place in a single station or series of stations.

But I am not sure I understand why anyone would feel it's supposed to be that way, or that using external/non-boutique/non-professional hardware is somehow being "anti-modular" or is in some way illegitimate. In fact, I don't understand how being "anti-modular" actually means anything unless you eschew modular gear entirely, or else only use it begrudgingly.

It's a non-issue. Who are you trying to prove yourself to? They're not worth the stress.
Precisely, i mean, i literally don't get posts like these. Who's judging? Make music. Dont worry. Dont spend time posting stuff like this that only adds to your negative emotions. Just have fun, who cares what we think?
FOR SALE: M.N DPO. X0X HEART, CHORD V2, SENSIBLE OFFERS! UK

https://michaeldow.bandcamp.com/album/m ... light-side
https://soundcloud.com/obleomusic

deke
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deke » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:58 pm

helix wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm
funeralcake wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:10 pm

Precisely, i mean, i literally don't get posts like these. Who's judging? Make music. Dont worry. Dont spend time posting stuff like this that only adds to your negative emotions. Just have fun, who cares what we think?
What would be the difference between not getting posts like this and literally not getting posts like this? :-)
It is the synth mean girl bullies that have their little in groups all over this forum that judge us all. We need to revolt!

drox
Wiggling with Experience

Post by drox » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:21 pm

Hissstories wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:21 pm
Was also wondering this. am thinking of picking one up for this exact reason

pmboos
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pmboos » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:51 pm

drox wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:21 pm
Hissstories wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:21 pm
Was also wondering this. am thinking of picking one up for this exact reason
Not yet, but I think I may give it a shot in the not too distant future.

---
Anyway, I really like the SQ-1 (I have two). They are dirt simple to set up and play with live. I like several other sequencers, but it is the SQ-1 I reach for first when I have an idea as it doesn't get in the way with extra fiddliness. My actual next thing to hook it up to though is my CS-15 that I recently got back from the shop.
---
“What actions can be taken to create a joyful, inspiring, and productive work environment?"

Return to “General Gear”