Apogee Symphony I/O

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, Joe.

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Apogee Symphony I/O

Post by sascha.victoria » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:22 pm

If anyone is considering getting the new Symphony I/O system be forewarned, there is a considerable amount of fan noise. It is much louder then my 2 x 2.8 Quad Core Intel Xeon Apple computer and is now the loudest thing in my room. Previously my room was what I considered to be essentially silent.

I would compare the sound to a hard drive spinning up and down, up and down, up and down. Vroom vroom... On GearSlutz people were saying that it's the same volume as a current Mac tower but that's not the case for me. I assume most people on this forum that would consider upgrading to these converters do not have a separate machine room so this is something to consider as it's pretty freaking annoying.

Other then that, its' a sweet product.

analogsteve
There is no Santa Claus

Post by analogsteve » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Thanks for the heads up!

awesome
Common Wiggler

Post by awesome » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:32 pm

that is disappointing to hear but check out these isolation boxes, it would fix ur problems i think and u could put ur computer in it http://www.custom-consoles.com/isobox.php

the symphony comes with rack ears as accessories right?

we used an isolation box very similiar in some of our studios at school, probablly the same company since they are local, worked perfectly.

i hate to hear that the Symphony is that loud cause i wanted to go that route myself. oh well, i wanted an iso box for my mac anyways.

bsmith
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bsmith » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:39 pm

You might try very carefully getting that fan out and seeing if you can get to the spindle it sits on - most of them you just need to peel a sticker back - if it is accessible put 1 drop of sewing machine oil in there, which you can grab from any fabric or sewing place. I started doing this a few years ago to anything that has a fan in my cave and everything runs whisper quiet. DISCLAIMER: I'M JUST SOME YAHOO WHO VERY WELL MAY NOT KNOW WHAT THE FUCK HE'S TALKING ABOUT, AND THIS MAY FUCK YOUR SHIT UP! THERE'S POWER SHIT IN THERE TOO, AND JUST BECAUSE IT'S UNPLUGGED DOES NOT MEAN IT STILL CAN"T BITE YOU.
That's interesting find out that it is so loud - I've been wanting to check one out as a possible replacement for my digi 002r now that pro tools has opened up hardware-wise.

attacksustain
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Apogee Symphony I/O

Post by attacksustain » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:45 pm

sascha.victoria wrote:If anyone is considering getting the new Symphony I/O system be forewarned, there is a considerable amount of fan noise. It is much louder then my 2 x 2.8 Quad Core Intel Xeon Apple computer and is now the loudest thing in my room. Previously my room was what I considered to be essentially silent.

I would compare the sound to a hard drive spinning up and down, up and down, up and down. Vroom vroom... On GearSlutz people were saying that it's the same volume as a current Mac tower but that's not the case for me. I assume most people on this forum that would consider upgrading to these converters do not have a separate machine room so this is something to consider as it's pretty freaking annoying.
Have you spoken to Apogee about it ? Maybe yours is defective.

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:37 pm

I'm 99% sure my unit is not defective as most users are posting similar results. I did have my first session with it tracking drums and they do sound better then the AD/DA 16x converters. Nothing else had changed in my set up so that makes me feel a little better. Also, when you have a full track cranking you really can't hear the box. It's only really an issue if you were trying to track acoustic guitar or something quiet in your control room which I do on a regular basis.

I'm going to put it under my desk for a week and see how it goes. After that I may look into an iso box. I don't want to rush into spending another $1000+ on a rack. Wah Wah.

richard
bananaphile

Post by richard » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:24 am

I'd send it back. A premium priced audio interface with any fan noise is simply not acceptible in my book - how are you supposed to hear noise on a track?
Bastard Science Vol.1 and 2 (Hordik, Buchla, Serge, EMS, Oberheim) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-1
https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ence-vol-2

Tales from the Voodoo Box (EMS Synthi A solos) https://soundanatomy.bandcamp.com/album ... ynthesiser

Richard Scott - Several Circles https://cuspeditions.bandcamp.com/album ... al-circles

sascha.victoria
deleted/nevermind

Post by sascha.victoria » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:24 am

richard wrote:I'd send it back. A premium priced audio interface with any fan noise is simply not acceptible in my book - how are you supposed to hear noise on a track?
It's not as if they're premium priced and they sound like shit. They definitely sound better / bigger without what I'd call the bright Apogee sound the previous generation converters had. They also have higher head room before the soft clipping engages. For whatever reason the technology has changed and you don't need 2 separate rack units for AD/DA. Part of that trade off is a fan that sounds like a hard drive. Weather or not you can live with that is up to you. I think I'll take my chances...

Fubard
Common Wiggler

Post by Fubard » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:31 am

Hi guys! Just thought I’d suggest a noctua quiet fan. I installed one in my new (to me) Symphony MK1. Now its super quiet.

Just know the connector fits but the red n black wires are backwards. Youll have to sacrifice the included extension cable & make an adaptor. Just cross red n black. Be sure n solder w clean joints n use heat shrink. Tape will unravel or get nasty sticky over time F you over after a few yrs.

Haven't tested w a meter or anything but it feels like it moves as much air but is super hush. The only time I hear it is on startup when it spins up to a mere whisper, then eases back down to its normal operating ninja level. I love these things. Put one in the MPC4000 & the Soundcraft Ghost PSU.

A few of the chips get quite hot, considering adding lil heat sinks. Maybe I’ll do a Symphony Mod thread once its all done. Prolly not tho lol

As fans age, they get noisier. Replacing the fan helps, replacing it w modern stealth tech is even better.

Hope this helps at least ONE! :tu:

(Edit) Yeh, sorry for necro post but I searched n this came up. Also, any stealth fan may do, I’m not willing to defend the brand at all.
Thanks!

Fubard
Common Wiggler

Post by Fubard » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:34 am

Hi guys! Just thought I’d suggest a noctua quiet fan. I installed one in my new (to me) Symphony MK1. Now its super quiet.

Just know the connector fits but the red n black wires are backwards. Youll have to sacrifice the included extension cable & make an adaptor. Just cross red n black. Be sure n solder w clean joints n use heat shrink. Tape will unravel or get nasty sticky over time F you over after a few yrs.

Haven't tested w a meter or anything but it feels like it moves as much air but is super hush. The only time I hear it is on startup when it spins up to a mere whisper, then eases back down to its normal operating ninja level. I love these things. Put one in the MPC4000 & the Soundcraft Ghost PSU.

A few of the chips get quite hot, considering adding lil heat sinks. Maybe I’ll do a Symphony Mod thread once its all done. Prolly not tho lol

As fans age, they get noisier. Replacing the fan helps, replacing it w modern stealth tech is even better.

Hope this helps at least ONE! :tu:
Thanks!

Esppse
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Esppse » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:23 am

I own the original, I wonder how great can be greater

Return to “General Gear”