drum pads with CV/Gate outputs

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

soundsculptor
Common Wiggler

drum pads with CV/Gate outputs

Post by soundsculptor » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:54 am

Are there any besides the Beatstep pro?
My search didn´t find much..
don´t critisize it - equalize it

ablearcher
Veteran Wiggler

Re: drum pads with CV/Gate outputs

Post by ablearcher » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:10 pm

not really. you can always buy cheapo drum pads and plug them into some sort of drum trigger interface. Most the pads made for v-drum type kits are just piezos attached to foam or mesh, which you could use with a modular system. You can make this yourself too (but it is somewhat difficult to make a durable piezo anything). You can also just tape a bunch of piezos to your desk and tap on them.

the nono modular rover case has foam pads mounted on piezos in the lid, which I always find tempting.

sometimes I wonder if there is a market for a nice-ish drum pad with gate/trigger and cv out, no digital stuff, and think about making one... the list of projects is long but.... what would you want in something like this? Are you looking just for finger drumming, or sticks, or another sequencer like the BSP (there are a bunch of options if that's the case)?

soundsculptor
Common Wiggler

Post by soundsculptor » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:15 am

Hey there, the nono cases look very nice, never heard of them before.
Good suggestion with the foam + piezos. I will look into this idea.

I am looking for finger drumming mostly, and would like to record the gates into loopers, without quantization.
This is the most basic functionality that is the hardest to find.
This is of course with a digital looper..
But the idea of "no digital anything" appeals to me, because of latency. I do computer music and will continue to do so. But using the Push2 with Ableton just doesn´t feel right, latency is OK but still my brain is distracted by the computer.
I am investing in getting rid of the Computer for the stage and make the Modular a standalone instrument. I am quite close.. the BSP is compromise for now perhaps. But I don´t think I will use the sequencing on there so it´s a waste of ressources, I don´t like the weight and size for things I don´t use.

Ishkash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ishkash » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:20 am

A MIDI-to-CV converter will take your MIDI drum hardware of choice into CV/Gate land...

soundsculptor
Common Wiggler

Post by soundsculptor » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:23 am

Ishkash wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:20 am
A MIDI-to-CV converter will take your MIDI drum hardware of choice into CV/Gate land...
Yes, that´s a possibilty of course. I have the 7u performance case, could use the 1u midi module. But how is the latency with this thing?
the Assimil8tor adds almost zero latency, that was a major reason for me to get this sampler. so some latency with the midi stuff is allright, I guess.

Ishkash
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Ishkash » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:32 am

My only experience thus far is with the Expert Sleepers FH-2. I have no issues with latency while using it. There is a USB-A port that can connect up to 4 MIDI controllers at a time, and a USB-C port that acts as a host-to-host connector. Speaking of which...the FH-2 is also a USB MIDI Host! The extra bits may be overkill for your needs, though. I like it so much as a source of gates that I bought the gate expander for it.

It's like a "Swiss Army Knife" of MIDI-to-CV (with a little CV-to-MIDI sprinkled in)...I like it.
Last edited by Ishkash on Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:40 am

the MPC one and X (and Live 2) have CV outs that you can directly assign/play with the excellent AKAI pads

dBVelocity
Wiggling with Experience

Post by dBVelocity » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:40 am

wavejockey wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:40 am
the MPC one and X (and Live 2) have CV outs that you can directly assign/play with the excellent AKAI pads
The problem there is the MPC needs a separate track for each of the CV/gate out. So you'd be left with the same issue of assigning the midi notes/pads via a midi CV converter in order to finger drum the Assimil8or channels together.

Maybe consider the Tetrapad in drum mode. It would have a different feel but there are the other modes as a bonus when the loop has been captured.

wavejockey
Wiggling with Experience

Post by wavejockey » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:11 am

true

what about four bricks rook from shakmat modular ?
http://www.shakmatmodular.com/products/4br.html

if you want a/1 pad that responds to pressure, velocity and appreciate no Quantizatation in small HP, try SDS Digital Rit_M
http://www.freshnelly.com/ritm/ritm.htm

(i considered the tetrapad but was put off because it outputs only +5V, which is not a good match for the Assimil8or)

Return to “General Gear”